Bitter Black Men: redefining manhood (long read)

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Broken homes are the root of most of these kids behavioral problems.

Most of these dysfunctional folks do not come from a stable family background.
I came from an extremely dysfunctional upbringing which is why I think with support we need those who come from a place of understanding.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
This thread isn't just about group hugs and crying.

A simple check-in, asking "how are you doing?". Not saying it because of it being programmed into us, but actually being concerned.

When someone asks you "How are you?" Do you take time to acknowledge how you feel, or do you automatically spit out "fine", "ok" or "good"?

People don't connect anymore, how are we to develop a sense of community and build?

Yes I understand, some people don't want help Or don't appreciate it. That's their prerogative. The only person you can control is yourself. You are not required to care. But.. if you reach out you never know who you will help or who might end up helping you.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Naw on the real, the standards we're held to as black men are fukked up. No matter what we're going through, we have gotta be a rock and you touched on it but a lot of times we feel like we can't even speak from a vulnerable place with our sisters out of fear of them losing respect for us and not viewing us a true men. With that said... What we gonna do, cry about it? fukk outta here.:pachaha:

:pachaha:

:mjcry:

Soon

Banned
Daps
I came from an extremely dysfunctional upbringing which is why I think with support we need those who come from a place of understanding.

Yep.

Showing them how to be constructive and productive goes a long way, this is key to any outreach.

Anything to improve their thinking and behavior will be what they need the most.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
This thread isn't just about group hugs and crying.

A simple check-in, asking "how are you doing?". Not saying it because of it being programmed into us, but actually being concerned.

When someone asks you "How are you?" Do you take time to acknowledge how you feel, or do you automatically spit out "fine", "ok" or "good"?

People don't connect anymore, how are we to develop a sense of community and build?

Yes I understand, some people don't want help Or don't appreciate it. That's their prerogative. The only person you can control is yourself. You are not required to care. But.. if you reach out you never know who you will help or who might end up helping you.

trust is the main issue

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
Whats ironic is that it was the racist whites who created an environment where us sticking together was inevitable, and then the liberal whites (who were suppose to be on our side) are who really tore us apart through their organizations, policies, and laws.
Which liberal policies?

Why do black people keep saying this??? :mindblown:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
After dealing with a lot of bitter black men, and women complaining about bitter black men, I have had an epiphany.

The complaints and insults, the whining and fighting, were actually cries for help.

Black men have a lot on their shoulders, obviously. But one of the issues I haven't been paying attention to is their emotional and mental issues. I am a woman and I have been a child so I know those experiences, it's why I am passionate about helping women and children. The unique experiences of black men haven't been at the forefront of my mind because I have no personal experience with them. Instead, I see black men as strong, masculine, leaders, protectors and defenders. I used to be :scust: at emotional, whiny, passive, victim -claiming black men. Looking down on them and insulting them. I didn't realize that that is a very valid behavior.

I put black men on a pedestal, anyone who didn't measure up to that was looked down on. I have realized that putting them on a pedestal can be just as bad and putting them below me. Instead I had to realize that black men are my equal. That's what I always say, but I didn't believe it truly. Black men are not perfect, they are human. Being human means that you will make mistakes and you will experience life through emotions.

Men, but black men especially, are defined by their masculinity. They are taught not to cry, suck it up, stop being a baby. That isn't healthy. Of course, you shouldn't stay in your feelings, but you shouldn't suppress them and bottle them up either. Emotions have to be experienced and acknowledged. You have to go through it to get over it.

What healthy outlets do men have for their emotions? Most can't go to other men without being teased, called a "punk", "bytch", "soft" or told to toughen up. They can't go to women for fear of looking less like a "man". Usually, all they have are relationships. When the person who you bared yourself to in your most vulnerable state betrays you, it is a perfectly normal reaction to become bitter.

But you can not stay there, you need to release those negative emotions. We have to reach out to each other and connect. Recognizing there is a lack of emotional support for black men. We need to reintroduce ourselves to eachother with an open mind and a sense of equality. These are our equals, our reflections. When black men are hurting, so are black women. When black women are hurting so are black men. We need each other.
Well since no one else is going to say it, TLDR:manny: