“Black men, please be a mentor. These boys out here are hurting. They need you.”

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Y'all are looking at it the wrong way.

You're looking at it as "mentoring" when you should be looking at it as young brehs WORKING for YOU and building a bigger/future NETWORK.

How do y'all want to be BOSSES but have NO WORKERS? :what:
You'll be out of business in 12 months if you do that. You hire people based on their skills and ability to compete in the free market, not because you want to mentor them.

If you want to mentor, do that in your free time after work when it doesn't affect your bottom line.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
It’s not bothering me at all. I stopped responding to you and you continued to quote me. I think that comment was a fair assessment of what I see in this thread. We can agree to disagree.
So unbothered that you misconstrued my original post? Sure. In any case, I asked for some clarification. I'm not allowed to do that now? Dear me goodness. Agree to disagree indeed. :heh:

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
My only problem with mentoring is that if when the kid goes home some knucklehead ass parent could literally undo all the shyt you were trying to teach them, which i think ties back to mainly what them guys in tweet were trying to say about not even wanting to mentor kids because it can easily be undone.

All in all I won't every shy away from trying to help a young breh out that's looking for guidance
This is the thing that wore on me and would make me rethink or shy away from it. I'd have to delve deep into their home life at time to try and make sure they weren't undoing shyt I taught the kids.

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
So unbothered that you misconstrued my original post? Sure. In any case, I asked for some clarification. I'm not allowed to do that now? Dear me goodness. Agree to disagree indeed. :heh:
That poster never quoted you. You’re taking the posters comment personally towards you and ignoring the comments that they are referring to. I explained to you the theme of the comments that poster was referring to. I never said that you said those comments.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
That poster never quoted you. You’re taking the posters comment personally towards you and ignoring the comments that they are referring to. I explained to you the theme of the comments that poster was referring to. I never said that you said those comments.
No I didn't. Show me where I assumed he was talking about me?

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
No I didn't. Show me where I assumed he was talking about me?
Sir. We are going in circles so I will leave this here. The poster quoted no one. I quoted you referring to the general tone of this thread. I was speaking generally, so I apologize if it appeared that I was speaking to you personally or accusing you of anything.

I do, however, feel that overall tone of this thread is unnecessarily negative. Mentoring and giving back in the Black American community have always been important in lifting each other up. It’s a shame that gender divides seem to have gotten in the way of that. I am open to continuing a conversation about mentoring but this particular back and forth about who said what about who is going in circles.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
Sir. We are going in circles so I will leave this here. The poster quoted no one. I quoted you referring to the general tone of this thread. I was speaking generally, so I apologize if it appeared that I was speaking to you personally or accusing you of anything.

I do, however, feel that overall tone of this thread is unnecessarily negative. Mentoring and giving back in the Black American community have always been important in lifting each other up. It’s a shame that gender divides seem to have gotten in the way of that. I am open to continuing a conversation about mentoring but this particular back and forth about who said what about who is going in circles.
I do agree with that. I do so understand some of the complaints some guys have about lack of time or seeing their work undone and the overall environment they fee that they are encountering in these situations and do think there should be more discussion geared towards that. Less trying to shame dudes into doing mentoring and instead, trying to show dudes the benefits of it. I'll give some dudes credit for doing that much. There should be more discussion on good mentoring tips. Not all mentoring is the same. For example, I like to show and explain to kids the road they will face and the rewards of going down that road while some focus on small tips here and there. Both are important but both play to different crowds. I would feel like I was doing kids a disservice since much of what I would talk about is career and school instead of things like fixing cars or even entrepreneurship and such since I do think the latter points are very important. Then again, the age of these kids plays a part as well, as some have said.

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
I do agree with that. I do so understand some of the complaints some guys have about lack of time or seeing their work undone and the overall environment they fee that they are encountering in these situations and do think there should be more discussion geared towards that. Less trying to shame dudes into doing mentoring and instead, trying to show dudes the benefits of it. I'll give some dudes credit for doing that much. There should be more discussion on good mentoring tips. Not all mentoring is the same. For example, I like to show and explain to kids the road they will face and the rewards of going down that road while some focus on small tips here and there. Both are important but both play to different crowds. I would feel like I was doing kids a disservice since much of what I would talk about is career and school instead of things like fixing cars or even entrepreneurship and such since I do think the latter points are very important. Then again, the age of these kids plays a part as well, as some have said.
Right. It can be anything. I mentor kids about college through a program with my job. I also help my neighbors kids a lot with rides and talk to them about college and staying out of debt, because their mama works a lot. It may not be life saving, but a little can go a long way for the kids who want it. And there are some things that parents aren’t well versed in whether they are involved with their kids or not. I saw a study that kids who are around more affluent people often do better because they pick up small habits and lessons.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
You'll be out of business in 12 months if you do that. You hire people based on their skills and ability to compete in the free market, not because you want to mentor them.

If you want to mentor, do that in your free time after work when it doesn't affect your bottom line.

You are giving them the skills or enhancing them along with guidance/knowledge.

Companies do this all the time.

It's called ENTRY LEVEL. :mjtf:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
You are giving them the skills or enhancing them along with guidance/knowledge.

Companies do this all the time.

It's called ENTRY LEVEL. :mjtf:
And while you're spending time mentoring the youth your competitors are hiring based on skill and need.

Like I said it's a great way to go out of business.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
These young dudes are definitely out here hurting. Thats all the drug use, violence, and excessive/unsafe sex is. You dont have to go anywhere and sign up to work with strangers. You can be a positive influence for your lil cousin or your nephew and their friends. Its not your responsibility and these cats are hard headed (we were too) but it is most definitely all of our problem. Our community has no future without the youth being on point.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
The quiet part out loud response

oprah-icegif-9.gif

...and there it is folks.

:mjlol: