Big Boy Club……Amex Gold & Platinum Discussion

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Had my AMEX Gold for a year now. It's cool. I have a Amex Corp card also so that allows me $100 off a year for the membership fee for my personal Gold card. This is a good tip that I don't think most people know...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had my AMEX Gold for a year now. It's cool. I have an Amex Corp card also so that allows me $100 off a year for the membership fee for my personal Gold card. This is a good tip that I don't think most people know...
If I had that I’d add the gold card to my collection. I’m travel focused so platinum is clutch but a discounted gold would suit me

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
If I had that I’d add the gold card to my collection. I’m travel focused so platinum is clutch but a discounted gold would suit me
The credit also works for the platinum card. Just got to make a call to their customer service line.

I'm still trying to figure out if I should upgrade but not sure Yet. I'll make a decision sometime next year but I don't think the perks outweigh the gold card personally.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The credit also works for the platinum card. Just got to make a call to their customer service line.

I'm still trying to figure out if I should upgrade but not sure Yet. I'll make a decision sometime next year but I don't think the perks outweigh the gold card personally.
If you’re traveling frequently and enjoying lounges, free meals and drinks and using CLEAR. Platinum in unbeatable IMO.

If not the Gold is a better option for people that do a lot of dining

Last edited:

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
How do you know if your status with Amex is good or bad?

I’ve never carried a ballance and they email me every month trying to encourage me to do so
I think AE has a section in their app to check your credit score. I get a similar email letting me know how much I can borrow from them if needed. They may just be marketing more business. They've been in around for a while. Check out Wikipedia. They used to be called teamsters and used to transport goods in wagons in the 19th century.

4Eyez

Next stop is...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, New York
usually it makes more sense to apply separately instead of upgrading since you get more points
True, but with virtually everyone I know being in Amex pop-up jail, including myself, upgrades may be way if we still want welcome offer points.

But after the recent plat changes, I’m CERTAINLY going the Venture X route now. Makes most sense for me, considering I’m not flying more than 2 - 3 times a year max. Just need Capital One to pre-approve me for it.

Question for everyone…in your experience, does working directly with a bank teller at your local branch increase your chances of approval for a card? Or no difference if done online? I’ve heard both sides. Some say online is better cause you can be incognito, apply at anytime, not dependent on the competency of the worker, etc. I’ve also heard tellers have quotas they want to meet, sometime for bonuses, so your chances are better in person. Just dunno which is true.

Thinking of trying my luck in person, got a Capital one near me. Venture X already denied me last year, they’re sensitive on hard inquiries. When you bussing down welcome offers left & right, these banks & credit unions see you as a liability first.

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
True, but with virtually everyone I know being in Amex pop-up jail, including myself, upgrades may be way if we still want welcome offer points.

But after the recent plat changes, I’m CERTAINLY going the Venture X route now. Makes most sense for me, considering I’m not flying more than 2 - 3 times a year max. Just need Capital One to pre-approve me for it.

Question for everyone…in your experience, does working directly with a bank teller at your local branch increase your chances of approval for a card? Or no difference if done online? I’ve heard both sides. Some say online is better cause you can be incognito, apply at anytime, not dependent on the competency of the worker, etc. I’ve also heard tellers have quotas they want to meet, sometime for bonuses, so your chances are better in person. Just dunno which is true.

Thinking of trying my luck in person, got a Capital one near me. Venture X already denied me last year, they’re sensitive on hard inquiries. When you bussing down welcome offers left & right, these banks & credit unions see you as a liability first.
Def in person, they get kick backs end of month/year for how many signups they can get. That said, it may be for an offer you might not want (like Savir or Quicksilver etc) since they only want “their elite” clientele on their list “exclusive” card. Good luck! I plan on joining Venture X once they build a lounge here in IAH or even Hobby, right now that card wouldn’t make any sense with just the lone Texas lounge being in funky ass Dallas :hhh:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

dont think it matters where you apply but sometimes bank teller at the branch will give you a better sign up bonus, like a chase sapphire in branch bonus is currently happening now.

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
the one time i tried it i told the banker i'd received one of the preselected offers for 75k points or whatever instead of the public 50k offer they had. i was approved on the spot but for the lower offer - he pwnt me right away by looking up all the marketing material they'd ever sent to me. :mjlol:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
the one time i tried it i told the banker i'd received one of the preselected offers for 75k points or whatever instead of the public 50k offer they had. i was approved on the spot but for the lower offer - he pwnt me right away by looking up all the marketing material they'd ever sent to me. :mjlol:
“I know this nga lying” :beli:
“Let me look up every piece of mail we ever sent his ass” :beli:

“You see sir? Right here it says clearly a 50k point bonus offer, would you still like to apply?” :beli:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
some amazing deals on air france right now. I jsut booked business class for 45K poitns one way in mid Feb, which works out because of winter break. Plus there's a 25% bonus on Amex to transfer to air france. Similar flight on delta is like 200k points one way.