Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Who’s producing boom bap on fruity loops and making it sound great?
Plenty. FL Studio is a powerful tool, it literally just comes down to mixing. The problem with some modern boom bap is they use generic drum kits instead of sourcing the 70s drum breaks and using the layering/compression techniques that 90s producers used.

shyt Madlib made every Bandana beat on his iPad. No hardware involved.

waynep

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like @Supa said, none of this means anything, but the 3 most played songs on the album are Big Dog with 6.7 million streams. Bron has 690k streams, and One Foot In has 685k streams.
I knew the singles would be the top 3. I wanna know the numbers from the album cuts.

waynep

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't see what that would prov
Y'all are telling me the Hit-Boy music doesn't sound good. I wanna see if the plays outside of here reflect that.. What are people listening to off the album outside of the singles? I have no clue I just wanna know.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all are telling me the Hit-Boy music doesn't sound good. I wanna see if the plays outside of here reflect that.. What are people listening to off the album outside of the singles? I have no clue I just wanna know.

Numbers don't determine the quality of the music. If you think the beats are good then argue your point.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Alc the goat ….. I would not even think of sampling that
Seriously. I've been trying to put myself in the headspace to find samples like this and it's like having to reprogram my brain. Every now and then I'm able to tap in, but then I lose it again and have to retrain myself. This is what 30 years of high level beatmaking looks like.

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Plenty. FL Studio is a powerful tool, it literally just comes down to mixing. The problem with some modern boom bap is they use generic drum kits instead of sourcing the 70s drum breaks and using the layering/compression techniques that 90s producers used.

shyt Madlib made every Bandana beat on his iPad. No hardware involved.
I’m confused on why nikkaz think you can’t make crack on FL? Me personally I don’t use it but you can make crack on that shyt

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Madlib calls himself the Loop Digga for a reason. That's part of his style to find rare and obscure loops or just use loops period. He also chops as well as anyone but loops are his preference.

He can blend different chops together:

Alchemist doesn't really chop like he used to. He's more loop based now.

The reason I say Madlib is better than Al is he's way more diverse in his sounds. He can do jazz, soul, dark, grimy, melodic, etc. You don't see Al branching out like that. It's a lot of sparse sounds, Eastern European jazz, dark piano loops, and some soul thrown in. Madlib is just more musical and unpredictable and that's why his work is more interesting to me. You never know what a Madlib beat will sound like. You'll get Thuggin or One Beer.

Listen to Madvillainy, Pinata, and Bandana and hear how many sounds and styles he goes through. The albums Al does don't give you different vibes like that. I don't think Al has an album that touches Madvillainy. His albums with Gibbs are better than Alfredo. Still love his work but listening to an album like The Elephant Man's Bones I got what I expected. He gave Benny beats that I expected. I never know what to expect from Madlib because his sample bag is so random and the artist has adjust to something different.

Even with Madlib being a hermit and rarely releasing music I think his work is superior to Al.

I hear you.

I think his sound varies because it's really based on whatever loop he's using. Like when most of us first started making beats, we all just looped random sh*t up because it was so easy to do on the MPC. So we could find records that sounded different, and just loop them up and it would make it sound like we had mad different styles because all we were doing was just catching whatever we thought sounded dope. My thing with Madlib is that if anyone has the records he uses, you can listen and be like, "Damn, he didn't even really do anything with this". That happens a lot when I find that I have the records he's been using.

With ALC, I'll have the same record he used for a track, and won't even notice where he got something from on it. Because he's really dissecting those joints and recreating on a level that makes the beat more his. But he's also using records no one uses. Dude's done whole beat tapes with just French and Dutch samples. All kinds of obscure records. So I still f*ck with Madlib's work, but I'm from that DITC era where the code was looping wasn't the same as actually making those samples your own.

I also think the hermit sh*t hurts the legacy because he never sits with the artists anymore. He just sends beats. He just threw some beat CD's at Gibbs. So who knows when the sh*t was made? LOL!! ALC sits with you and makes sh*t on the spot and gets your input on the track. And lets you kinda guide the beat to your liking. That's why I've always had him way ahead of Madlib on my list. He really does everything the way it's supposed to be done, but at a mad high level.

_genocidecutter_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On my third listen yeah this is still a great album. Benny lyricism is on fire on this. He’s almost on the same level as Violent J.