"Black people were better off during the Jim Crow era"-the coli

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
People have differing experiences from that era...just like post-civil rights isn't all kumbaya and racial harmony that was sold to us (see: the skyrocketed black incarceration rate & annual police killings since the civil rights acts passed) everything wasn't all the way terrible in our own truly black run communities (unlike what we have today)...my grandparents grew up in 1940/50's DC in a now notorious neighborhood (for all the wrong reasons) called "barry farms"...this was a neighborhood where you could once leave your doors unlocked, go out for a stroll at any time of the night without being robbed/shot...

today though? :usure:

here's a glimpse of what i'm talking about in description of an even wealthier BLACK RUN part of the city from the time period...
I'm glad a few of us was eating while the rest were starving:ehh:

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad a few of us was eating while the rest were starving:ehh:

All that was built in less than 60 years removed from chattel slavery :ehh:

And the black poverty rate was rapidly reducing with every decade :ehh:

For context...50% of whites lived in poverty during that era (1920-40) :ehh:

Black-White Homeownership gap was smaller in 1950 than it is today :ehh:

The Black-White life expectancy gap was cut in half from 1929-1961 :ehh:

Yet the gap has barely moved from 1961-2016 :ehh:

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
All that was built in less than 60 years removed from chattel slavery :ehh:

And the black poverty rate was rapidly reducing with every decade :ehh:

For context...50% of whites lived in poverty during that era (1920-40) :ehh:

Black-White Homeownership gap was smaller in 1950 than it is today :ehh:

The Black-White life expectancy gap was cut in half from 1929-1961 :ehh:

Yet the gap has barely moved from 1961-2016 :ehh:

we got alotta black folks crediting the baby boomers for the accomplishments of THEIR ancestors :wow:

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
we got alotta black folks crediting the baby boomers for the accomplishments of THEIR ancestors :wow:

Not all black folks from that era agreed INITIALLY with the "civil rights" sham...but they were eventually coerced into buying into it by the media and the government...and certain figures they put on a pedastal to push integrating with whites as THE black agenda...all the "civil rights act" did was grant further autonomy for whites in (what used to be) black communities...we exchanged some semblance of autonomy and self-suffiency for a quadripled incarceration rate, 400-500 dead blacks a year at the hands of cops (800-1000 in the 70's-80's) and to place the woman as the head of the black household at the tune of about 60-70% per household...where pre-"civil rights" 80% of black households were headed by both a man & woman....fair tradeoff, eh? :ehh:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
BAao2ZK

This is what you c00ns don't understand. 25,000 in the 60s is WAY MORE than 33,000 in 2016 smh
Please tell me you're trolling :deadrose:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No one's actually said the quote in OP's. title, though.

Black people in America at no point have ever been "better" off.
Nah, trust me on this one, we're better off now than we were in the 1930s, and we're a hell of a lot better off than we were in the 1840s.
And there have been countless posters who have tried to push the idea that integration destroyed the "Black community" as if it was all roses before "integration."

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
youre still missing the point:wow:

Racial pride TODAY is at its lowest as its ever been:wow:

I know it cant be measured with a graph but black love and unity is also at its lowest:wow:

Why is it JUST NOW becoming a trend for blacks to put their funds into black-owned banks? Thats something that we should have BEEN doing? Matter fact, "black first" should be a NATURAL mindset for us to have, but its not. :wow:

Im not saying blacks were better off back then, but integration KILLED our fighting spirit as a people. Just taking a look at who owns shyt in black areas should tell you all you need to know. We got a LONG way to go mentally, shyt is NOT all gravy.....unless you're happy and content with the way things are currently:ld:
There is no way to measure "racial pride."
And considering no one alive has been fully aware of the predominant racial attitudes of ever AA population since the 1860s, there's no way to even quantify that idea.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not all black folks from that era agreed INITIALLY with the "civil rights" sham...but they were eventually coerced into buying into it by the media and the government...and certain figures they put on a pedastal to push integrating with whites as THE black agenda...all the "civil rights act" did was grant further autonomy for whites in (what used to be) black communities...we exchanged some semblance of autonomy and self-suffiency for a quadripled incarceration rate, 400-500 dead blacks a year at the hands of cops (800-1000 in the 70's-80's) and to place the woman as the head of the black household at the tune of about 60-70% per household...where pre-"civil rights" 80% of black households were headed by both a man & woman....fair tradeoff, eh? :ehh:
This is so wrong on so many levels.

1st off while people always had full autonomy in black neighborhoods. They are the ones who created the neighborhoods in the first place. Black people were still subject to the laws of America in whatever community they lived in.

2. There was only "self sufficiency" out of necessity and black people did not have the resources to be self sufficient and have a high quality of life on a large scale.

3. Incarceration rate went up for all Americans, it's obviously worse for black Americans, but still nowhere near the level of injustice black people were subject to before civil rights.

4. Your number about black women headed households is just wrong. But beyond that, your concept of the black family and it's place in history is just wrong. Marriage in 1940 was a much different institution than it is today. Just quoting the "out of wedlock" rate and comparing it ignores a lot of very important context.

DynamoEAR

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston/ATL
This is so wrong on so many levels.

1st off while people always had full autonomy in black neighborhoods. They are the ones who created the neighborhoods in the first place. Black people were still subject to the laws of America in whatever community they lived in.

2. There was only "self sufficiency" out of necessity and black people did not have the resources to be self sufficient and have a high quality of life on a large scale.

3. Incarceration rate went up for all Americans, it's obviously worse for black Americans, but still nowhere near the level of injustice black people were subject to before civil rights.

4. Your number about black women headed households is just wrong. But beyond that, your concept of the black family and it's place in history is just wrong. Marriage in 1940 was a much different institution than it is today. Just quoting the "out of wedlock" rate and comparing it ignores a lot of very important context.
nikkas sound a lot like right wing white people back in the day hollering about how good things were back in the day before the 50's and 60's started. :sas1::whistle:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
nikkas sound a lot like right wing white people back in the day hollering about how good things were back in the day before the 50's and 60's started. :sas1::whistle:
I just watched a Cac bytch on CNN defending Donald trump by presenting a lot of these same arguments verbatim.

nikkas don't know how truly lost they are :smh:

AJaRuleStan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Killa Queens
Solid post. But I'm reminded of the phrase that Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger created, realpolitik. Realpolitik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In theory I could agree with Thomas Sowell, but in theory I could agree with Karl Marx. In practice Thomas Sowell's notion of economics goes out the window and we are left in the real world.

I'm not sure what this means, but Sowell's -- and others like him -- analysis of economic systems is built on reality based facts like scarcity and trade-offs. That is the real world.

Solid post. But I'm reminded of the phrase that Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger created, realpolitik. Realpolitik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I can tell you that no African-American I know is willing to settle for anything less than full equality...

I apologize, I should of made this clear in my earlier post. When I use the phrase equality, i'm using it to refer to achieving the end of "inequality in outcomes", not in reference to how standards and rules are to be applied within a society which I think is what you thought I meant. So, in other words, I do not accept inequality in opportunity and nor should blacks or any group. As for the idea or talking points behind inequality of outcomes, I view those as distractions for more achieve goals, specifically, just raising standards of living in general.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I do not accept inequality in opportunity and nor should blacks or any group. As for the idea or talking points behind inequality of outcomes, I view those as distractions for more achieve goals, specifically, just raising standards of living in general.
Agreed 100%

People get too caught up in a comparison instead of just trying to improve lives.

Doesn't matter where black peoples "stats" fall as long as we are free to be happy and prosperous.

Black people as a whole will NEVER be equal with whites as a whole. History has already decided that. So measuring black peoples success by comparing us to whites is and always has been an exercise in futility. And thats what the "black people were better off before integration" argument usually relies on. A comparison to white people devoid of proper historical context.