Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Official Thread)

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La

'Black Mirror' Renewed for Season 5 at Netflix

The Netflix anthology from Charlie Brooker will return for a fifth season, Netflix announced Monday. A premiere date and episode count have yet to be announced.

The streaming giant confirmed the news with a teaser pointing to several critically praised episodes from Black Mirror's catalog and ending with a message referencing season two's "Be Right Back" that starred Hayley Atwell and Domhnall Gleeson. The teaser (posted to social media, below), played to the show's recognizable tune, is also one big Easter egg to season four's "Black Museum," which included a reference to nearly every episode of the series. Watch the video announcement, below.

After launching Black Mirror with the U.K.'s Channel 4, Brooker and executive producer Annabel Jones brought the techno-paranoia horror to Netflix for its critically acclaimed third season. "San Junipero," starring Gugu-Mbatha Raw and Mackenzie Davis, nabbed Brooker and his series two Emmys.

For the third and fourth season, Black Mirror has typically launched each cycle in two, six-episode parts. "It puts us just on the cusp of a nervous breakdown — so it’s working!" Jones has previously told The Hollywood Reporter of the split model. "I think even a number seven would just do us in." Brooker added: "If it was seven, would our brains pop?"

The creative duo took their time when creating seasons three and four, as the series became more vast and ambitious in scope, aiming to tackle new genres and themes so as to remain unpredictable. The third season most notably delivered the series' first "happy ending" with San Junipero and its longest feature with "Hated in the Nation." The fourth episode saw several firsts, including a space epic with "USS Callister" and the shortest and only black-and-white episode with "Metalhead." Jodie Foster also became the series' first female director with "Arkangel."

"You don’t want to hit the same bell again, even though it’s tempting. We have to be unpredictable with the show," Brooker has said.

While it can be expected that the pair will once again bring the series into uncharted territory as it continues to explore techno-paranoias and both human and digital consciousness, the seasons' past timelines should offer clues as to when to expect the next batch of Brooker-Jones gems: The third season launched its first batch of episodes in October of 2016, while the fourth season launched just ahead of the New Year in December of 2017.

Ahead of season four's launch, Jones was optimistic about the series' future looking bright when speaking to THR: "We love making the show. It’s an utter privilege to be able to curate six films. It’s the stuff of dreams."

Amid what is being called a "small-screen sci-fi renaissance," the renewal follows recent pickups by the streaming giant for fantasy drama Altered Carbon and watercooler favorite Stranger Things, among others as Netflix continues to spend upward of $8 billion on scripted originals.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
oh baby!!
tenor.gif

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I just started watching this recently. Dope viewing. I have like three episodes to go.

The first episode was :damn:. No fukkING WAY would I do that shyt for someone that's not even my kid. fukk the princess and what everyone else thinks. :rudy:

Nosedive is the funniest episode out of all of them. That airport scene had me :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::deadmanny::deadmanny::deadmanny:

If I had to choose a favourite episode it would probably be Hated In The Nation. That was just fiyah and a dope concept. That 50 Cent type troll rapper. :russ:

Shut up and Dance was dope. I kind of had a feeling that's how it would end.

Playtest was dope.

San Junepiro was well done. It wasn't as bleak as other episodes but they really recreated the 80s better than most modern shows/movies I've seen. It really felt like the 80s and not a movie pretending to be the 80s.

As for Season 4, Hang the DJ and Black Museum was good. The others ehhh.....

Daps
So I watched the first episode (where the terrorist wanted the prime minister to fukk a pig on live TV in exchange for the princess) and while it was entertaining and thought provoking, I had some major issues with the writing so I want to get a flavor for if those issues persist or if it gets better.

First issue is that the national security team didn't seem believable with the actions they were taken. The ploy to use an actor to fake it had minimal upside and tremendous downside. The only upside was the PM wouldn't actually have to fukk a pig. The public would still have to think he fukked a pig, however. Maybe you could let his wife in on it too, but only a very small number of people could know you keep the secret safe. The downside was huge: the loss of life to the princess simply because of your treachery. Many in the public may have been ok with not complying with terrorist leading to her death, but for her to die because you failed to trick a technically savvy terrorist wouldn't go over as well. My next issue with that security team was them not surrounding the building where they thought the terrorist was and allowing a reporter to just sneak in. That was way too sloppy for such a high profile operation. Her running was dumb too, and her surviving the shots when she did run was lame. Finally, my biggest issue is with the lack of contingency planning. As soon as they got the video they should've been devising a plan for if they were to comply and one for if they chose not to comply. So when 4pm came, if they weren't complying, they'd get on air with a speech explaining that they will not negotiate with terrorist because today they may demand a lewd act tomorrow they may demand something worse, and this is something the U.K. cannot tolerate, yadda yadda yadda. Now it's possible that this plan was done offscreen and never mentioned cuz they didn't use it, but I doubt it cuz they didn't have a narrative ready for the comply option. All they did was read a short message saying keeping the video was illegal. Gotta believe a real strategy team would've read a carefully manicured statement before the act in order to sway the public. Such a statement might convey that the PM is complying in hopes that this embarrassment for himself and the government may save the beloved princess's life. And while he is choosing to comply, there is no requirement that UK citizens actually watch the broadcast. So he'd play to their civic pride and the fact that most people despise terrorism and ask them to turn off their televisions, not to tweet about it and not give this terrorist any of the attention it deserves. Obviously, everyone wouldn't oblige, but many would and it would've created a realistic and interesting dialogue amongst those public gatherings at the hospital and the bar.

My final issue is with the release of her 30 minutes prior and no one noticing with all the cameras in that city. Sure, they general public may have been glued to their television sets (tho I don't know if that was necessarily be the case a full 30 minutes prior), but with such a big active kidnapping, you'd think they'd have "all hands on deck" monitoring those cameras. Wherever she first comes up on camera (if she was released after the act as they thought she'd be) is where they send the police to start looking for the perp. Her being out in the open for a full 30 minutes seems unreal.

Sorry for the long winded post, but before I start to go through 4 seasons of this, I wanna determine if the writing tightens up or not.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
My final issue is with the release of her 30 minutes prior and no one noticing with all the cameras in that city. Sure, they general public may have been glued to their television sets (tho I don't know if that was necessarily be the case a full 30 minutes prior), but with such a big active kidnapping, you'd think they'd have "all hands on deck" monitoring those cameras. Wherever she first comes up on camera (if she was released after the act as they thought she'd be) is where they send the police to start looking for the perp. Her being out in the open for a full 30 minutes seems unreal.

I think that that was the point.

Anyway, I always tell people to watch the first season in reverse order. The first episode turned me off so much that I didn't watch another episode for almost a year. Then I binged watched all of the remaining episodes that were out that the time.

S.W.A.G.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I went to a Q and A in the summer in London with Charlie Brooker and his other producer for Esquire. Few things he mentioned. The timeline/the 'Black Mirror' universe was only put in this season. He said any previous references were coincidence and mostly to save budget. They reused sets and scenes (tickers etc) to save money, and the internet latched onto it and assumed it was part of a shared universe. In response to this, he decided to say fukk it and pretend this was always intentional, hence Black Museum. He also said he would consider an episode set in the past (like medieval), a sequel to White Bear, and interestingly a question came from the audience about an episode being set away from western culture. He was really intrigued by the idea, so who know we'll get a foreign language episode :yeshrug:

Daps
I think that that was the point.

Yea, that was the explanation they gave, but I'm saying that makes no sense. Streets may've been empty cuz people were glued to their televisions, but the folks whose job it was to monitor the cameras around the city would've been extra vigilant that entire day. Within minutes of the beloved princess popping up on camera, they would've spotted her. Hard to believe they'd miss her for a whole half hour before he went through with the act.

TinFoilSnapBack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My top five, after making it through all the episodes, is:

1. Black Museum
2. White Bear
3. Man Against Fire
4. Playtest
5. San Junipero

:whew:

Maybe I'm just saying this because I'm not a TV watcher like that, but Black Mirror might be the GOAT.

Also, I'm finna look up all the fan theories and shyt, since I don't have to worry about spoilers anymore.