“Black men, please be a mentor. These boys out here are hurting. They need you.”

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I personally think mentorship is overhyped in general now and just another buzzword.

do I think some people can have truly great mentors and have successful positive relationships? certainly, but it’s not exactly something you should push someone with no interest into. I don’t believe “forced” mentorship works. I think the best ones occur naturally, not through some program.

even in the workplace, where you think people have much more common goals and it’s definitely not the same thing as “being a stepdaddy,” I’ve found that a lot of it isn’t that useful. sure if it’s a naturally formed relationship where someone, who actually has power to help you develop and advance, recognizes your potential and takes you under their wing a lot of value can be found from it.

but if it’s more forced and through the company mentoring program for example, I’ve found it’s just glorified career advice shyt that comes from someone that might not even have the same path/goals as you.

I have to imagine it’s similar in non career fields too. if a person doesn’t know you like that outside of some advice that can be found in multiple places, not just there.. I’m not sure what they can really do for you. they can’t force you to take it and it might not even be the right advice for you.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Haven't read all the responses but everything that's been said has been interesting. I wouldn't mind mentoring some day, but I definitely have my own parameters. Preferably someone who eagerly wants to pursue a career or hobby that they simply wouldn't have access to

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
A major problem is when Black men attempt to mentor boys we are often being asked to follow blueprints and philosophy that are at odds with manhood.

Like these women will ask you to train these boys into the type of men they want and not there type that society needs.

Real mentorship in 2024 is often viewed as toxic masculinity, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, verbal abuse, etc..

I mentored and coached black boys religiously in my 20's and 30's. And the biggest obstacle was always the government or their mamas.

If you are asking for Black male help and leadership. Allow these brothers to cook. But a lot of these women don't really want these kids mentored. They want babysitters and therapists for free.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Haven't read all the responses but everything that's been said has been interesting. I wouldn't mind mentoring some day, but I definitely have my own parameters. Preferably someone who eagerly wants to pursue a career or hobby that they simply wouldn't have access to
Apprenticeships were usually the thing. Mentor gets used as a catch all for what we would traditionally use for apprenticeship and this step daddy bullshyt.

Folks saying boys need a positive male figure but we ignore the issue of why do no men exist in his family? Your father and uncles tend to be the core example of men, and then if you get into athletics the net grows.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Apprenticeships were usually the thing. Mentor gets used as a catch all for what we would traditionally use for apprenticeship and this step daddy bullshyt.

Folks saying boys need a positive male figure but we ignore the issue of why do no men exist in his family? Your father and uncles tend to be the core example of men, and then if you get into athletics the net grows.
Ahh yes, apprenticeships. That's the one I really like the idea of. Makes me think to all the cool shows and history of like squires or famous painters who were apprentices of other famous painters. That'd be dope, though I know in the software space, I use AI to do some of the coding I need. But I guess just being around someone who's talking about programing and design would still be useful.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A major problem is when Black men attempt to mentor boys we are often being asked to follow blueprints and philosophy that are at odds with manhood.

Like these women will ask you to train these boys into the type of men they want and not there type that society needs.

Real mentorship in 2024 is often viewed as toxic masculinity, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, verbal abuse, etc..

I mentored and coached black boys religiously in my 20's and 30's. And the biggest obstacle was always the government or their mamas.

If you are asking for Black male help and leadership. Allow these brothers to cook. But a lot of these women don't really want these kids mentored. They want babysitters and therapists for free.
/Thread:mjlol: