Belgium and Hawaii declare loot boxes as gambling UPDATE: More States Join In

AlphaOne

OFT XI E Squad
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey / XO
Good fukk them. Government needs to step in

Half these games don’t even work online on release date. releasing half assed games and getting away with it.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
SF2 was 100 bucks 25 years ago and was copped. That shyt would be 170 dollars today.

Before disc media came into play, cats were getting raped on cartridges.

that's because they could get away with it back then....there were no fighting games on the home console market at all, sf2 was so wildly popular in the arcades ppl (myself included) would pay a premium for a nearly perfect arcade port because it literally did not exist anywhere else. There are too many games and cheaper options on the market now to justify buying a $100 game that's likely a sequal to a game that came out a year prior. It just would not work.

This is why DLC is so important to devs now because you can sell a $100+ game without people going to the store and seeing that price tag. They see this game at a very reasonable price of $60 but wait you can get this ultra Black hawk edition later on if you want for just $30...you play the game and realize all your friends are playing maps that you can't access and then you buy into that $100 game they originally wanted you to buy. It's quite simple

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
that's because they could get away with it back then....there were no fighting games on the home console market at all, sf2 was so wildly popular in the arcades ppl (myself included) would pay a premium for a nearly perfect arcade port because it literally did not exist anywhere else. There are too many games and cheaper options on the market now to justify buying a $100 game that's likely a sequal to a game that came out a year prior. It just would not work.

This is why DLC is so important to devs now because you can sell a $100+ game without people going to the store and seeing that price tag. They see this game at a very reasonable price of $60 but wait you can get this ultra Black hawk edition later on if you want for just $30...you play the game and realize all your friends are playing maps that you can't access and then you buy into that $100 game they originally wanted you to buy. It's quite simple

It wasn't just SF though.
OsFRDHz.jpg

UGeF0.jpg

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
It wasn't just SF though.
OsFRDHz.jpg

UGeF0.jpg

That looks Canadian, snes games weren't that much around my parts. Some were $70 but that's about it but again they could get away with these prices back then. There were not nearly as much gaming options and competition back then

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Of course not all games

But there are already $80 versions of games on the market

The Fallout 4 GOTY is like 75

Give ppl the extra content up front

And if they want the the standard, charged the standard 60
alot of that shyt is in the game and youre just paying extra to access it

like these games with season passes.... those map packs n shyt are all on the disc

these game are fukking finessing the fukk out of us

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I'm as excited as y'all are to hope for a possibility of no loot boxes in future games...

BUT...

I'm small understanding that this probably means we should expect the era of the $100 physical/$80 digital game.

I'm okay with that.

Are y'all?
If i get a game of the year edition at launch for 80 dollars i can live with that

But the average broke consumer in America cannot.

3rd world gaming coming to an end.

Making me pay extra for content on disc and calling it deluxe shoukd be a crime.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
alot of that shyt is in the game and youre just paying extra to access it

like these games with season passes.... those map packs n shyt are all on the disc

huh? not all games do this shyt

i think people remember capcom doing it but honestly most companies don't because making people download shyt is FAR safer for them and prevents them from releasing broken as fukk games

often times, the game ships the most safe/stale version possible now. that's why people are often trying to figure out what the fukk is going on with the day 1 updates. its an asscovering

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
And gamers are willing to pay, that's why it's going to keep happening.

It's astouning how many times I've seen the argument of "well, games are getting more and more expensive" being used to justify shady practices and I'm just sitting over here like Big Worm:

vZgMow4i_o.jpg

Gamers truly don't recognize how much power they have as a consumer. They quite literally set the trends. If a certain business model is successful, it becomes the standard, if it doesn't, it's swept under the rug to make room for the newest plan. They complain about what's happening yet when it's all said and done, they'll buy whatever a publisher has to offer. On day one, no less.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
60 per game is actually not enough for triple AAA production titles nowadays unless it sells really well, which lets be honest only a 8 or so a year do.

sounds like a personal issue to the companies that make AAA titles :hubie:

That’s why you see developers trying to constantly turn anything that catches on into a franchise.

maybe if they focused on the game actually being good the hype would sell it self :hubie: especially now with platforms like Twitch , if a big streamer thinks the game is fun and enjoyable and has LASTING content (most AAA titles you play for a week or two and be done with it, and that is their actual failure. No longevity.) then people will buy it, in millions.

Good independent games get rewarded with sales. AAA titles arent selling because people have been seeing through the marketing and now can see the game before htye play it (via youtube or twitch) and the game play doesnt match the hype created by the companies.

I'm small understanding that this probably means we should expect the era of the $100 physical/$80 digital game.

The company that does this will receive even more backlash. Too many successful games out here $20-40 or even free to play (league of legends/DOTA 2) for someone to be that stupid to attempt that in 2017.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
60 per game is actually not enough for triple AAA production titles nowadays unless it sells really well, which lets be honest only a 8 or so a year do.

That’s why you see developers trying to constantly turn anything that catches on into a franchise.

Loot boxes, season passes and dlc are all free money towards a game development and growth as a franchise/IP

My mom bought Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis for $75. In 1993. Games were regularly priced between 49.99 and 64.99 dollars. In 1993. That's 25 years ago. Physical media (CDs, games, DVDs) are one of the few segments of consumer goods where the savings produced through innovation and efficiency are passed on to the consumer.

The fact that you can pick up GTA 5 at the same cost you could Super Mario World is a blessing.

Game companies know these price point are a psychological line. If the games increase in price then so too will the consoles. People aren't ready to pay more than 399-499 for a console. People aren't ready for $125 games.

DLC and microtransactions come into play because these are "optional." If you don't want it, don't buy it is their logic. It also extends the life of the game. This can offset rising development costs. If you limit DLC and microtransactions the publishers are going to test that line eventually. Right now a portion of the gaming community chooses to subsidize costs. If DLC and microtransactions are jettisoned everyone is going to pay the price.

Full disclosure, I hate day one DLC, nickle and dime scumbaggery and selling you piece by piece what should have been a whole game at launch. It sucks. But I get why they do it. They see it as a compromise.