Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Alchemist got his style from Muggs not RZA. They all have the dusty sound but he sounds nothing like RZA when you get into the details. Working with Havoc and Mobb is where he made those darker beats. It wasn't a Wu influence. I don't even hear them being compared.

We Gon Make It, Worst Comes to Worst, Tick Tock, or any of his classics aren't like RZA. He's praised because of his own merit and work ethic. Personally I think Madlib is better than Al but he's just not as active. Al has music dropping damn near monthly so that's why he's moved up in the ranks.

Crazy to say Al sounds like or reminds anyone of RZA when Hit Boy is literally copying other producers' styles and doesn't really have one of his own.

Mad that people kept saying Nas should work with Alchemist so this album was going to be Hit Boy showing he's as good or better than him. Album dropped and everyone is saying Hit Boy got washed so here we are with the Alchemist slander because the narrative didn't go their way.

We even have someone saying we're just Al stans and love everything he does even though the majority of us have been critical of the experimental, lazy loops, drumless production he's done for Earl, Armand Hammer, Mike, etc. They can literally search those album threads but they'll lie to suit their agenda.

There's no need to look at anything outside of Everybody Can't Go. Go beat for beat and there's an obvious skill gap from the sampling, drums, and mixing.

This is all facts.

Though Al credits DJ Lethal along with Muggs as his mentors on production before studying under Primo.

As far as Madlib being better than ALC, I can't agree with that one, lol. I love Madlib's work, but if you dig and collect records too, you can see that dude basically loops a lot of his sh*t. He finds wild sh*t people haven't touched yet, but he's not as evolved at production as ALC is. ALC can take some sh*t you've heard a million times and turn it into something else that you don’t even recognize, kinda like how Tip, Pete and Preme used to do. Madlib's technique is more like Prince Paul's sh*t back in the late 80's and early 90's, where he was taking mad random loops and layering them on top of each other. His recent work for Gibbs was literally a straight loop he got from a Crate League sample kit that I've heard other local beatmakers use. Love the dude's work, but he's just been matching BPM's for drums loops to samples forever. He's not on the level of an ALC or Dilla, who's going to break down samples and make them their own.

Which is why I think Al is so dope. He's really producing at a level we haven't seen in mad long. Dude is taking 4-5 different sample chops and blending them together like they're all from the same record. That's some Bomb Squad kinda sh*t. And then banging out his own drums over them to give them that classic knock. Dudes these days ain't putting that kinda work into their beats anymore, which is why his sh*t sounds so much better than everyone else's now.

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
After playing this all weekend I think the Hitboy beats provide a nice jumpy balance. But the quality of production between him and Alchemist is night and day, apart from "Bron", which is the perfect way to follow up from the intro.

Solid project but not a ground shaking major debut like he hyped it up to be. Gotta review the albums that came after DMX and evaluate that statement lol

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
RZA has probably the best 5 year run of any hiphop producer ever and I don’t think that run will ever be touched. Where Al managed to creep into the overall top 5-10 status is with the longevity. Al never had a run of impactful albums like those early Wu albums and probably won’t, but he’s been top 5 must active producers on any given year for a couple decades now.

His output is just so much. And it’s consistent. I don’t like as much the beats he does for Earl or Armand Hammer or Mike and Wiki, but there’s enough stuff he does for others (Benny, Boldy, Gibbs, Conway, Spitta, Ev, Prodigy) that I don’t mind the other stuff that’s not for me.

And he’s made a lot of quality collab albums the past 10 years. He’s in my all time top 5 or 10, and in my top 3 personal favorites. I still have ahead of him all time RZA, Preemo, and Dre. And peak Havoc and Madlib I have ahead of him. But Al has so much more overall music released with artists than any of those guys. It’s crazy.

Yeah dude comparing Alch to RZA is wild. They need to go back and listen to 90s Wu really quick

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is all facts.

Though Al credits DJ Lethal along with Muggs as his mentors on production before studying under Primo.

As far as Madlib being better than ALC, I can't agree with that one, lol. I love Madlib's work, but if you dig and collect records too, you can see that dude basically loops a lot of his sh*t. He finds wild sh*t people haven't touched yet, but he's not as evolved at production as ALC is. ALC can take some sh*t you've heard a million times and turn it into something else that you don’t even recognize, kinda like how Tip, Pete and Preme used to do. Madlib's technique is more like Prince Paul's sh*t back in the late 80's and early 90's, where he was taking mad random loops and layering them on top of each other. His recent work for Gibbs was literally a straight loop he got from a Crate League sample kit that I've heard other local beatmakers use. Love the dude's work, but he's just been matching BPM's for drums loops to samples forever. He's not on the level of an ALC or Dilla, who's going to break down samples and make them their own.

Which is why I think Al is so dope. He's really producing at a level we haven't seen in mad long. Dude is taking 4-5 different sample chops and blending them together like they're all from the same record. That's some Bomb Squad kinda sh*t. And then banging out his own drums over them to give them that classic knock. Dudes these days ain't putting that kinda work into their beats anymore, which is why his sh*t sounds so much better than everyone else's now.

Madlib calls himself the Loop Digga for a reason. That's part of his style to find rare and obscure loops or just use loops period. He also chops as well as anyone but loops are his preference.

He can blend different chops together:

Alchemist doesn't really chop like he used to. He's more loop based now.

The reason I say Madlib is better than Al is he's way more diverse in his sounds. He can do jazz, soul, dark, grimy, melodic, etc. You don't see Al branching out like that. It's a lot of sparse sounds, Eastern European jazz, dark piano loops, and some soul thrown in. Madlib is just more musical and unpredictable and that's why his work is more interesting to me. You never know what a Madlib beat will sound like. You'll get Thuggin or One Beer.

Listen to Madvillainy, Pinata, and Bandana and hear how many sounds and styles he goes through. The albums Al does don't give you different vibes like that. I don't think Al has an album that touches Madvillainy. His albums with Gibbs are better than Alfredo. Still love his work but listening to an album like The Elephant Man's Bones I got what I expected. He gave Benny beats that I expected. I never know what to expect from Madlib because his sample bag is so random and the artist has adjust to something different.

Even with Madlib being a hermit and rarely releasing music I think his work is superior to Al.

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
Russian Roulette was Alchemist doing Madlib:pachaha:

That's not a knock either, I'm just glad I've had the pleasure of watching them both develop over 20 years. Music is amazing :blessed:

Edit: It's closer to 30 with regards to both actually, wow, I remember when alchemist was one half of the Whooliganz lmaoooo.

Last edited:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Madlib calls himself the Loop Digga for a reason. That's part of his style to find rare and obscure loops or just use loops period. He also chops as well as anyone but loops are his preference.

He can blend different chops together:

Alchemist doesn't really chop like he used to. He's more loop based now.

The reason I say Madlib is better than Al is he's way more diverse in his sounds. He can do jazz, soul, dark, grimy, melodic, etc. You don't see Al branching out like that. It's a lot of sparse sounds, Eastern European jazz, dark piano loops, and some soul thrown in. Madlib is just more musical and unpredictable and that's why his work is more interesting to me. You never know what a Madlib beat will sound like. You'll get Thuggin or One Beer.

Listen to Madvillainy, Pinata, and Bandana and hear how many sounds and styles he goes through. The albums Al does don't give you different vibes like that. I don't think Al has an album that touches Madvillainy. His albums with Gibbs are better than Alfredo. Still love his work but listening to an album like The Elephant Man's Bones I got what I expected. He gave Benny beats that I expected. I never know what to expect from Madlib because his sample bag is so random and the artist has adjust to something different.

Even with Madlib being a hermit and rarely releasing music I think his work is superior to Al.

Only thing that separates the two on my list but it’s a very important variable

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Russian Roulette was Alchemist doing Madlib:pachaha:

That's not a knock either, I'm just glad I've had the pleasure of watching them both develop over 20 years. Music is amazing :blessed:

Edit: It's closer to 30 with regards to both actually, wow, I remember when alchemist was one half of the Whooliganz lmaoooo.
Came in to say the same thing. Great discussion in here regarding Al and Madlib but to me, I’m just grateful to be able to have lived through their entire careers to see them develop. We are very lucky bc they’ve both blessed us :blessed:

onlylno

Haitian American Descended From Slaves
Supporter
Daps
What is this? 2004? There are a lot of people who use FL Studio and make the shyt bang at this point. It's about the mixing.

Who’s producing boom bap on fruity loops and making it sound great?