black feminism/womanism thread

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
tumblr_nnya50sMbC1szl2uro1_1280.jpg

That's completely fukking stupid :mindblown:.

Last edited:

Onlooker

Rookie
Daps
Maybe I should've elaborated more.

There is something wrong with being emotional when making critical decisions. The other stuff have nothing to do with leadership and advancement of community.

No one said expressing emotion was bad. There is a time and place for everything. When in crisis emotions are the last thing you should choose as your guide.

Don't want to turn this into an emotion debate. This thread is pretty good as is.

I understand the detriment of letting one's emotions control them but the remedy isn't shutting them away. Why assume women are all emotionally unstable (to the extent that they can't make sound judgments) and are the cause of a man's emotional instability? That whole implication is a sexist fallacy but w/e.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
You want black men to lead but don't want black men to be held responsible/blamed for shortcomings in the black community?
Isn't that what happens when you are a leader? All kings, politicians and people in power do is listen to complaints and be blamed.

They're will always be criticisms.

:banderas: Underrated post. Everybody wants to be the leader, but nobody wants to be the leader. :mjpls:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I understand the detriment of letting one's emotions control them but the remedy isn't shutting them away. Why assume women are all emotionally unstable (to the extent that they can't make sound judgments) and are the cause of a man's emotional instability? That whole implication is a sexist fallacy but w/e.

Seems like you want to win. Keep ignoring half of my post (the ones you respond to) to continue the debate. If you actually read the entire thing you would find that your questions have already been answered.

You win.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
So, you're telling me that BM deal with the issues of being black and female?
No, I'm saying that the oppression that black women are subjected to is racism/white supremacy. You're not oppressed because you're female you're oppressed because you're black. Why have black feminists convinced themselves that black women have it harder than black men? You don't think creating a movement based on that myth is divisive?

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
No it doesn't. The graph shows that the difference in earnings between black American men and women is the lowest of all gender gaps. This, strictly speaking, means that black Americans have the most equitable gender gap in the country across racial groups and, ironically, might indicate a lesser need for "feminism" than other types of women.
/QUOTE]
:banderas:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
No, I'm saying that the oppression that black women are subjected to is racism/white supremacy. You're not oppressed because you're female you're oppressed because you're black. Why have black feminists convinced themselves that black women have it harder than black men? You don't how creating a movement based on that myth is divisive?

They have their own set of struggles but want to act like ours are easier to deal with. Everyone's struggle is more important than the next man/woman. I get that. What they don't get is knocking us to get ahead won't help us fight for them.

Onlooker

Rookie
Daps
Seems like you want to win. Keep ignoring half of my post (the ones you respond to) to continue the debate. If you actually read the entire thing you would find that your questions have already been answered.

You win.

I'm not trying to win anything. I just don't agree with your post I first responded to but again, w/e. If you don't want to engage in dialogue then I'm not going to push it.

Onlooker

Rookie
Daps
No, I'm saying that the oppression that black women are subjected to is racism/white supremacy. You're not oppressed because you're female you're oppressed because you're black. Why have black feminists convinced themselves that black women have it harder than black men? You don't think creating a movement based on that myth is divisive?

BW are oppressed for being black and female. How one can conclude that living in a misogynistic androcentric patriarchy is not oppressive towards females is astounding. The concept of gender is divisive not feminism. Feminism is a movement that exists because of the divisive nature of the system that created it.

Whether BW have it harder than BM or vice versa is not important. The issue is that BW do face unfair treatment on an account of both their sex and race so, therefore, try to empower themselves.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
They have their own set of struggles but want to act like ours are easier to deal with. Everyone's struggle is more important than the next man/woman. I get that. What they don't get is knocking us to get ahead won't help us fight for them.
They don't even have their own set of struggles tho. The struggles that black men and black women face are rooted in systematic white supremacy. Some black women have think that it's easier for them to deal with their struggles by aligning themselves with an ideology that disregards and often demonizes black men. Black feminists cut off their nose to spite their face.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
Whether BW have it harder than BM or vice versa is not important. The issue is that BW do face unfair treatment on an account of both their sex and race so, therefore, try to empower themselves.
I'm not even going to touch that "the concept of gender is oppressive" nonsense.

