Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
The Snoop song grew on me. Still feel like How to Rap feels cheesy. Don't really dislike anything else but there aren't that many highs on the album either. I don't know if it's Benny or the production making it feel directionless but at the same time I'm not mad overall.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
RZA has probably the best 5 year run of any hiphop producer ever and I don’t think that run will ever be touched. Where Al managed to creep into the overall top 5-10 status is with the longevity. Al never had a run of impactful albums like those early Wu albums and probably won’t, but he’s been top 5 must active producers on any given year for a couple decades now.

His output is just so much. And it’s consistent. I don’t like as much the beats he does for Earl or Armand Hammer or Mike and Wiki, but there’s enough stuff he does for others (Benny, Boldy, Gibbs, Conway, Spitta, Ev, Prodigy) that I don’t mind the other stuff that’s not for me.

And he’s made a lot of quality collab albums the past 10 years. He’s in my all time top 5 or 10, and in my top 3 personal favorites. I still have ahead of him all time RZA, Preemo, and Dre. And peak Havoc and Madlib I have ahead of him. But Al has so much more overall music released with artists than any of those guys. It’s crazy.
I agree that nobody can touch RZA’s initial 5 year run. I can also say that Alchemist has easily been a better producer than RZA for the past 25 years.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I never said Alch wasn’t good I like Alch produced songs, i’m saying the Hit-Boy hate is a result of people feeling somehow threatened that Alchemist’s “crown” is being usurped when Alchemist himself (in my opinion) ain’t no GOAT level untouchable producer. Alch is a product of RZA and other 90’s producers who did it ten times better than Alch himself ever did.

Doesn’t mean he’s not good but the absolute dismissal of Hit-Boy when compared to Alchemist is fukking disgusting.

what is all this talk about alchemist being a rza clone? I don't hear that at all when I listen to his production.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
what is all this talk about alchemist being a rza clone? I don't hear that at all when I listen to his production.
Right I mean early on he was sort of a junior Muggs but it made sense because he learned how to make beats from Muggs. And Muggs and RZA had some similarities. But Al and Muggs too have both changed their styles since the late 90’s, and at this point I don’t think either one of them sounds at all like RZA.

Funcrusher

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Frustrated Nas Stan babble. This might have been the most predictable thread ever. Alchemist washing Hitboy on a 50/50 produced project and Ziggiy coming to the rescue to defend Nas by bigging up Hitboy and talking down on Alchemist in the process. Seen that one coming since the album was announced.

Having said that, I'm not feeling this album.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right I mean early on he was sort of a junior Muggs but it made sense because he learned how to make beats from Muggs. And Muggs and RZA had some similarities. But Al and Muggs too have both changed their styles since the late 90’s, and at this point I don’t think either one of them sounds at all like RZA.

Alchemist got his style from Muggs not RZA. They all have the dusty sound but he sounds nothing like RZA when you get into the details. Working with Havoc and Mobb is where he made those darker beats. It wasn't a Wu influence. I don't even hear them being compared.

We Gon Make It, Worst Comes to Worst, Tick Tock, or any of his classics aren't like RZA. He's praised because of his own merit and work ethic. Personally I think Madlib is better than Al but he's just not as active. Al has music dropping damn near monthly so that's why he's moved up in the ranks.

Crazy to say Al sounds like or reminds anyone of RZA when Hit Boy is literally copying other producers' styles and doesn't really have one of his own.

Frustrated Nas Stan babble. This might have been the most predictable thread ever. Alchemist washing Hitboy on a 50/50 produced project and Ziggiy coming to the rescue to defend Nas by bigging up Hitboy and talking down on Alchemist in the process. Seen that one coming since the album was announced.

Having said that, I'm not feeling this album.

Mad that people kept saying Nas should work with Alchemist so this album was going to be Hit Boy showing he's as good or better than him. Album dropped and everyone is saying Hit Boy got washed so here we are with the Alchemist slander because the narrative didn't go their way.

We even have someone saying we're just Al stans and love everything he does even though the majority of us have been critical of the experimental, lazy loops, drumless production he's done for Earl, Armand Hammer, Mike, etc. They can literally search those album threads but they'll lie to suit their agenda.

There's no need to look at anything outside of Everybody Can't Go. Go beat for beat and there's an obvious skill gap from the sampling, drums, and mixing.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Alchemist got his style from Muggs not RZA. They all have the dusty sound but he sounds nothing like RZA when you get into the details. Working with Havoc and Mobb is where he made those darker beats. It wasn't a Wu influence. I don't even hear them being compared.

We Gon Make It, Worst Comes to Worst, Tick Tock, or any of his classics aren't like RZA. He's praised because of his own merit and work ethic. Personally I think Madlib is better than Al but he's just not as active. Al has music dropping damn near monthly so that's why he's moved up in the ranks.

Crazy to say Al sounds like or reminds anyone of RZA when Hit Boy is literally copying other producers' styles and doesn't really have one of his own.

Mad that people kept saying Nas should work with Alchemist so this album was going to be Hit Boy showing he's as good or better than him. Album dropped and everyone is saying Hit Boy got washed so here we are with the Alchemist slander because the narrative didn't go their way.

We even have someone saying we're just Al stans and love everything he does even though the majority of us have been critical of the experimental, lazy loops, drumless production he's done for Earl, Armand Hammer, Mike, etc. They can literally search those album threads but they'll lie to suit their agenda.

There's no need to look at anything outside of Everybody Can't Go. Go beat for beat and there's an obvious skill gap from the sampling, drums, and mixing.
Good breakdown. Yeah I’m one of the bigger Al fans on here and I’ve been critical of a lot of the joints he’s done for Earl and Mike and what not. Those projects are super lazy. The be listened to the wiki and Mike and Al project like 4-5 times and that’s it. I can’t get into the production at all. Same with the Earl/Alc album. I hate most of those beats

And plenty of other folks on the Coli hate when Al dips into that bag. But his dope shyt makes up for it

I think this board has a fairly even handed take on his production. Lots of people on here say they think Madlib is better, Hav, etc.

I think Madlib is better but Madlib just releases way less music these days and Havoc rarely drops music. Preemo doesn’t drop much. RZA never drops. Muggs drops a lot.

But yeah. His early work was Preemo and Muggs and Havoc inspired. Peep this early beat he did. Straight preemo.

Last edited: