Belgium and Hawaii declare loot boxes as gambling UPDATE: More States Join In

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
AAA gaming is going to suffer but maybe that's a good thing?

I miss those lower tier games that weren't bargain bin status but just a cut below AAA.... Seems like it basically died this generation... Those games, while a bit janky, were more creative and interesting than most AAA collectathons

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Sadly, they'll probably only get rid of the randomization and still keep lootboxes in game. It'll allow them to get around the "gambling" legalities. Smh.

peppe

Superstar
Daps
i'm from belgium and didn't even hear about this, color me surprised :ohhh:

but yeah fukk EA for trying to squize every $$$$ out of its consumer

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
:snoop: I just realized why loot boxes will never be counted as gambling; there is no exchange of money

Yes, you're money is used with chance to get something, but, that's more of a raffle

I'm sure there's legal language that says lootboxes and ingame currency isn't convertible to real world money

Count this as a lost

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
What’s the difference between loot boxes & buying a pack of baseball cards or Magic & Pokemon cards?

You're guaranteed to get Pokemon cards or baseball cards. You know what is in them at the minimum. Loot boxes are total mystery boxes. There's no asserting what is inside majority of the time.

With baseball/PKMN cards, you can get rid of dupes for whatever you can get for them. Cannot do the same with majority of loot boxes in the industry.

TGC's are already subjected to gambling rules in some countries.

Team Fortress 2 was the initial pioneer and hilariously does it the best despite there being years since then. You can ignore the Crates all together, as the player receives times drops for all items in the game. Crates are explicitly labeled, and are explicit about what is inside of them. Rarity levels are also labeled for items in the box. You can sell off unboxed items for Steambux, can handle dupes with sales or re-crafting them, or even trade them to other people.

EDIT: This also isn't taking into account tied progression or completion content, which is scummy and should be outlawed.