Best Buy exiting the physical media business next year (4K/Blu-Ray/DVD) UPDATE: Target next

Daps
Reppin
My Set
You know, if they would stop price gouging shyt then people would be able to afford the shyt more often.

And it's so funny that covid came through and messed this all up. I still buy physical because I want to own my shyt. I can't tell you how many times a show I loved was taken off of Netflix and isn't available ANYWHERE or is hard to get physical.

:mjcry: Still can't re-watch Being Human season 4....

Idk what being human is but im finna watch season 4 on the bootleg site just to spite you 🤣

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I been warning Ya’ll about the streaming future
I got Forza Motorsport 7 on games with gold a while back and just saw they took it off the store entirely when I went to get started on my career mode in there. Nasty business. Didn’t just de-list it, but took everything down so even though I had it downloaded I couldn’t play it. Never buying anything digital again for this specific reason.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Physical movie sales started to slow down before Netflix even started its streaming service. I spoke to a district manager at a Best Buy back in 2006 and they already had a plan in place to reduce the size of the movie and music sections even back then. Netflix started its streaming service back in 2007. I think people were burnt out from the transition from VHS to DVD to Blu-ray/ HD DVD, and now UHD 4k. Then you had Hollywood milking us by offering a directors cuts of movies 6 months after the theatrical release on disc. I've owned 5 different sets of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Its crazy. Physical media sales were a huge boom for Hollywood throughout the 80s and 90s. Disney had their Vault, so when they released a movie on VHS, you had a short window to buy it (6 months or so), and they wouldn't rerelease it for years. Used Disney movies use to sell for big bucks from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. Now Hollywood and even Disney is struggling to make a profit off streaming. The death of the home theater hasn't helped either.

shyt i've rebought Back the Future like 5 times and each time thery've promised to include the Stolz footagre...fukking b*stards.

and i remember in 09 hollywood was still threatened by netflix/blockbuster rentals they started doing those rental only discs that only had the movie

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Let's be honest here. For Best Buy if this was a worthwhile part of their business it wouldn't be on the chopping block. It's wild how upset people get and how entitled they act over something that's clearly on heavy decline and doesn't seem to be worth them keeping around.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
I heard it was only DVDs. Which is fine for a 27 year old medium. Their 4K steel books still move. If you don’t preorder especially for a major movie you SOL. I think they will continue to offer those whether it’s in-store or online only

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
The thing that scares me the most is the idea of Blu Ray/DVD Players becoming obsolete. If that happens, then physical media will truly be dead.
to add to that...special features. I can't be the only one who likes them shyts, especially for my fave movies.

these services still generally don't include that...some do, most don't.