Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I actually like his rollout.

I wish more artists did this

Why? We're witnessing a late 00s Jadakiss album rollout in 2024. Right down to the generic Wayne feature on a single. I doubt there's anyone in that Def Jam office today who was there when The Last Kiss came out but they're running the same play with probably 20% of the budget. What does that tell you about label's value, or the artist's value to them...

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Why? We're witnessing a late 00s Jadakiss album rollout in 2024. Right down to the generic Wayne feature on a single. I doubt there's anyone in that Def Jam office today who was there when The Last Kiss came out but they're running the same play with probably 20% of the budget. What does that tell you about label's value, or the artist's value to them...

Because by doing it this way..

He can guage interest. He can see You tube numbers. He can see spotify numbers.

If you and enuff people dont like the Wayne song, guess what, he can replace the song with another song before it drops. He maximizing interest by engagement. Thats a great thing.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

If you and enuff people dont like the Wayne song, guess what, he can replace the song with another song before it drops. He maximizing interest by engagement. Thats a great thing.
100% serious question...can't all of these things be done independently?

Youtbue views, spotify numbers, removing or adding songs up to the last second...all of that stuff is super easy to to do without needing a major label to do it.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have signed a major label deal BTW. I'm just saying these things in particular are super simple to do.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
He should look at Rick Ross's Teflon Don album as a blueprint and even go with that sound. Justice League like shyt with horns which I think Alchmist could pull off. If I'm in Benny's camp I would nudge him that direction. That's the only way he would get commercial success but at this point I doubt it.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

But none of these tracks are going to be popular because he doesn't make popular music. His fanbase is capped, and most of them know he has an album coming out. The only smart thing to do is to drop a release date ("my album is coming out in two weeks"), drop a video, put up some pre-orders for vinyl records, and do the inevitable 15-25k first week. Releasing a bunch of singles does nothing for artists like this. Women aren't peeping, kids aren't peeping, casual rap fans aren't peeping. So all you're doing is dropping records your actual fans are gonna complain about because they don't sound Griselda-enough.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
100% serious question...can't all of these things be done independently?

Youtbue views, spotify numbers, removing or adding songs up to the last second...all of that stuff is super easy to to do without needing a major label to do it.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have signed a major label deal BTW. I'm just saying these things in particular are super simple to do.
Doing this independently I’m going to just assume you don’t get the huge signing bonus that Def Jam offers. Correct?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

This is not a great thing by any standards. He's throwing shyt against a wall, seeing what sticks

Great is hitting on your first two singles and never moving the date cause fans love it and the label loves the numbers..

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
This is not a great thing by any standards. He's throwing shyt against a wall, seeing what sticks

Great is hitting on your first two singles and never moving the date cause fans love it and the label loves the numbers..
Yes. Because so many albums nowadays are just churning out hit Hip-Hop records. You dudes sound so jaded :hhh:

Quick, name one track off 21 Savage new album. Name the hit singles off Wayne/2 Chainz album. Name recognition gets you the plays nowadays it’s not about pushing hit singles prior to a release. Benny dropping these tracks is to keep the momentum of pushing him out there to reach as many views as possible.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Yes. Because so many albums nowadays are just churning out hit Hip-Hop records. You dudes sound so jaded :hhh:

Quick, name one track off 21 Savage new album. Name the hit singles off Wayne/2 Chainz album. Name recognition gets you the plays nowadays it’s not about pushing hit singles prior to a release. Benny dropping these tracks is to keep the momentum of pushing him out there to reach as many views as possible.
Are you high? This isn't what I want to happen. Don't name other mid albums to make your point... Settle down and realize what we are saying:

THIS IS NOT A GOOD NOR PLANNED ROLLOUT

It's not us saying it. It's his label SHOWING us, because labels don't waste money doing this. They don't give away half an album if the first songs are doing well. They don't push back albums when they believe they'll do numbers. They don't put you on 5 different promo run tours to generate buzz.

They gotta get their goddamn money back. Y'all want it to be some new wave of promo but it's not. When labels start pushing shyt back and putting out hal the album, you are COOKED

I take no pride in saying that. TBH, why the fukk do I care what it sells? Is it good or not? But that doesn't change that the label don't believe and all this extra shyt is because of that. Drake don't put out 10 singles and 5 pushbacks.. His shyt is a hit the first time

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I listened to Big Dog when it dropped but forget what it sounds like lol

I intentionally avoided the drops and will just listen to the full project next Friday

It was a poor rollout that's taking way too long but honestly if the album is dope I won't really give a shyt lol

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Doing this independently I’m going to just assume you don’t get the huge signing bonus that Def Jam offers. Correct?

You don’t. But that bonus ain't free. Benny still has to recoup that.

Which is why I still don’t understand the Def Jam move for him. He's not a new artist. And Griselda has enough of a following for him to drop indie and not have to kick back most of his bread to a label because they fronted him some money. They're not doing anything that Benny wouldn't have been able to do on his own. But a lot of artists feel like they just want to focus on the music and let the labels cover the business. Problem is, it's mad costly.

Def Jam isn't the Def Jam we know from back in the day anymore. Most of their "black music" department is run by people who don’t even listen to these records. So I don’t understand why an MC would leave his career in the hands of people who aren't even fans of the music they're responsible for pushing and advising on. A lot of rappers just want that first check and figure they can come up with a way to pay it all back down the line. It's rarely a smart move.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You don’t. But that bonus ain't free. Benny still has to recoup that.

Which is why I still don’t understand the Def Jam move for him. He's not a new artist. And Griselda has enough of a following for him to drop indie and not have to kick back most of his bread to a label because they fronted him some money. They're not doing anything that Benny wouldn't have been able to do on his own. But a lot of artists feel like they just want to focus on the music and let the labels cover the business. Problem is, it's mad costly.

Def Jam isn't the Def Jam we know from back in the day anymore. Most of their "black music" department is run by people who don’t even listen to these records. So I don’t understand why an MC would leave his career in the hands of people who aren't even fans of the music they're responsible for pushing and advising on. A lot of rappers just want that first check and figure they can come up with a way to pay it all back down the line. It's rarely a smart move.
Benny answered that himself. He said he went to Def Jam because he wanted that major label push. He literally says he wants them to take him places he can't reach as an indie........

What he didn't factor in was... If you not putting up major label numbers, they won't be major label pushing you

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

lil wayne actually isn't wack on that song. the last few appearances I've heard of weezy, it seems like he has been rejuvenated after being :trash: for so long.