Best Buy exiting the physical media business next year (4K/Blu-Ray/DVD) UPDATE: Target next

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Console video games are the only medium where I still value buying physical media. Everything else (Movies/TV Shows, books, PC games, Comic Books, Graphic Novels, music, & etc.) I'm all in on digital.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I don't like it. I saw the wind blowing this way when 12 or so years ago I was buying games and they came with CD keys to download whatever I paid for:martin: I don't like how depending on whatever rights issue there is, a movie or show you want to see can be pulled from all vendors and you are forced to pirate to get it. Even some games from way back when are impossible to get copies of and they don't hit a digital retailer. We are forced to just do without when there is no physical media. I say this as a cat who hasn't put a CD in anything but a PS2 the past 8 years or so. Not having the option is not the way to go.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I don't like it. I saw the wind blowing this way when 12 or so years ago I was buying games and they came with CD keys to download whatever I paid for:martin: I don't like how depending on whatever rights issue there is, a movie or show you want to see can be pulled from all vendors and you are forced to pirate to get it. Even some games from way back when are impossible to get copies of and they don't hit a digital retailer. We are forced to just do without when there is no physical media. I say this as a cat who hasn't put a CD in anything but a PS2 the past 8 years or so. Not having the option is not the way to go.
I got a DMCA a few years ago for pirating a game I own.

I posted about here.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
*thinks about my digital games with gold edition of Forza Motorsport 7 being pulled from the Xbox store*

Daps
I only buy physical copies of games but usually it's online through Amazon or BB. In person, maybe Target if I see something good.

I don't think this automatically means more digital games. Instead, people will just order their shyt online and get it delivered. Most folks just go to BB to window shop something they're gonna either buy online from BB or from another retailer.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I only buy physical copies of games but usually it's online through Amazon or BB. In person, maybe Target if I see something good.

I don't think this automatically means more digital games. Instead, people will just order their shyt online and get it delivered. Most folks just go to BB to window shop something they're gonna either buy online from BB or from another retailer.
The only time I've ever gone to physical BBs was to buy things. Why windowshop when you can easily determine if they have the best prices? + price matching

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
Console video games are the only medium where I still value buying physical media. Everything else (Movies/TV Shows, books, PC games, Comic Books, Graphic Novels, music, & etc.) I'm all in on digital.
for me, unless it's a gift, i get all my games digitally

but i still buy physical media for my blu rays

Daps
The only time I've ever gone to physical BBs was to buy things. Why windowshop when you can easily determine if they have the best prices? + price matching
Some folks like seeing electronics, appliances etc., in person.

You can compare price online but for TVs, food processors etc, it helps to have the in-person visual. Doesn't apply as much to games of course.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Some folks like seeing electronics, appliances etc., in person.

You can compare price online but for TVs, food processors etc, it helps to have the in-person visual. Doesn't apply as much to games of course.
old ppl do this. in 2024, it's easier to do this from home... df i look like driving to BB just to scout stuff? 100% of the time if i'm going to BB i'm walking out with something in my hand or to be loaded in my vehicle.

Also, amazon just added a feature to see appliances in your home using augmented reality. if BB doesn't already have this, they will soon

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
old ppl do this. in 2024, it's easier to do this from home... df i look like driving to BB just to scout stuff? 100% of the time if i'm going to BB i'm walking out with something in my hand or to be loaded in my vehicle.

Also, amazon just added a feature to see appliances in your home using augmented reality. if BB doesn't already have this, they will soon

My man gets it :wow:

Nevermind the fact that the "displays" are usually an illusion to what they are truly getting. For instance, the laptops that are on displays at Best Buy are often riddled and rigged to the point the overall product gets shytted on. In reality, folks will want to do more than just browse the internet and play with the demo.

Folks don't realize that the physical store aspect is outdated and quite frankly old news, as Best By focusing more of a warehouse type of setting. Hence, why most of the reps are far and in between as they are trying to get them BPs and Total Techs. Those are the real moneymakers as Best Buy gets a cut, not so much the physical aspect of the product.

In 2024, folks need to realize that they will never own shyt but the grave that you will be sharing with another. The physical games will end up being clutter, as you will eventually get old and want to move onto the next. The DVDs and VHS tapes will end up being an afterthought, as you can easily watch a crap ton of media at the keystroke.

Why burn gas at the nearest department store, when you can easily look at a YouTube video and "READ" about it. I'm tired of humans holding progress back because they are afraid of actually seeking things for themselves. Or relying on owning shyt that will become an obsolete clutter of affairs. And I say this as an old head who actually admire old tech, but will not spend a red cent on such waste of money.