Best Buy exiting the physical media business next year (4K/Blu-Ray/DVD) UPDATE: Target next

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
to add to that...special features. I can't be the only one who likes them shyts, especially for my fave movies.

these services still generally don't include that...some do, most don't.
I remember when they used to give you a choice between buying the disc that just contained the movie or you could spend a little more and get a disc with lot of special features. I'd always buy the blu-rays/dvd that had the most features on them. The "Making of JAWS" and learning about how Spielberg may have been getting into something a little over his head and then making a triumph is just as fun to watch as the movie itself.

I always loved commentary tracks too. The ones for Anchorman and Armageddon are classics IMO.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It never will.
I dunno, I think it might in the future. 4k streams are definitely worse than 4K bd rips. I almost prefer a 1080p bd rip over a 4k stream rip. I think once we get faster and faster internet we can get closer to the bd picture quality. At least I hope we do. For comparison, 4k rips for a movie are like 15gb. 4k BD rips are like 80gb. We need about 5x better streaming for streams to equal discs. I can see it happening.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
I dunno, I think it might in the future. 4k streams are definitely worse than 4K bd rips. I almost prefer a 1080p bd rip over a 4k stream rip. I think once we get faster and faster internet we can get closer to the bd picture quality. At least I hope we do. For comparison, 4k rips for a movie are like 15gb. 4k BD rips are like 80gb. We need about 5x better streaming for streams to equal discs. I can see it happening.

I haven't tried it but I heard Apple TV has really great 4K streams. Huge difference in bitrate. Checked and it seems Apple is 2nd, Vudu 3rd and then MoviesAnywhere is #1 iirc

Netflix doesn't even hit 20Mbps in 4K. Apple and MoviesAnywhere hits around 25-30+ish Mbps.

Definitely think we'll end up seeing better streams down the line but they'll probably be add-ons or on a higher tier like Max is doing next month

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I think we’re always going to have a bandwidth issue which means content will always have to be compressed vs uncompressed on disc.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
What about the films they haven't put out yet, I'm still waiting for them to release Hard Boiled and The Killer on Criterion

They'll come to Barnes and Nobles if/when they drop. They have a much bigger selection than BB anyways and get all the new drops. Are they planning on re-releasing those on Blu-ray? The DVDs are still expensive as hell

50% off sale should be popping back up soon so I can grab playtime

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
For those looking for a blu-ray player, the highly recommended Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-Ray player is on sale right now is $350 on Amazon/Best Buy (goes for $500)