Black/Minority Women Goin' Against White Feminists On Twitter :lupe:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
That's not a point I was arguing against, though... Black men obviously didn't magically create gender equality on their own. But that doesn't absolve anyone, either. As men, we actively participate in that inequality and help maintain it, even if we didn't create it, and even if we aren't the only ones helping maintain it. And my stats did add something, because several people in this thread still don't seem to believe that Black men get paid better than Black women, and are using that to deny the existence of any inequality between the two whatsoever.
:what: How do black men actively maintain gender inequality?

Black men may get paid more on average than black women, but black women are a lot more likely to be hired on average. You have to get the job before you can even get paid.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
That's not a point I was arguing against, though... Black men obviously didn't magically create gender equality on their own. But that doesn't absolve anyone, either. As men, we actively participate in that inequality and help maintain it, even if we didn't create it, and even if we aren't the only ones helping maintain it. And my stats did add something, because several people in this thread still don't seem to believe that Black men get paid better than Black women, and are using that to deny the existence of any inequality between the two whatsoever.

Please explain to me. How do black men as a whole "help maintain" the inequality.

We didn't create the situation, we are rarely in a position of power to make the change. We use the power we do have to overwhelmingly vote for people who do support women's rights.

So how are black men "maintaining" income inequality?

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Please explain to me. How do black men as a whole "help maintain" the inequality.

We didn't create the situation, we are rarely in a position of power to make the change. We use the power we do have to overwhelmingly vote for people who do support women's rights.

So how are black men "maintaining" income inequality?

Income inequality relates to employment, so that's different from other forms of inequality- most Black men don't own the businesses, though certainly that inequality is present even when they do. If you mean inequality more generally, though, I don't know what you mean by "as a whole," but in Black communities, there aren't white men going around specifically reinforcing it... In the Civil Rights movement, in the Black Panther Party, etc, it wasn't white men keeping Black women from positions of power, or silencing their contributions (that history is well-documented)... it was Black men.

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
I don't see anyone adamantly denying that black men get paid better (maybe a fee misinformed) and I think every black man in here would love if black women made the same amount as us.

I also don't see how we are helping "maintain" anything. Black men are not enforcing salaries so I don't get what you mean by "maintaining".

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Income inequality relates to employment, so that's different from other forms of inequality. If you mean inequality more generally, though, I don't know what you mean by "as a whole," but in Black communities, there aren't white men going around specifically reinforcing it... In the Civil Rights movement, in the Black Panther Party, etc, it wasn't white men keeping Black women from positions of power, or silencing their contributions (that history is well-documented)... it was Black men.
No don't move the goalposts, you are doing exactly what the feminists were doing when presented with a direct question.

You said "black men are maintaining the income inequality" and I asked you how so?

And since you mentioned it now. What general inequalities are black men enforcing in black communities.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
No don't move the goalposts, you are doing exactly what the feminists were doing when presented with a direct question.

You said "black men are maintaining the income inequality" and I asked you how so?

And since you mentioned it now. What general inequalities are black men enforcing in black communities.

No, I didn't. I said that Black men are helping to maintain inequality, not specifically income inequality. You tried to make it more specific, but that ignores the larger picture. There are no goalposts to move, because the inequality exists in Black owned businesses (most of which are not owned by Black women) just like in white ones. As for general inequalities, you don't have to look further than the home, but there's also the Church, specific elements of the culture (messaging in music, for example,) etc. And extend my Civil Rights example into the present, too. Most pro-Black organizations are male-dominated, and not simply for natural or accidental reasons.

If you're arguing that white people have more power in determining income inequality than Black men, that's one thing, but trying to erase any culpability in the Black community for gender inequality is absurd.

Last edited:

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
No, I didn't. I said that Black men are helping to maintain inequality, not specifically income inequality. You tried to make it more specific, but that ignores the larger picture. There are no goalposts to move, because the inequality exists in Black owned businesses (most of which are not owned by Black women) just like in white ones. As for general inequalities, you don't have to look further than the home, but there's also the Church, specific elements of the culture (messaging in music, for example,) etc.
Sooooo.... It's black men's fault that black women don't start their own businesses? Even though their loan approval rating is right up there with white men? (Which is a funny point because there are small business grants specifically for black women which were enacted under the presidency of a black man)

:Eddie Murphy gif:

But black women are the main supporters of churches, not black men. So.....

:Eddie Murphy gif:

Ill even bet you that more black women vote/have the ability to vote when compared to black men.

This is what I was stating earlier. Black women have a good amount of power but use none of it for their own good.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Income inequality relates to employment, so that's different from other forms of inequality- most Black men don't own the businesses, though certainly that inequality is present even when they do. If you mean inequality more generally, though, I don't know what you mean by "as a whole," but in Black communities, there aren't white men going around specifically reinforcing it... In the Civil Rights movement, in the Black Panther Party, etc, it wasn't white men keeping Black women from positions of power, or silencing their contributions (that history is well-documented)... it was Black men.

This was one of the reasons I felt that list in the other thread was kind of crappy. Legitimate examples of black male privilege like the bolded get lost when lumped with some of weaker points on the same list

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Sooooo.... It's black men's fault that black women don't start their own businesses? Even though their loan approval rating is right up there with white men?

The issue goes far beyond loan approval ratings, since there's obviously much more to opening a business than that. Please don't drop such simplistic points. For example, most single-parent families in the Black community, which make up the majority of Black families, sadly, are headed by women, not men (if you're planning on just blaming women for the most single-parent households, let's just stop the argument here,) and it's not particularly easy to start a business at the same time as raising a child.

But black women are the main supporters of churches, not black men. So.....

Can you prove this? Not that I think that's entirely incorrect. Regardless, my point pertains to who runs the Churches and their messaging.

Ill even bet you that more black women vote/have the ability to vote when compared to black men.

Prove it.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I think Tariq Nasheed posts here. He put out a 45 minute podcast on this topic, and I've literally seen it discussed no where else.

I doubt he posts here. A lot of dude who listen to his podcasts post here though.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
So you're during Civil Rights, BW wanted to be at the forefront of the movement but BM prevented them.
What are some reasons you think that might be?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No, I didn't. I said that Black men are helping to maintain inequality, not specifically income inequality. You tried to make it more specific, but that ignores the larger picture. There are no goalposts to move, because the inequality exists in Black owned businesses (most of which are not owned by Black women) just like in white ones. As for general inequalities, you don't have to look further than the home, but there's also the Church, specific elements of the culture (messaging in music, for example,) etc.
:what:nikka you posted a bunch of stats about income. Which is what I responded to. You tried to make it less specific when I asked you about your statements.

Give some specific examples of "black men" making a concerted effort to oppress women.