“Black men, please be a mentor. These boys out here are hurting. They need you.”

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
The quiet part out loud response

This is an interesting perspective. Never thought about it like this. From a “save me from my mistake” perspective.

Everyone should have a mentor / coach from a professional standpoint tho.

Hey Guys it might help to be a mentor

Coli Brehs:

"Shoulda chose better, bish."
"They don't listen."
"Where's his dad?"
"I ain't got time."
"Issa bandaid."
"Get someone else to do it."

Trust me, a man is going to mentor that boy. It could be someone that's barely a man themselves in word and deed, and will imbue him with poor moral fiber and a skewed outlook on life, may even have him fuking his life up before he's even done being a teenager.

Or it could be you.

But don't complain about this world and our community's status when your only contribution to it is talking on forums and having a job. It's feminine, whiny, and weak.

This.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Yeah typically the boys father should be who takes him from boy to man, once the boy sees where his gifts are then the men in said field of expertise step in. But this “ima do what i want nikka but you finna take care of my child” is some other shyt.

Every hoe out here aint no damn widow and all these babies are not products of rape

I agree. From the home to an expert in their “profession”

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Honestly there's a difference between mentoring a child and a young adult.

Framing this as mentoring a child does give off big ain't shyt female energy. The responsibility of mentoring a child or finding mentors for a child is the family's responsibility in any respectable community and you should rightfully be shamed for proposing this idea in a public forum. You and your family's history should be rightfully dug up and poked at. It's pathetic and weak, you can't mentor your kids? Y'all don't have a social circle of responsible adults for the kid to be around and absorb that energy? Those are you issues.

As far as mentoring young 20 year old men, I definitely think that's something we can work on collectively and a much better framing of this idea. But even then proposing that idea is crazy because being a upwardly mobile black professional is draining to the point where you might be doing more harm than help by trying to be a mentor. Folks would be mentors if they could, but they clearly can't be that so they don't.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
And while you're spending time mentoring the youth your competitors are hiring based on skill and need.

Like I said it's a great way to go out of business.

Absolute garbage

I have cac associates get hired for roles as younglins just because an older cac was looking to take them under their wing.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Being a mentor is not easy, it requires a lot of effort. I know folks want to make it seem like it's only time but it's much more than that and even if it wasn't time isn't an infinite resource, we all only have so much. I did it before and eventually realized that I could not dedicate the proper amount of time and effort needed to make the difference I wanted to. I will try again once I've retired but I hate how so many people try to shame others for not wanting or being able to do it. Yes there is a desperate need for mentors in our community but there is also a desperate need to change the behavior that is leading to some many lost youths in out community.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
99% of ppl are going to die in the class they were born in... some uppity boule type is only offering mentorship to satisfy his ego.
You can die in the class you are born in at 20 or 67…being mentored to make better choices can be the difference between dying before you can legally drink and dying of general old age shyt.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I had to figure out everything for myself.

I was in the music industry for the longest but if I didn't create my own lane in sports gambling before legalization, I would have starved.

I've had college kids reach out to me telling me they admire my sports media work and I've taken the time to talk with with them, give them game, provide advice and if they need recommendations, opportunities for jobs and to make money and I've passed off those opportunities but I'm not outright mentoring anyone. I've gotten at least a half dozen people jobs in sports betting media.

If you're hungry I'll put you in position and provide opportunities to make money if I can but ultimately you're on your own. I'm not holding anyone's hand through anything. It's up to you to have the vision for what you want to do and figure out how to make it happen. If you need me to introduce you to people or opportunities I'll do that.

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
Quite the contrary too. My Brothers Keeper going down wasn’t because of black men hating black women. Word to Kimberle Crenshaw :sas2:

Maybe things would be different.

If we hated them all these “activists” and “film makers” wouldn’t be allowed to start careers off of our corpses
Black Men need to start tellin’ folks to shut the fukk up when they’re babbling rather than listening to these disingenuous, non nuanced, generic ass retorts.

In this thread and on Twitter, BM have articulated why “mentoring” often fails due to a lack of a home foundation and mentoring being a two way street (the mentee has to also put in effort) but folks are purposely avoiding these points and going after these weirdos who completely don’t fw young black men or use p*ssy as a bargaining chip.

theGoldmangod

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had to figure out everything for myself.

I was in the music industry for the longest but if I didn't create my own lane in sports gambling before legalization, I would have starved.

I've had college kids reach out to me telling me they admire my sports media work and I've taken the time to talk with with them, give them game, provide advice and if they need recommendations, opportunities for jobs and to make money, I've pass off but I'm not outright mentoring anyone.

If you're hungry I'll put you in position and provide opportunities to make money if I can but ultimately you're on your own. I'm not holding anyone's hand through anything. It's up to you to have the vision for what you want to do and figure out how to make it happen.
Word, I did it myself too. But mentoring does not have to be this blood oath or extremely taxing activity like brehs are making it. I been helping young black men learn about and get into finance and investment banking for 2 decades at this point. And brehs who were already in the field to navigate their career. Most of these kids do have fathers, but still need guidance. You can help by just basically spending extra time doing shyt you'd already be doing.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The quiet part out loud response

I gotta call cap.

For starters thats a little too on the nose. Thats either a woman joking or a man/agent trying to stir the pot.

Secondly its not true. Chicks be wanting their kid to be like his dad...or what they think he is. When the nikka turns out to be a deadbeat this changes. Or she was enjoying the dikk and never thought about him being her chillds father.