FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Hopefully breh isn't wayne palmer status
holeup.png

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
I can't believe people still think like this with the success of Empire, Shonda Rime's shows, Power, Ballers etc

Black leads have been hot for the past year on tv
But those are considered Black shows, catered to a Black audience, 2 of the shows you named are on premium cable. Unless they make it an over the top, characuture of a Black hero; i.e...have him using slang all the time and dressing ridiculous and sleeping with every and anything moving. Other than that, the show probably will not succeed. 24 gets credit for having a Black president, who of course they killed off and every other Black character for that matter.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
But those are considered Black shows, catered to a Black audience, 2 of the shows you named are on premium cable. Unless they make it an over the top, characuture of a Black hero; i.e...have him using slang all the time and dressing ridiculous and sleeping with every and anything moving. Other than that, the show probably will not succeed. 24 gets credit for having a Black president, who of course they killed off and every other Black character for that matter.

I'm going to disagree to an extent. Scandal and how to get away with murder aren't just catering to black audiences at all. I wouldn't consider those in the same vein as power or empire which are specifically urban. But empire is the biggest show on tv because more than just black people are watching it tho. And having a black lead doesn't mean your show is dead on arrival. The biggest issue the show has is trying to escape the ghost of jack. That's a tough role for anyone to replace. Black white or otherwise

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
I'm going to disagree to an extent. Scandal and how to get away with murder aren't just catering to black audiences at all. I wouldn't consider those in the same vein as power or empire which are specifically urban. But empire is the biggest show on tv because more than just black people are watching it tho. And having a black lead doesn't mean your show is dead on arrival. The biggest issue the show has is trying to escape the ghost of jack. That's a tough role for anyone to replace. Black white or otherwise
I agree with you, but I think Scandal and How to get away with murder, got the Black female audience first, then social media caught wind and they took off, plus they are well written shows. But the common dynamic is the fact the Black leading ladies have intimate relationships with white men and in some cases white women. So it makes it easier to digest for white viewers. Empire is so big because it's so over the top, even though they slip in some pro-black dialogue, it doesn't come across as threatening to a white viewer's sensibilities.

I would hope that a Black lead could carry a show that wasn't considered a Black show that white people gravitated to. And the writers have to be real careful, because the thing that made Jack Bauer so dynamic, was his anger and yelling. You get a Black man screaming and yelling and shooting white people on the regular, all the while being portrayed as a hero? that may make some white viewers uneasy.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I agree with you, but I think Scandal and How to get away with murder, got the Black female audience first, then social media caught wind and they took off, plus they are well written shows. But the common dynamic is the fact the Black leading ladies have intimate relationships with white men and in some cases white women. So it makes it easier to digest for white viewers. Empire is so big because it's so over the top, even though they slip in some pro-black dialogue, it doesn't come across as threatening to a white viewer's sensibilities.

I would hope that a Black lead could carry a show that wasn't considered a Black show that white people gravitated to. And the writers have to be real careful, because the thing that made Jack Bauer so dynamic, was his anger and yelling. You get a Black man screaming and yelling and shooting white people on the regular, all the while being portrayed as a hero? that may make some white viewers uneasy.

I guess I have a more optimistic view of humanity breh. Not even saying you're wrong that's just now how I see it. To me the toughest thing is replacing jack and convincing 24 fans that this thing they love is still in good hands without the guy who carried the weight. He's synonymous with the brand so you got a lot of work to do. And from a ratings standpoint, 24 hasn't been what it used to be in years so it needs to get its base audience back in the fold first and foremost

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi