Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This album is decent. The beats are good but there's not much else going on. His peak is still plugs and tana talk. How to rap is a terrible just blaze parody.

The songs are formulaic at times. I think Conway does much better at making major label type music when he has to. I prefer his take on a commercial album to this.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Madlib calls himself the Loop Digga for a reason. That's part of his style to find rare and obscure loops or just use loops period. He also chops as well as anyone but loops are his preference.

He can blend different chops together:

Alchemist doesn't really chop like he used to. He's more loop based now.

The reason I say Madlib is better than Al is he's way more diverse in his sounds. He can do jazz, soul, dark, grimy, melodic, etc. You don't see Al branching out like that. It's a lot of sparse sounds, Eastern European jazz, dark piano loops, and some soul thrown in. Madlib is just more musical and unpredictable and that's why his work is more interesting to me. You never know what a Madlib beat will sound like. You'll get Thuggin or One Beer.

Listen to Madvillainy, Pinata, and Bandana and hear how many sounds and styles he goes through. The albums Al does don't give you different vibes like that. I don't think Al has an album that touches Madvillainy. His albums with Gibbs are better than Alfredo. Still love his work but listening to an album like The Elephant Man's Bones I got what I expected. He gave Benny beats that I expected. I never know what to expect from Madlib because his sample bag is so random and the artist has adjust to something different.

Even with Madlib being a hermit and rarely releasing music I think his work is superior to Al.

Madlib has more classic undisputed albums under his belt.

I rate producers based on how many classic songs and albums they have. Not just consistent output. Alc does more work but Madlib makes more of an impact with less. People like Preem at their height did hip hop, R'n'B bangers over and underground. Alc has not done that yet. He is in a zone riding a wave but he tends to not crack that glass ceiling. He took more swings at major singles in his early career.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're talking about output and he's talking about process. It's two different conversations. No one is denying Madlib is great, just that Alc has the more impressive technical ability.
Are you a producer?

He doesn't.

Compare Al's instrumental albums to Madlib's Beat Konducta series. Madlib can do it all and has more styles and pulls from more genres of music. Compare Alfredo and Bandana and Madlib's production changes the vibe from song to song. I tend to skip songs when I revisit Al's albums. Madlib's I play straight through.

As great as Al is he doesn't have the classic albums. Consistency has made him great but I feel like he stays in certain lane that gets repetitive where Madlib's work with DOOM is nothing like his work with Gibbs.

i know what youre saying breh

im fine with valid critcism, i dont think hitboy is all that either but to spend most of the discussion of the album on hitboys lack of value AFTER the same thing happend in other threads is just plain weird... its like some people couldnt wait for a Alc & the world VS Hitboy debate, feels disjointed...

but if thats what people want... panem et circenses

The common denominator is Hit Boy. He's producing on these albums so people discuss his production. It would only be weird if his name came up for albums he's not on.

Last edited:

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Outside of "Jermaine's Graduation" & "TMVTL" I can't see myself revisiting anything else on this album, this shyt is mid

And nikkas do be riding Alchemist's nuts a little too hard on here. His beats on this album ain't THAT much better than Hit-Boy's
You say this but the only songs you like on here are the Alchemist ones

That's the point nikkas are making

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
You're talking about output and he's talking about process. It's two different conversations. No one is denying Madlib is great, just that Alc has the more impressive technical ability.
Are you a producer?

This here.

The process, especially in this day and age really speaks to skill level. There are DAW's that basically make the beats for you today! So if a producer is still putting in mad work with chopping, banging out drums by hand, and recreating samples in a way that makes them their own, that speaks to a mad high level of skill and mastery. That's what ALC does every time out. So anyone that makes beats or produces can look at that final product and try to figure out how it was done. But if you're just looping, there isn't much to figure out, lol.

Questlove was saying recently that Q-Tip is one of his favorite producers of all-time because there are beats of his like the OG "Crooklyn Dodgers" joint that he still can't figure out how Tip made. That puts certain producers in an entirely different class.

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
Been listening to it at the gym these past few days. I play it front to back. Them Hit Boy tracks grew on me. 4 mic album.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Like it don’t love it. Liked his last two project a ton more. Wanted him to challenge his self a little more. Again not bad at all but I hold Benny in higher esteem. Wanted more How to Rap and Big Tymers

• Dap
Reactions: ADP