The belief in the idea that black women have it harder than black men is important to this discussion because that's what black feminism movement is based on. Black feminism started in the 70's when some black women jumped ship from the civil rights/black power movements complaining about black men. White women got in some black women's ear which was all orchestrated by the government as a way to disrupt black unity/power. Again, black women face unfair treatment but not because they're women it's because they're black. Black women can't empower themselves without working to empower black people as a whole. Black men and women are connected at the hip, you can't have one without the other.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
One incompatible proponent of black feminism is when black feminists try to erode black masculinity and patriarchy as a means to further black female freedom. Because as black patriarchy shrinks, white, Asian, Arab, etc patriarchy and power grows. Black feminists even go so far as to aid and abet white supremacists, whether they realize it or not. This rails against black success as a community.

I hear a lot of parroted rhetoric but no substantial evidence that a movement that seeks to empower both men AND women in our race is somehow eroding black masculinity. Moreover if the latter is tied to black women being in lesser role it's already flawed and vulnerable to corruption. You cannot dismiss one half of ur race as less than and win when with our demographics. Instead we should be uplifting EVERY person in our race regardless of gender and valorizing their own unique talents as different but no less equal in value as an apple is to an orange.
In traditional African cultures, black men have undisputed rule. Tribal leaders and chieftans--most always men--make decisions. There is no necessary egalitarianism in African culture. Black men do naturally give women rights, but this is not to say that society itself is egalitarian. There are egalitarian parts, but the whole is still ruled by black men.

You are mischaracterising African culture. Women do not traditionally have power outside the house in black countries.
Historically they did. West African women ran entire business and trade guilds, land ownership could be held separately even by married women and no one blinked an eye if a ruler was happened to be a woman b/c leadership capabilities in women weren't counted as a threat to black masculinity. It is only in the myriad of African historical cultures that you find entire lineages of female rulers (ie candakes), female elder leaders (leadership according to seniority) females trained and educated (Egypt had entire schools of medicine where women attended)...ect.

There is a fascinating study about how Western concepts of gender roles through the Judeo-Christain tradition completely disrupted the family structure and gender interactions of many traditional African countries resulting in a complete paradigm shift in the way women were regarded and catastrophic results to these communities.

Traditional African patriarchy was very very different from the Western patriarchy many black men have adopted in order to grasp some illusion of power within a white world. And with the ignorance of Western patriarchy which is based on the devaluing of white women to men, comes the backlash which is feminism.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
:blessed:

We would do well to uplift ourselves by doing what we do best and that's innovating :wow:
That's all I ask for. Sometimes in envisioning a future, we're lazy thinkers. We either want to return fully to the past or forget it altogether. We cannot fully return to the past because obviously something went wrong to get us in this current predicament in the first place. However we don't have to start completely anew either as we need to evaluate what worked and didn't work and grow from there.

To be honest, feminism is a natural reaction to a flawed patriarchal system in the West. As soon as our culture decided to define our governing principals within that framework, we became susceptible to it's corruption but at faster rates of erosion because we're smaller in population thus we feel the effects compounded.

I'd invite black men and women to abandon Western patriarchy and feminism and use traditional African models as inspiration (NOT full sale replacements, b/c these models had flaws too!) for a new understanding of gender, power and success in our community.
But doing that takes innovators who are not afraid to leave egos at the door and put on thinking caps.

These are the questions we should be asking:
How can we empower both our men and women w/o compromising their sense of biological masculinity and femininity?

How can we protect blk male leadership without eroding or discouraging leadership capabilities oftentimes found in our women as well?

What ideas need to be eliminated from our conception of black empowerment so that both genders feel equally valued?

What advantages and disadvantages does equality present to our collective consciousness in how black men and black women relate to each other?