Billions - Season 5/Part 2 (September 5th/Official Thread)

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I started binge watching Billions a few weeks ago and finally caught up. I liked it at the beginning but going into S4 it seemed like a chore to watch. Characters talking in movie/music references and metaphors all the time started getting corny and was just generally unrealistic. It felt like Family Guy.

:russ:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show is straight trash. I cut off the last two episodes twenty minutes in both times. I'm probably gonna tune out going forward.

Its like if Aaron Sorkin's retarded brother wrote the script. Chuck will be in the middle of discovery and start talking about how Alexander the Great solved the riddle of the Gordian Knot. Like bro, who cares? It's fukking pretentious. I basically minored in the classics/history with all the classes I took so I get about 75% of their references but, nobody talks like that in real life. Also, no one on Wall Street acts like Taylor. Can't stand her character. At that level of finance your interpersonal skills are just as important to the transaction and deal making as your sense of the numbers and I have a hard time seeing Taylor going on the road, meeting with various institutional investors and convincing cold calculating people to invest their money with her. Also, she's like 28. She was an MBA student in season two. Unrealistic. Her character makes more sense in a Silicon Valley-type setting running a tech startup. There's a reason why Zuckerberg built Facebook and why Henry Kravis runs KKR. The two would be extremely ineffective if they switched roles. I won't even touch that horrific wannabe discount store Greed Is Good montage Axe did a couple episodes ago. The whole point was obscuring the fact that his son caused a black out. So, you go on stage defending your son's actions as if that nonsense would not end up on Youtube, Twitter and Instagram in five seconds in real life? Which would alert the authorities and other people higher up on the food chain who wouldn't give a fukk that you're a billionaire? Lastly, the show is just very white and bland. Devoid of culture. Can't relate to the cac humor. Thank god I work with a good amount of black people. At this point I prefer Succession however, I wonder if the writing will decline a few seasons from now in the same way Billions did. But for now, I appreciate that the characters on Succession don't take themselves as seriously. The focus there seems to be more on portraying the flaws of the elite and how excess corrodes. Which makes for good television. Not about reminding you over and over again how smart the characters are. That shyt got corny fast.

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
if we’re being brutally honest the show fell off during the season finale of S1...when him and axe were in the same room and the room started spinning (well the camera was) while they were exchanging speeches and shyt...shyt was awful...but I kept watching after that out of boredom/habit

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
:laff::laff:
they just need to go ahead and rename this shoe Chuck v Axe- this series has nothing to do with traders, quants, technology, politics or Wall Street, anymore.
Taylor is a sidekick - like a grown up Vicky the robot with sexual identification issues
tumblr_mi3imbBuaq1rvcjd7o2_250.gifv
nikka! You just have officially made me Old with this shyt:dead:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
if we’re being brutally honest the show fell off during the season finale of S1...when him and axe were in the same room and the room started spinning (well the camera was) while they were exchanging speeches and shyt...shyt was awful...but I kept watching after that out of boredom/habit
it wasn’t falling off for me until 4. Seasons 1-3 were on point. Now I think I just watch bc im expecting it hoping it will get better. I said I wasn’t coming back after last episode but here I am, it’s like a fix
2XT.gif

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
not a bad ep
when the black guy thought the warriors was a real historical event :mjlol:

the pill almost had me going online for a stack but then the ending with taylor was funny too. I guess the limitless pill stilll doesn't exisrt.:mjcry:

I liked the "Warriors" exchange, but the "magic pill that gives you mental powers" seemed straight out of a comic book. Nothing about that felt real to me. I DO agree that it was kind of funny when Taylor was like:
This isn't the 'Limitless' shyt, this is the 'Scarface' shyt!

I started binge watching Billions a few weeks ago and finally caught up. I liked it at the beginning but going into S4 it seemed like a chore to watch. Characters talking in movie/music references and metaphors all the time started getting corny and was just generally unrealistic. It felt like Family Guy.
:wow: They really are one baby step away from having cutaway gags to illustrate the references.

I won't even touch that horrific wannabe discount store Greed Is Good montage Axe did a couple episodes ago.

That may have been the low point of the entire show. At least Gordon Gekko had a reason for giving a speech. Why would they even put Axe up there in front of a bunch of kids? :dahell:

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
there's been so many extra movie references this season and especially this episode I was convinced they had picked up a writer from Suits
then Louis Litt from Suits actually popped up in the episode ahaha

then later Axe referenced and explained to the audience what going to the mattress meant and even called the first Godfather "1"
it was at that point I was really convinced someone from Suits was writing on it this season.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
there's been so many extra movie references this season and especially this episode I was convinced they had picked up a writer from Suits
then Louis Litt from Suits actually popped up in the episode ahaha

then later Axe referenced and explained to the audience what going to the mattress meant and even called the first Godfather "1"
it was at that point I was really convinced someone from Suits was writing on it this season.
Did that even need explaining? It seemed self-explanatory to me. You're not sleeping in your bed, you're on a mattress. What else would it have meant?

(To be fair, even "The Sopranos" sometimes referred to the Godfather movies as just "1" or "2".)