Black Panther is not a symbol of pro-blackness

Hejdå

Inactive
Daps
I'm going to see it. Sure it's not black owned but as many cats have said, the movie is progress in the right direction since

- It's the most expensive black film made that contains a majority black cast and black directed.
- It's propagandizing black people in a superior light, with intelligent black warriors lead by a black king living in the most advanced nation on the planet.
- It's also propagandizing black love/black families which is important these days.

Now I've never seen or been interested in Star Wars but from what I understand cats were bamboozled when Boyega got made to look pathetic so that the white girl would shine, so after that people are already suspect that it's going to happen again in this movie. However given that there's only 2 white people in this movie whom one is a villain and the other is comic relief, I highly doubt Black Panther is gonna get upstaged. Unless Black Widow shows up out of nowhere and hogs the spotlight for half the movie then gets to be his queen, but that's silly and based on borderline paranoia, which btw I'm not innocent of because I've the slightest of feelings that an Avenger or Winter Soldier might jump in to help.

But even so, I'm still gonna support it. If you're not gonna support the movie cuz Disney owns it at least go support the directors and the cast so that more opportunities can be created for big black films to be made in the future because I guarantee if this fails we'll be taking 2 steps back and it'll be a long time till we see something like this happen again.

Now if they assigned a couple black writers to the comic and modernized it...and made it darker...or even a few graphic novels. It still belongs to Marvel, but a cool opportunity exists with it. :yeshrug:

The most prominent writers of Black Panthers are black. (Priest, Hudlin and Coates)

During Priests and Hudlins runs there have been tones of dark material and a lot of political drama in them, more in Priests than Hudlin.

Black Sinatra

Raised Glass to the Squandered Potentials..
Daps
Reppin
DSGB
I'm going to see it. Sure it's not black owned but as many cats have said, the movie is progress in the right direction since

- It's the most expensive black film made that contains a majority black cast and black directed.
- It's propagandizing black people in a superior light, with intelligent black warriors lead by a black king living in the most advanced nation on the planet.
- It's also propagandizing black love/black families which is important these days.

Now I've never seen or been interested in Star Wars but from what I understand cats were bamboozled when Boyega got made to look pathetic so that the white girl would shine, so after that people are already suspect that it's going to happen again in this movie. However given that there's only 2 white people in this movie whom one is a villain and the other is comic relief, I highly doubt Black Panther is gonna get upstaged. Unless Black Widow shows up out of nowhere and hogs the spotlight for half the movie then gets to be his queen, but that's silly and based on borderline paranoia, which btw I'm not innocent of because I've the slightest of feelings that an Avenger or Winter Soldier might jump in to help.

But even so, I'm still gonna support it. If you're not gonna support the movie cuz Disney owns it at least go support the directors and the cast so that more opportunities can be created for big black films to be made in the future because I guarantee if this fails we'll be taking 2 steps back and it'll be a long time till we see something like this happen again.

The most prominent writers of Black Panthers are black. (Priest, Hudlin and Coates)

During Priests and Hudlins runs there have been tones of dark material and a lot of political drama in them, more in Priests than Hudlin.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the info. I might cop a few issues for the kid.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
It also opens up a discussion of civilization, actual resource exploitation, geo-politics, pride, and ancestry.

I think dicussion on those topics may be the BP franchise's biggest contribution in the long run.

I don't entirely agree with OP but he has a point: this is a Marvel production and a Disney-owned product. The film's profits will go to them and the creative direction of this film and its sequels will be determined by them. That's an undeniable fact. So for someone to say that the movie itself isn't a symbol of pro-blackness isn't much of a stretch. I understand where @Rainman is coming from.

That said, Black Panther as a character and as a story has a lot of strong, relevant political elements that need to be discussed. From T'Challa showcasing competent leadership, to the Black Panther mantle being a long-lasting institution, to the differing view on xenophobia and interacting with foreigners and foreign powers from T'Challa's inner circle and his villains, to the formation of Wakanda itself. All these questions and more are relevant to black folks everywhere and especially concerning Africa itself.

