Best Buy exiting the physical media business next year (4K/Blu-Ray/DVD) UPDATE: Target next

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
This is wack, I just got into collecting steelbooks of my fav. movies earlier this year.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
fukk that I want my physical discs. I paid full price for a digital game on PS4. I tried redownloading it so I can finish it but they took the standard version off and forcing people to cop the directors cut.

Man foh
Not to mention there WILL come a day where all these servers that host digital purchases (eg, Apple Library, Amazon Digital Library, Microsoft Store, Playstation Network, etc.) will shut down, AND you won't be able to redownload your purchases. They'll just be gone.

If someone hacks your account, you lose access to your digital media. If a publisher bans you from their platform, you lose your digital products.

Physical from the womb to the tomb.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

It is not advantageous to platform holders to have physical media. We’ve reached a point where the overwhelming majority of games are digital. Their next move is to make it prohibitively expensive to have physical games on their platforms vs digital.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It is not advantageous to platform holders to have physical media. We’ve reached a point where the overwhelming majority of games are digital. Their next move is to make it prohibitively expensive to have physical games on their platforms vs digital.

Its is though, having games in stores gets people in the stores, to buy accessories/peripherals, consoles, and its good advertisement to have boxes of your games and signs that point to casual consumers.

Its not a zero sum game between physical game money and digital game money. Thats why nintendo thrives with hardware, there is so much signage for nintendo in department stores still. Its branding