Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Official Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
The first episode and the last were strong and great

there was some filler in the middle and some decent stuff but imo the general consensus seems to be that the first and last were the highlights

edit:

I'm only talking about the 3rd season with this post btw, not the entire show

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I know what the story is about. A thought provoking premise doesn't excuse shytty writing.
It's not shytty writing as that's not the point. If strategic ops was the demise of the story, how did you look past the actual kidnapping? Stop being a picky nikka because nobody else wants to be as intricate as you are.

Story is about pig fukkn and you're focused on why delta squad didn't rendezvous with tango squad at the northwest corridor
giphy.gif

Daps
Reppin
California
So I was brainstorming potential story ideas. I remembered wanting to write an episode of Black Mirror, and considering the common theme is society becoming numbingly reliant and subsequently undone. I thought of in the future with brain chipping and whatnot, the idea of a business that strives on clients laziness. The irony in this case is that technological advancements inadvertently make us in society complacent.

So I thought, what if in the future a way for people to achieve their physical aspirations without having to do any of the hard work. Obese people wanting to lose weight without lifting a finger or surgery. So there is this "fitness guru" who has partnered with the creators of a new tech that allows these people to have a new era of "fitness trainer", swap consciousness with their clients and work to attain the physical goals while the client's mind is uploaded in a waiting vault or a temporary sleeve until the job is complete. And then of course I throw in the shady fukkery and consequences that eventually fall out...

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
So I was brainstorming potential story ideas. I remembered wanting to write an episode of Black Mirror, and considering the common theme is society becoming numbingly reliant and subsequently undone. I thought of in the future with brain chipping and whatnot, the idea of a business that strives on clients laziness. The irony in this case is that technological advancements inadvertently make us in society complacent.

So I thought, what if in the future a way for people to achieve their physical aspirations without having to do any of the hard work. Obese people wanting to lose weight without lifting a finger or surgery. So there is this "fitness guru" who has partnered with the creators of a new tech that allows these people to have a new era of "fitness trainer", swap consciousness with their clients and work to attain the physical goals while the client's mind is uploaded in a waiting vault or a temporary sleeve until the job is complete. And then of course I throw in the shady fukkery and consequences that eventually fall out...
It actually fits with the show's theme pretty well.:obama:
Then after they wake up "fit" they find out they have been used like "meat puppets" from the book Neuromancer or the TV Show Dollhouse as killers and prostitutes.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

This is a dope idea fam. I could see a bit of the Picture of Dorian Grey working its way into a plot like that if you wanted to go in that direction.

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN

I like this story as well! Good stuff. I could imagine the "fitness trainer" getting someones like all the way together with work, lovelife, everything...but when the client comes back it all falls apart cuz of the difference in personality. Everybody in his life loves the trainer way more than him to the point where they all migrate to the trainer in real life leaving him ready to do something :demonic: instead of moving on with a new fit life.

fukk it since we bouncing story ideas guess i'll throw my story idea out there.

My story is about a man and a woman who are married. They've been in love since high school and been married for 10 years. They have no kids. In those years while things started off good for them....she has been a hardworking, good model wife to him he has become an unemployed, lazy, drug abusing, cheater and abusive husband. She gets fed up and leaves him a few times but whenever she does, he tracks her down(locally to friends and/or parents house) and sweet talks her into reluctantly coming back home to him. A tidbit about the woman is that she is adopted, so while all this goes on with her and the husband she has started a search for her birth parents.

Also in this story the wife keeps seeing these commercials for this memory/mindwipe service that erases bad memories or thoughts if you suffer from clinical depression, suicidal thoughts, etc... She goes in to find out about it and finds out the price of the procedure is pretty expensive depending on how far back you want to go and what memories. She has been saving up money that she was going to use to move far away from the husband and start a new life. She decides to use some of the money to erase the husbands last few transgressions of cheating and abuse from her mind in hopes that she won't hate him to the degree she does without those memories and she doesn't have to run. Well it works....initially. However he just replaces those memories with fresh new ones since his behavior doesn't change. He also figures out she has the money saved up and steals it from her making things far worse for her than they were before. In the meantime two things happen, the first and most important is that she is pregnant.

With this knowledge she conceives a plan, her final ditch effort. She's desperate to leave him for good to spare their child from that kind of man/life. She knows the love she's had for the husband will forever keep her going back to him so just leaving isn't enough. She leaves him a note saying she's leaving for good.not to look for her this time and promptly disappears.

Fast forward roughly 9 months to a year. The husband has searched for his wife and finally located her across the country. He goes to an address. It's a mansion. He sneaks to a window and spots his wife with a baby, he puts two and two together and gets pissed. He composes himself and knocks on the door. The wife comes to door, greets him and asks how can she help him. He launches into sweet talking her but also pointed angry questions about the baby and if she was planning on him not being in his child life. She initially looks perplexed but regains her composure and invites him in. What happens next is an argument which escalates into the husband beating on his wife and her shooting him dead.

The police show up and ask her some questions about the incident. They ask her how she knows the man? Her reply is i don't....at least not anymore. She shows them video of the incident from security cameras showing he attacked her and what clearly looks like a case of self-defense. After the questions, the police leave and she goes back inside and plays a recorded message.....from herself. In the video the wife tells her future self... "You are about to undergo a very expensive and slightly new/experimental procedure, the first of it's kind to push the limits of the memory/mindwipe technology to completely wipe all memories of a person, in this case our husband, from our mind.....paid for by our wealthy birth parents. You won't remember him when you wake but just know he isn't a good guy and that he will find you. He won't leave you alone, especially when he finds out about the baby. You will need to prepare. In your possession are two discs, the one you are watching and another labeled "Who he is"...it is our video diary of our last few years with him...."

The wife holds her baby, smiles loving, looks at the video and says, "Thank you."

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
I like this story as well! Good stuff. I could imagine the "fitness trainer" getting someones like all the way together with work, lovelife, everything...but when the client comes back it all falls apart cuz of the difference in personality. Everybody in his life loves the trainer way more than him to the point where they all migrate to the trainer in real life leaving him ready to do something :demonic: instead of moving on with a new fit life.

fukk it since we bouncing story ideas guess i'll throw my story idea out there.

My story is about a man and a woman who are married. They've been in love since high school and been married for 10 years. They have no kids. In those years while things started off good for them....she has been a hardworking, good model wife to him he has become an unemployed, lazy, drug abusing, cheater and abusive husband. She gets fed up and leaves him a few times but whenever she does, he tracks her down(locally to friends and/or parents house) and sweet talks her into reluctantly coming back home to him. A tidbit about the woman is that she is adopted, so while all this goes on with her and the husband she has started a search for her birth parents.

Also in this story the wife keeps seeing these commercials for this memory/mindwipe service that erases bad memories or thoughts if you suffer from clinical depression, suicidal thoughts, etc... She goes in to find out about it and finds out the price of the procedure is pretty expensive depending on how far back you want to go and what memories. She has been saving up money that she was going to use to move far away from the husband and start a new life. She decides to use some of the money to erase the husbands last few transgressions of cheating and abuse from her mind in hopes that she won't hate him to the degree she does without those memories and she doesn't have to run. Well it works....initially. However he just replaces those memories with fresh new ones since his behavior doesn't change. He also figures out she has the money saved up and steals it from her making things far worse for her than they were before. In the meantime two things happen, the first and most important is that she is pregnant.

With this knowledge she conceives a plan, her final ditch effort. She's desperate to leave him for good to spare their child from that kind of man/life. She knows the love she's had for the husband will forever keep her going back to him so just leaving isn't enough. She leaves him a note saying she's leaving for good.not to look for her this time and promptly disappears.

Fast forward roughly 9 months to a year. The husband has searched for his wife and finally located her across the country. He goes to an address. It's a mansion. He sneaks to a window and spots his wife with a baby, he puts two and two together and gets pissed. He composes himself and knocks on the door. The wife comes to door, greets him and asks how can she help him. He launches into sweet talking her but also pointed angry questions about the baby and if she was planning on him not being in his child life. She initially looks perplexed but regains her composure and invites him in. What happens next is an argument which escalates into the husband beating on his wife and her shooting him dead.

The police show up and ask her some questions about the incident. They ask her how she knows the man? Her reply is i don't....at least not anymore. She shows them video of the incident from security cameras showing he attacked her and what clearly looks like a case of self-defense. After the questions, the police leave and she goes back inside and plays a recorded message.....from herself. In the video the wife tells her future self... "You are about to undergo a very expensive and slightly new/experimental procedure, the first of it's kind to push the limits of the memory/mindwipe technology to completely wipe all memories of a person, in this case our husband, from our mind.....paid for by our wealthy birth parents. You won't remember him when you wake but just know he isn't a good guy and that he will find you. He won't leave you alone, especially when he finds out about the baby. You will need to prepare. In your possession are two discs, the one you are watching and another labeled "Who he is"...it is our video diary of our last few years with him...."

The wife holds her baby, smiles loving, looks at the video and says, "Thank you."
:whoo: good shyt

Gleam

Rookie
Daps
If I had to choose a favourite episode it would probably be Hated In The Nation. That was just fiyah and a dope concept. That 50 Cent type troll rapper. :russ:

This might be one of the most well-written, well thought out episodes of any sci-fi series ever. The drone bees (hive collapse is a VERY real thing; once the bees start disappearing/dying off it's over; 2 out of every 3 bites on a typical meal plate comes from plants pollinated by bees), not to mention the underlying social commentary of groupthink + social media × bullying, and the decline in decency of humanity...just....:ohlawd:

:picard::what::damn::hamster:

:ehh:

Ummm....this is dope. It's like Altered Carbon meets that scene in Wall-E with the obese people in on the conveyor line (though, socially Wall-E had some understandable blowback for this scene, that's for another time):