My hope is that--in addition to entertaining the audience and showcasing good portrayals of the characters--the movie(s) gets enough folks thinking about the "big picture" stuff and inspires them to make some positive things happen. That alone would make the movie stand out from the pack.

Last edited:

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"I DON'T CARE IF ONLY WHITE PEOPLE ARE GUNNA GET RICH OFF THIS, IMMA SEE THIS FILM 5 TIMES IN THE THEATER, AND BUY THE DVD. EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN'T BOUGHT BLACK OWNED IN YEARS IF EVER"
full

:laff::laff:

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO

Obviously the dumbest tweet pertaining to Black Panther. Why say some dumb shyt like this and black people don’t own nor control the intellectual property?! It’s a fukking comic book movie based on a fictional country owned and created by white people.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Obviously the dumbest tweet pertaining to Black Panther. Why say some dumb shyt like this and black people don’t own nor control the intellectual property?! It’s a fukking comic book movie based on a fictional country owned and created by white people.

She's an idiot. :kanyebp:

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
This just shows alot of our people truly dont read and barely uses the internet to do research...people stay on Twitter,IG and Facebook :francis:

Any person with an ounce of logic in their brain could see that if its made by a billion dollar "super hero" company, its not FROM us.

Daps
You're not going to convince anyone on social media that has already made up their mind about how great this movie is. You'll just be called a hater or they will say you are trying to ruin their fun or whatever. There are lots of "Pro Black" people out there who are selectively Pro Black.

BrandonBanks

Arab Money
Daps
i'm not against the movie or against anyone going to see it, what i don't get is nikkas who act like the movie is going to change something,and saying stuff like "see, we are making strides" black people (in this case actors) working for white people as usual, how is that a "stride"?

Then you got nikkas flat out lying saying, "black actors will eventually use this money to create black owned things" No, most will just continue to rely on whites/non blacks for roles/jobs. You already know that.

"We iz happy because they iz employing us, they iz blacks in the movie :blessed:we gots representation":gucci: if nikkas are this hype over "representation" and symbolism, we really are regressing. A lot of black ppl refuse to believe those "black wealth dropping stats" but i believe it. We're so impressed by symbolism and shyt ("they is black folks in da movie, they getting a check") instead of ownership.

Last edited:

BrandonBanks

Arab Money
Daps
And for all those saying, "don't talk about this, just let us enjoy the movie, we struggling out here, let us have some fun" etc that's called "escapism". Reality (black people's economic state) is grim, so we want to escape through entertainment/fun. Let's just call that what it is.

Skrilla

MVP
Daps
Reppin
Cali
i keep seeing ppl say this is "black progress". What "progress" is the movie going to make? It's a movie.:comeon:we've had movies with black ppl in them before. it's ok to be happy about the movie, but some of you are delusional. i wish most of us would support (or start) black businesses the way we run out to support a movie.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
And for all those saying, "don't talk about this, just let us enjoy the movie, we struggling out here, let us have some fun" etc that's called "escapism". Reality (black people's economic state) is grim, so we want to escape through entertainment/fun. Let's just call that what it is.

"Fun is prohibited until we fix the socioeconomic inequalities within the African diaspora" :birdman:

I'm pretty sure you consume some other type of media, be it other movies, TV shows, video games, music, novels, etc.

All entertainment is "escapism". All of it. Even if it's based on fact.

There's no reason to single out this film alone as being escapist.

Last edited:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I don’t know why I see tons of Facebook profile pictures of the cinanamatic black panther helmet with the red green and black filter like it’s some black owned and black controlled property. I mean damn nikka y’all rocking that as a testament to black excellence but not a black hand was involved in its creation nor the movie is made by black executive producers (Fiege).

Yeah I get he’s a strong, respectful, and intelligent black comic book character but that’s where it should end. He should not be looked at as a symbol of pro-blackness since we don’t own or control the property.
The plus, main comic book character is black.
How many decades of movies with Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Captain America, Wonder Woman and Ironman did the movie industry finally say, "I guess we can't hold out any longer, let's have a black comic book character."
They even dapped the gays first with gay Green Lantern before coming out with Black Panther. :picard: