Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
Madlib calls himself the Loop Digga for a reason. That's part of his style to find rare and obscure loops or just use loops period. He also chops as well as anyone but loops are his preference.

He can blend different chops together:

Alchemist doesn't really chop like he used to. He's more loop based now.

The reason I say Madlib is better than Al is he's way more diverse in his sounds. He can do jazz, soul, dark, grimy, melodic, etc. You don't see Al branching out like that. It's a lot of sparse sounds, Eastern European jazz, dark piano loops, and some soul thrown in. Madlib is just more musical and unpredictable and that's why his work is more interesting to me. You never know what a Madlib beat will sound like. You'll get Thuggin or One Beer.

Listen to Madvillainy, Pinata, and Bandana and hear how many sounds and styles he goes through. The albums Al does don't give you different vibes like that. I don't think Al has an album that touches Madvillainy. His albums with Gibbs are better than Alfredo. Still love his work but listening to an album like The Elephant Man's Bones I got what I expected. He gave Benny beats that I expected. I never know what to expect from Madlib because his sample bag is so random and the artist has adjust to something different.

Even with Madlib being a hermit and rarely releasing music I think his work is superior to Al.

Go listen to alchemist solo albums he put out recently

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Plenty. FL Studio is a powerful tool, it literally just comes down to mixing. The problem with some modern boom bap is they use generic drum kits instead of sourcing the 70s drum breaks and using the layering/compression techniques that 90s producers used.

shyt Madlib made every Bandana beat on his iPad. No hardware involved.
Facts, its not about the tools it's how you use them.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
no way, not in 2024. Rza can't just coast on a 5 year run forever

alchemist never produced a project like Cuban Linx, but his body of work has annihilated Rza's at this point

Annihilated:jbhmm::jbhmm::jbhmm:

Alchemist has endured multiple forms and doesn't have the amount of classics to match. Still hasn't surpassed RZA all time imo

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
no way, not in 2024. Rza can't just coast on a 5 year run forever

alchemist never produced a project like Cuban Linx, but his body of work has annihilated Rza's at this point
That's what everyone said when that Versus happened with Primo...

He can definitely live off that forever

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I hear you.

I think his sound varies because it's really based on whatever loop he's using. Like when most of us first started making beats, we all just looped random sh*t up because it was so easy to do on the MPC. So we could find records that sounded different, and just loop them up and it would make it sound like we had mad different styles because all we were doing was just catching whatever we thought sounded dope. My thing with Madlib is that if anyone has the records he uses, you can listen and be like, "Damn, he didn't even really do anything with this". That happens a lot when I find that I have the records he's been using.

With ALC, I'll have the same record he used for a track, and won't even notice where he got something from on it. Because he's really dissecting those joints and recreating on a level that makes the beat more his. But he's also using records no one uses. Dude's done whole beat tapes with just French and Dutch samples. All kinds of obscure records. So I still f*ck with Madlib's work, but I'm from that DITC era where the code was looping wasn't the same as actually making those samples your own.

I also think the hermit sh*t hurts the legacy because he never sits with the artists anymore. He just sends beats. He just threw some beat CD's at Gibbs. So who knows when the sh*t was made? LOL!! ALC sits with you and makes sh*t on the spot and gets your input on the track. And lets you kinda guide the beat to your liking. That's why I've always had him way ahead of Madlib on my list. He really does everything the way it's supposed to be done, but at a mad high level.
WILD disrespect. WOW

“We” and “he didn’t do anything with this”

Get all the way the fukk out of here bro straight up

Last edited:

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Annihilated:jbhmm::jbhmm::jbhmm:

Alchemist has endured multiple forms and doesn't have the amount of classics to match. Still hasn't surpassed RZA all time imo
Breh some of these people are lame as fukk and I’m a ALC stan. That “5 year run” is all Rza needed and since I know his catalog there’s mad more songs he made.

Goofy said “annihilated” :mjlol:

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
No disrespect, at all.

Just production talk. Looping is looping.
Bro, you’re 100% correct. In my humble opinion you’re all the way tripping having Madlib ahead of Alchemist all-time.

Alchemist has honed his craft & fine tuned his shyt so meticulously it is actually absurd. I’m sorry but when talking about certain producers you have to go back 25 years to find consistent production that was fire. Alchemist has been doing that for fukking 25 years straight!

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
God damn I hate Hit-Boy's beats

Just the most milquetoast vacant sounding beats imaginable....horribly uninspried producer.
I’m so torn on Hit-Boy. I like some of his beats even if they aren’t the highest quality but listening to How To Rap, man, we have heard that beat a thousand times. Generic.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How do production experts explain these amateurs like Nas and Da Butcher using Hit boys beats so much if there soooo fkkn wack ? Is it hypnosis or voodoo ? And even Uncle Al did some work with him...

Certain posters insistence on shiiiting on the mans input is mind-boggling, did the same thing in the last Nas albums threads, derailed the discussion with these soliloquies, give it a rest already... WE GET IT !!!

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
How do production experts explain these amateurs like Nas and Da Butcher using Hit boys beats so much if there soooo fkkn wack ? Is it hypnosis or voodoo ? And even Uncle Al did some work with him...

Certain posters insistence on shiiiting on the mans input is mind-boggling, did the same thing in the last Nas albums threads, derailed the discussion with these soliloquies, give it a rest already... WE GET IT !!!
I, for one, have never said that his beats are wack. Two, we are Hip-Hop nerds and love discussing anything Hip-Hop. We don’t have to be fans of everyone & love pontificating about beat makers!

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I, for one, have never said that his beats are wack. Two, we are Hip-Hop nerds and love discussing anything Hip-Hop. We don’t have to be fans of everyone & love pontificating about beat makers!

i know what youre saying breh

im fine with valid critcism, i dont think hitboy is all that either but to spend most of the discussion of the album on hitboys lack of value AFTER the same thing happend in other threads is just plain weird... its like some people couldnt wait for a Alc & the world VS Hitboy debate, feels disjointed...

but if thats what people want... panem et circenses

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
i know what youre saying breh

im fine with valid critcism, i dont think hitboy is all that either but to spend most of the discussion of the album on hitboys lack of value AFTER the same thing happend in other threads is just plain weird... its like some people couldnt wait for a Alc & the world VS Hitboy debate, feels disjointed...

but if thats what people want... panem et circenses
I personally would rather listen to Burden Of Proof than Alfredo :manny:

THE 101

House Painter
Daps

Stop being so sensitive about people not liking someone's beats.

Just because Nas uses his beats doesn't mean I have to like him. Great rappers since time began have rapped over bad beats. shyt Nas has got criticism for years about having a bad ear for beats (although generally I've disagreed with that narrative).

Ain't no one derailing the discussion. We are literally engaging in conversation on the music. If you just want an echo chamber were we all just call the album perfect create a stan thread with no criticism allowed.

Don't be so thin skinned over some Hit Boy beats