Black neighborhoods in "Non-Black" Cities

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
My mom's fam is from South FL.

Deerfield, Lantana, Riviera Beach, Jupiter, Tequesta have a lot of blac folk there

Florida is pretty blac all over besides SW Florida(Naples, etc)...Ft Myers is tha only blac area over there
I forgot to mention Riviera Beach. Its only one of two predominantly Black cities in South Florida that actually touch the coast and has a beach(Fort Pierce being the other). All the other South Florida cities with beaches have large black populations, but aren't predominantly black like Riviera Beach and Fort Pierce.

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
OK. So many folks in Charles Town work in the DMV and commute back and forth. That sounds awesome. I love Mountains myself, so working/partying in DC while living in Charles Town seems idea. WV seems like it could be the next wave for Black people on the East.

:mjpls:

They say u cant beat the cost of living compared to the DMV

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I'm originally from Detroit, but I live in El Paso, TX. Not too many Black people here, especially ones that are actually from here. You can find a large portion of the few Black people on the Northeast, though. It's not really "the hood", but not the greatest area neither. Any other area in this city is Mexican majority. It's a top 20 US largest city, but it might as well be Mexico in terms of culture and proximity to the border.
I've also frequented Albuquerque a lot in the past, and there is a surprisingly decent amount of my fellow Black people there. All throughout New Mexico actually (Roswell, Hatch, Las Cruces, Santa Fe).
Now this is interesting. Yeah, El Paso is huge. But I've always wondered if there were at least one or two neighborhoods in the city that are at least 15% Black or higher.

And Albuquerque is another city I've been curious about. Are there any Black neighborhoods specifically in ABQ? Las Cruces and Santa Fe and Roswell seen like beautiful towns. We all know about Roswell for the Aliens.lol. But Black folks? I REALLY gotta do my research.

I believe Phoenix, and Vegas have the largest Black populations in the Southwest. But then again, they're some of the largest cities east of Cali and West of Texas. So by default, most Black people living in the Southwest are gonna live in those cities.

California's black population was up in the 4milliom range at one( if not in the 4million range, it was pretty damn close). California at one point (contrary to popular belief) was maybe the 2nd Blacked state in terms of raw numbers, it might've even been THE Blackest state. So I can only imagine the floods an droves of Black folks that the surrounding western states have gotten just by being near CA.

Denver is another city who's Black population, really interest me. I need to find some Denver folks to chime in. I know Chauncey Billups and Philip Bailey (from Earth Wind and Fire) are from Denver.

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Funk music in general(many funk musicians from other parts of the US conglomerated in LA and the LA Scene

True that's one of the reason my pops moved to LA from the south. Lonnie Simmons of Total Experince records (Gap Band) is my relative.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
True that's one of the reason my pops moved to LA from the south. Lonnie Simmons of Total Experince records (Gap Band) is my relative.
:krs:

I love Gap Band. Your family has great Musical roots. LA in many ways was the "Funk Capital" of the US.

And the Funk that developed in the LA Scene in the 70's, influenced White bands in LA in the 80's. In particular authentically LA groups like Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They modeled their sound(Funk-Punk) around Parliament-Funkadelic, Bootsy and groups like that.

Speaking of Bootsy, Ohio is another Funk Capitol. Many of those guys made that transition to LA. Ohio Players, Bootsy, etc.

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:krs:

I love Gap Band. Your family has great Musical roots. LA in many ways was the "Funk Capital" of the US.

And the Funk that developed in the LA Scene in the 70's, influenced White bands in LA in the 80's. In particular authentically LA groups like Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They modeled their sound(Funk-Punk) around Parliament-Funkadelic, Bootsy and groups like that.

Speaking of Bootsy, Ohio is another Funk Capitol. Many of those guys made that transition to LA. Ohio Players, Bootsy, etc.

