Benny The Butcher - Everybody Can’t Go (Discussion Thread)

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
I don't see the point of signing to a label like Def Jam unless you're going to at least try and make some mainstream hit singles. I guess the label thought he would make 10-15 songs like 'Johnny Ps Caddy', but its pretty rare for songs like that to blow up. Also Cole was a big part of the songs popularity. Wayne, Snoop and Jadakiss are dope but not big artists for Gen Z - basically who they need to listen to this for it to be successful on streaming.

This could drop independently and be just as popular by the sound of it.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I don't see the point of signing to a label like Def Jam unless you're going to at least try and make some mainstream hit singles. I guess the label thought he would make 10-15 songs like 'Johnny Ps Caddy', but its pretty rare for songs like that to blow up. Also Cole was a big part of the songs popularity. Wayne, Snoop and Jadakiss are dope but not big artists for Gen Z - basically who they need to listen to this for it to be successful on streaming.

The label gave him money To make music. Signing to a label makes sense

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I’m answering a question… your question.

You asked why he would sign with no promo. He wouldn’t. The label most likely cut promo when they saw the numbers and buzz flopping
No, that’s not what I was implying. I was saying why would he sign with a major label to just drop an album out of nowhere. He has been releasing music video after music video and been interviewing in different spots and also been releasing promo video‘s on YouTube. You’re saying the label hasn’t done promo? He signed a one album deal. He got the number he asked for. I don’t see why heads are complaining about the Def Jam deal.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps

He gets a bigger budget.

Trace

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
No, that’s not what I was implying. I was saying why would he sign with a major label to just drop an album out of nowhere. He has been releasing music video after music video and been interviewing in different spots and also been releasing promo video‘s on YouTube. You’re saying the label hasn’t done promo? He signed a one album deal. He got the number he asked for. I don’t see why heads are complaining about the Def Jam deal.
I be wondering how Griselda artists landed those deals, never heard of one album deals until Benny and Conway.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
That Bron shyt was almost it. He needed to talk mad shyt on the hook with a beat like this. shyt seem it's missing something, maybe he will remix it..

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I get your point, imo if I was an artist and signed to a major I'm with you and their has to be a roll out.

The issue with the def jam deal is that the roll out isn't smooth. They keep switching the release date, dropping way too many singles and are doing a lot trying to get something to crack which means they are panicking. A good example of this is J Cole before his debut album. He was dropped a few failed singles and even gave us Friday Night Lights mixtape to hold us over. He got it right once the album dropped though but I'm not sure Benny would do the same. He has to make more mainstream sounding stuff and kinda stick to that burden of proof lane imo.

I be wondering how Griselda artists landed those deals, never heard of one album deals until Benny and Conway.
You can negotiate for a short term deal but most want the money so they sign for multiple albums for a bigger bag.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Singles been pretty weak. It's like he's chasing a "single" sound instead of just putting out music.

Still checking for the album but I don't understand signing to a major label if you're already independently successful. I see people saying for promo but I guarantee this sells the same as his other shyt.

Fred.