Belgium and Hawaii declare loot boxes as gambling UPDATE: More States Join In

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
I'm as excited as y'all are to hope for a possibility of no loot boxes in future games...

BUT...

I'm small understanding that this probably means we should expect the era of the $100 physical/$80 digital game.

I'm okay with that.

Are y'all?

i'm ok with paying $80 for a video game but a $100 :whoa:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
You can provide proof and it's still not enough evidence for some folks :deadmanny:

its not real proof.. that might of been a holiday add... The most expensive game I ever bought in the 90s was $75 was hexen everything else was $50-60 still

plus was deals all over then plus the economy was healthier then

plus hollywood video and blockbuster existed back then so renting games was huge

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
its not real proof.. that might of been a holiday add... The most expensive game I ever bought in the 90s was $75 was hexen everything else was $50-60 still

plus was deals all over then plus the economy was healthier then

plus hollywood video and blockbuster existed back then so renting games was huge

I ain't complaining about the stagnation of these game prices. If only rent and car notes were on the 1993 level :ohlawd:

But you have to think about the fact that when adjusted for inflation games are cheaper than they were 25 years ago but with literally a thousand times the content. I have the entire video game libraries for NES, SNES, MASTER SYSTEM, GENESIS, SEGA CD, N64, plus others that I'm forgetting, on my computer and it takes up about 5 gigs of space. ONE modern AAA title can be tens times the size the library of a 90s console. :wow: And we're getting it all for $60. When they used to charge 65 to 70 for AAA titles 25 years ago? You don't think these companies realize this? We're eating good in this stalemate.

On one side you have gaming companies afraid to cross that $60 line so they throw in schemes like micro-transactions, pay to win features, DLC and lootboxes to offset the loss profit by keeping the price point at early 90s levels. We gamers hate this shyt but we grudgingly accept it because gaming is "cheap" compared to what it could be. But if it gets to a point where these companies are forced (because it won't stop otherwise) to remove most micro-transactions, lootboxes and other bullshyt they are going to come over the top of the trench and challenge that $60 line.

Are people willing to accept a $100 price point for games? No. Will they purchase them anyway? Yes. Just like with cable it's going to be gradual. We didn't go from $50-$65 cable to $250-$300 cable overnight. One day you're going to be picking up a game for $109.99 and remember that 25 year period where you could purchase the same game for half the price.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
But you have to think about the fact that when adjusted for inflation games are cheaper than they were 25 years ago but with literally a thousand times the content. I have the entire video game libraries for NES, SNES, MASTER SYSTEM, GENESIS, SEGA CD, N64, plus others that I'm forgetting, on my computer and it takes up about 5 gigs of space.

that has nothing to do with content... that has to do with graphics(16, 32, 64 bit to 3D, MSAA, etc.) and also bloated compression. Example Call of Duty is a 50 GB game, so is World of Warcraft, are you insuitating that Call of Duty has as much content as a 13 year old MMORPG ?

Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina Of Time had more content than 99.99% of games today but they might be like 100 mb ? Its just the dev kits used back then (to fit on cartridges). Its not just that, media as a whole.. Remember we went from floppy disks to 700 MB cds to now 7 GB blu rays..

We're eating good in this stalemate.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. We played games in the 90s for years (WWF games, 007, mario kart, etc.) what games have you played more than a month this year ?

On one side you have gaming companies afraid to cross that $60 line so they throw in schemes like micro-transactions, pay to win features, DLC and lootboxes to offset the loss profit by keeping the price point at early 90s levels. We gamers hate this shyt but we grudgingly accept it because gaming is "cheap" compared to what it could be.

we dont accept it though. Free to Play games dominate the market, AAA titles sales down when counting for inflation. The best selling game this year, by a large margin, is Players Unknown Battleground a $29.99 game by an independent company. Last years best selling game was also $39.99 on PC and has loot boxes but its 100% cosmetic. General public doesnt fukk with pay to win or loot boxes that contain anything but cosmetic. The proof is already there.

Are people willing to accept a $100 price point for games? No. Will they purchase them anyway? Yes.

Sales are dipping for most AAA companies at $60 price point and down to $40 within a month during a flash sale. you think people are gonna spend an extra $40? you must be looking at different data than us..

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
that has nothing to do with content... that has to do with graphics(16, 32, 64 bit to 3D, MSAA, etc.) and also bloated compression. Example Call of Duty is a 50 GB game, so is World of Warcraft, are you insuitating that Call of Duty has as much content as a 13 year old MMORPG ?

Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina Of Time had more content than 99.99% of games today but they might be like 100 mb ? Its just the dev kits used back then (to fit on cartridges). Its not just that, media as a whole.. Remember we went from floppy disks to 700 MB cds to now 7 GB blu rays..

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. We played games in the 90s for years (WWF games, 007, mario kart, etc.) what games have you played more than a month this year ?

we dont accept it though. Free to Play games dominate the market, AAA titles sales down when counting for inflation. The best selling game this year, by a large margin, is Players Unknown Battleground a $29.99 game by an independent company. Last years best selling game was also $39.99 on PC and has loot boxes but its 100% cosmetic. General public doesnt fukk with pay to win or loot boxes that contain anything but cosmetic. The proof is already there.

Sales are dipping for most AAA companies at $60 price point and down to $40 within a month during a flash sale. you think people are gonna spend an extra $40? you must be looking at different data than us..

Hmm, you may be right. But something has to give. I don't foresee them walking back the microtransaction/lootbox model and keeping the $60 price point. If GTA 5, CoD or Madden can successfully break the $60 barrier other companies will challenge it as well. It's going to look more like the 90s where the top titles commanded higher prices above the common 49 54 59 price points. I also believe if modding blew up on consoles that would be a catalyst for an increase in price. We'll see.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
Hmm, you may be right. But something has to give. I don't foresee them walking back the microtransaction/lootbox model and keeping the $60 price point. If GTA 5, CoD or Madden can successfully break the $60 barrier other companies will challenge it as well. It's going to look more like the 90s where the top titles commanded higher prices above the common 49 54 59 price points. I also believe if modding blew up on consoles that would be a catalyst for an increase in price. We'll see.

Not going to happen, as I said before no one will buy games at higher price points and especially for multiplat annual releases such as COD and Madden. We have much cheaper and content heavy games for less...

Kills this notion we will be getting $80-$100 games...only reason devs can get away with them now is because they package extra DLC and passes in deluxe editions which will always take a back seat to the standard $60 edition.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Not going to happen, as I said before no one will buy games at higher price points and especially for multiplat annual releases such as COD and Madden. We have much cheaper and content heavy games for less...

Kills this notion we will be getting $80-$100 games...only reason devs can get away with them now is because they package extra DLC and passes in deluxe editions which will always take a back seat to the standard $60 edition.

And if that environment changes?

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
And if that environment changes?

How would it change? we have free games every month from subscribing to certain services and flash sales every other week, indie devs making better games daily for cheap. How exactly are you going to convince people to spend more in a market thats saturated with cheaper content? This whole debacle has been about micro-transactions...they're popular because it's easier to convince someone to spend $5 on in-game items than just simply increasing the price of the games retail price. If anything games will get cheaper in-order to push micro-transactions even further

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
How would it change? we have free games every month from subscribing to certain services and flash sales every other week, indie devs making better games daily for cheap. How exactly are you going to convince people to spend more in a market thats saturated with cheaper content? This whole debacle has been about micro-transactions...they're popular because it's easier to convince someone to spend $5 on in-game items than just simply increasing the price of the games retail price. If anything games will get cheaper in-order to push micro-transactions even further

So you don't see an end to the $60 price point?

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
EA has been doing this type of stuff in FIFA and other sports games for years. People, lot of them children, buy "packs" that contain random players you can use in your squad in the most popular game modes. Even worse the players have contracts and fitness cards, consumables you need to use on the players to be able to keep playing with them.

Dylan-Confused-About-Sugar-Cookies-On-The-Chappelle-Show.gif

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I have no idea why people are locking in on the idea that units would've move up from the standard 60. It makes no sense. You guys realize that if loot boxes or dlc packages in general went away entirely in exchange for 20-40 price hike, publishers would still be taking a massive loss right along with the average consumer.

Going back to ME3, the game that started all this, the biggest loot box purchasers spent hundreds of dollars happily - and the average consumer who didn't spend a dime got to eat off free content drops and updates for years after the game's single player support died. It's the people who give no fukks and spend that essentially throw profits to the ceiling as well as make long term commitment to a game possible.

Like anything else, when there's no balance, someone's gonna suffer. So props to EA for fukking with consumers, Disney's empire, and the government's necessity to be on top of anything even resembling gambling.

Cheech&Chong

rip chinx
Daps
Reppin
I only buy 3/4 games a year so when I pay 60$ for a game I want everything in the game. I dont want some 12 year old to have a better version of my game cuz mommy entered her credit card number into timmys xbox