My uncle Lonnie is my dads older cousin. He was the manger/producer/label Ceo of the gap band. Him and my dad owned a club together in the late 70's and promoted concerts in LA and the bay. Ohio was influential but Parliament was still the kings. Out first hiphop group in LA was called the Uncle Jams Army after the parliament funkadelic album. My mom was poplocking in 70s too, I think i spoke on this in another thread.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
We all know about Atl, Chicago, Detroit, DC, B'more, NO, Houston, NYC, LA, Oakland, etc, etc. But I wanna know about some Black neighborhoods in cities that aren't typically associated with "black culture" in the AA Community. Coli folks from cities like Denver, Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle, Omaha, Phoenix, Vegas, Hartford, Bridgeport, Providence RI, etc, come in here and tell me about Black neighborhoods in your cities and overall Black culture in your towns...

:blessed:

believe it or not seattle has some black culture...nothin major but its there..its spread out from seattle to tacoma...i kno first hill and southeast seattle from cats i played ball with

i know june n august they got festivals goin with good turn outs..

oct 7th- nov 11..earshot jazz festival..dope as hell

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
My uncle Lonnie is my dads older cousin. He was the manger/producer/label Ceo of the gap band. Him and my dad owned a club together in the late 70's and promoted concerts in LA and the bay. Ohio was influential but Parliament was still the kings. Out first hiphop group in LA was called the Uncle Jams Army after the parliament funkadelic album. My mom was poplocking in 70s too, I think i spoke on this in another thread.
:salute:

Now THAT'S history. I've heard of Uncle Jams Army and the early-Hip Hop scene in LA. Radio Activity...

:blessed:

"Blood, Cuz, Gangbangin, everybody in the club was doing dope-slangin"

Yeah, while Hip Hop was developing in the South Bronx in the mid-70's LA and California in general we're developing their own street dances(pop-n-lock) and their own street music simultaneously with NYC.

Do you still keep in contact with your uncle? I'm sure he has stories for days. LA and The Bay have had such a large scale impact on Black culture globally.

The Bay and Nor-Cal had their own versions of the Boogaloo and other street dances from what I've seen. Than there's Turfing(Bay Area/NorCal) and Krumping(LA/SoCal).

The street dancng reneissance of the early-00's came about via West Coast films and docus like You Got Served and RIZE.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
believe it or not seattle has some black culture...nothin major but its there..its spread out from seattle to tacoma...i kno first hill and southeast seattle from cats i played ball with

i know june n august they got festivals goin with good turn outs..

oct 7th- nov 11..earshot jazz festival..dope as hell
Yeah, I've read up on The Central District of Seattle, Rainer Beach, and the Rainer Vista Projects. I've also researched the Black community of Tacoma. I heard alot of Black folks headed down towards Tacoma from Seattle. Southeast Seattle and Rainier Beach look beautiful. Looks like an idea Black community. I'd love to visit those areas of Seattle.

Also South East Seattle has produced so many athletes. Nate Robinson, Jason Terry, I think Golden Tate is from Southeast Seattle i believe. Brandon Roy is also from the Seattle area I think.

We all know Sir Mix Alot is from Seattle too. He actually lived in the Rainier Vista Projects from what he said. Sir Mix Alots track "Posse On Broadway" really exposed folks to Black people in Seattle. Then there's Jimi Hendrix.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Yeah, I've read up on The Central District of Seattle, Rainer Beach, and the Rainer Vista Projects. I've also researched the Black community of Tacoma. I heard alot of Black folks headed down towards Tacoma from Seattle. Southeast Seattle and Rainier Beach look beautiful. Looks like an idea Black community. I'd love to visit those areas of Seattle.

Also South East Seattle has produced so many athletes. Nate Robinson, Jason Terry, I think Golden Tate is from Southeast Seattle i believe. Brandon Roy is also from the Seattle area I think.

We all know Sir Mix Alot is from Seattle too. He actually lived in the Rainier Vista Projects from what he said. Sir Mix Alots track "Posse On Broadway" really exposed folks to Black people in Seattle. Then there's Jimi Hendrix.
when i was at oregon...we useta take that couple hr drive all the time..n i was:ohhh:

i said once i get my shyt right..im comin back..got it right..got the hell up out of texas