Bayonetta Voice Actor Hellena Taylor Says She Didn't Reprise the Role in Bayonetta 3 as She Was Only Offered $4,000, Demands Fans Boycott

IslandG

All Star
Daps
If I'm not boycotting Bayonetta because some child is getting paid a less than a dollar a day to go into toxic conditions to mine cobalt in The Congo that goes into the electronics of a Nintendo Switch, I'm not boycotting Bayonetta because some white woman in a first world country is upset because she was only offered $4000 to do voice acting.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Voice actors have always gotten the short end of the stick. It’s why Frank Welker is the voice of everyone’s childhood. Look up his IMDB. Dude worked nonstop on projects. There was no big payday. It’s only now that voice actors are getting recognition, but I still don’t think there’s any acting unions for them.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Voice actors have always gotten the short end of the stick. It’s why Frank Welker is the voice of everyone’s childhood. Look up his IMDB. Dude worked nonstop on projects. There was no big payday. It’s only now that voice actors are getting recognition, but I still don’t think there’s any acting unions for them.

VAs fall under SAG-AFTRA but videogames is a non-unionized industry, the industry just barely got its first video-game union ever (Vodeo Workers United) this year. It's a very anti-worker industry with little protection for pushback against shytty work conditions and shytty compensation for collaborating artists. It's the same industry where they regularly poach Black TikTok for emote/dance content that they literally sell back to the dancers' fanbases without paying the dancers a red cent. The only artists who regularly get any real compensation out of video games is recording artists via sync licensing.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
I do wish Voice Actors got paid more for their work, as they often make a character. Like Goku, Mario, etc. all have distinct voices in my head, thanks to the hard work they put in to give emotional performances. The unfortunate part is that with the technological advances we're seeing today, I don't think it'll be long before VAs start to get replaced by AI.

I've heard some almost scary text-to-speech technology lately. Outside of a few words, it's gone way beyond the robotic stall speech it used to be. It's a cruel world for VAs, and unfortunately it might not get any easier.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

One day these public figures gonna figure out no matter your beliefs you maintain a neutral front. She just blew up her own shyt and made Platinum and Nintendo look good for getting her out of there.

Social media should be deleted or scrubbed and be for professional use only. It's 2022 almost 2023 and people still haven't figured out the golden rules of never voice any political opinions on social media and don't take any naked pictures of yourself with your cell phone.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
On her end she gambled and lost. Once they switch from a VA they ain't going back and this was her only role. She probably should have taken the role for what they offered.
Big time. I'm reading $4000 was actually the 2nd offer given and Kamiya had to fight for that after both Nintendo and her union set that as the cap.

4k is about all she's worth with a resume like that :huhldup:

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm

@jasonschreier
Last weekend, Bayonetta's former voice actor called for fans to boycott the new game, saying she was offered just $4,000 to work on it. Her Twitter videos went viral and stoked a debate over voice actor wages. But the full story is much more complicated...

Platinum offered Hellena Taylor between $3k and $4k per session for at least 5 sessions, according to two people familiar with the deal and documentation viewed by Bloomberg. In response, the people said, Taylor asked for a six-figure fee and residuals. Negotiations fell apart

Taylor denies this account. In an email to Bloomberg, she called that version of events an "absolute lie" and said that Platinum is “trying to save their ass and the game.”
2:31 PM · Oct 18, 2022