“Black men, please be a mentor. These boys out here are hurting. They need you.”

Daps
It's worth it to mentor purely out of the goodness of your heart, but not everyone is ready for mentorship/coaching. One of my co-workers, an older black woman told me the truth, most of the population we work with just don't get it and best thing I could do was focus my strongest efforts on the ones that do.

If you do end up mentoring, find the ones that are serious about participating, listening and actually putting in their own effort to progress. I have 3 or 4 young people(male and female) I'm definitely going to continue working with whenever I leave this job because they reciprocate the energy I give to help them in lots of facets.

A couple things.

1. We should not be more passionate about their own lives than they are.

2. Age is not a good enough excuse

3. It's not a personal failing if someone you work with keeps on fukking up.
This is the best response.

There is a lot of talk about who or what needs to change in the community, but not a lot of discussion about taking initiative. There is so much complaining about the government not helping black people. But when someone points out certain government programs, other posters will get mad, because they aren’t exclusively for black people. Yet, plenty of black people have benefitted from those programs. Let’s say there was a jobs program in some of these inner cities. Folks have to take the initiative to sign up.

Someone else complained there was no black chamber of commerce. I posted a link to the website showing every black chamber of commerce in every state. Those black owned businesses exist because those black entrepreneurs took initiative to open a business. Nobody should care about your future more than you do. Nobody is knocking on your door, handing you a job application, or telling you about grants.

And unfortunately, a lot of brehs in a position to be mentors will be called corny, because we’re square. There is a certain segment of the black community who thinks proper grammar makes you less black.

All Knowledge

Speak up...
Daps
Reppin
Belo Horizante
I was dating/fukking this chick back in the day and one of her good friends roped me into becoming a mentor for a program at the non profit she was running. Got matched up with a young buck with a disability (wont say what it was just incase he's on here) and attitude/emotional problems. Overall he was a decent cool kid, but I couldn't shake being made uncomfortable by his disability and I ghosted on him after the second meeting.

Ghat damn I was a peice of shyt p*ssy hound, lord knows I shouldn't be mentoring kids. Only did it to keep fukking shorty. :pachaha:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
You know what it means. A lot of “us” would eradicate the types of Black people they don’t want to exist if they could. Look at the tone of this thread.

More posts about the random woman who made it than the kids she’s referring to. “Bum men” “worthless women” “burden children”
It’s people on this forum who believe in eugenics

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:lolbron: interesting that you went straight to finances when the original post I responded to didn't make any mention of it. plenty of good people were raised without money.

:sas1:yall keep picking based on everything but character and morals tho. it's working out so well for yall.
Income is correlated to marriage rates. Higher earners get married more often, so it’s not a leap to assume more mentorship is needed in lower income areas. That’s not to say it’s the only area it’s needed

Grand Cru Boo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk New Yawk
Be good, do right, forage your own path and the reward for this….

More! Help out more! Give more! Do more!!

Nah… Have their FATHER mentor them. Tell those dusty nikkaz to step up and take care of their responsibilities.

I use to work with young people and it’s a very rewarding experience HOWEVER… I can’t replace what is missing in some of these young men life. Words are not enough.

Rant over

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Yes. My cousin was a big time mentor and he is teaching me about it something I want to pursue as I am going to semi retire but with that being said I can understand why some dudes are apprehensive because it something that is not to be rewarding outside of having a passion for it.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
The quiet part out loud response

I swear on the dead marsupials if there was a Pokebreed of:

• Thug killing gangsta opp
  • Smart educated Morris Chestnut Idris looking
  • Skinny jean with more zippers than a Members Only jacket
  • bank account larger than the tallest of trees
  • Loving like K-Ci, strong like Ike, but romantic like Desi Arnaz
  • No children but can fertilize the chosen womb
  • Has a submissive side and allow the bird to flock with the feathers
Somehow.....someway....it wouldn't matter because at the end of the day "he ain't shyt".

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
These are the fathers, and their mentorship

Every woman can’t have a man like that. Let’s be reality, the number show how many of us live in poverty, if you in the hood, you gonna procreate with others from the hood and where that hood mentality is pervasive. Should these boys not have contact with more upwardly mobile black men who can expose them to the other options they have in life? Mentors are needed regardless because we have too much generational baggage weighing us down

99% of ppl are going to die in the class they were born in... some uppity boule type is only offering mentorship to satisfy his ego.

Last edited: