Best Buy exiting the physical media business next year (4K/Blu-Ray/DVD) UPDATE: Target next

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
neutering their elite tiers last year (spend $3.5k/year for perma 2.5% off) was what almost did it for me, now i think i'm out too :francis:

Not to mention them effectively switching My Best Buy into a subscription service, and paywalling sales behind it.

You let your daughter interact with dusty nikkas and drug addicts? Terrible father

Nah, this is some clown shyt, breh.

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
These companies don't want you owning physical media. Disney in some countries is teetering on stopping selling it all together. It's easy to see inside the next 5 or so years physical media being so niche lots of content will just skip it.

It was like pulling teeth to get Disney to release all their "classics" on VHS for damn near 30 years. The end game is the consumer in the palm of their evil hands.

Daps
Pandemic put the final nail in the coffin for physical media being stocked in retail stores.

I still see life in physical sales on a direct to consumer basis.

Not to rehash my view on this because it’s been documented…I will add though that 4K blu rays going away would be a shame more so than video game discs.
I care very much about video and audio quality and having movie content on discs offers me that huge benefit over streaming it. Also, video content seems (I could be wrong just going off of my gut feeling without research) to get delisted / disappear quicker than video games do.
I don’t know. Interesting that while the streaming giants are at a point where they’re rethinking the sustainability of their pricing models physical media is seemingly going away faster than they are fully ready for it.

This gen my digital purchases have been more than all of my past digital purchases combined. I like the pricing competition when there are more options. Hopefully they keep discs direct to consumer at least for a good while longer. In either case…I’m not going to bent all out of shape over this. It is what it is at this point.
Movies are like music now.

I'll buy classics (Roots, Malcolm X etc) but stream anything else. So many services plus we have cable and all the video games. Not surprised though. See a lot of people buying appliances, TV's etc., from BB but no one is ever in the movie section.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
People who still buy discs get their hair cut at best cuts and wear US polo asscn hoddies. :scust:

fukk that I want my physical discs. I paid full price for a digital game on PS4. I tried redownloading it so I can finish it but they took the standard version off and forcing people to cop the directors cut.

Man foh