Bayonetta Voice Actor Hellena Taylor Says She Didn't Reprise the Role in Bayonetta 3 as She Was Only Offered $4,000, Demands Fans Boycott

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
Something isn’t adding up if she got offered below 4000 at first and then after appealing to Kamiya got bumped to 4. I think they had plans for her to voice a limited part of the game which would make the original offer reasonable. She’s in the same union as all the other actors involved. Union would have been on their ass if they tried that. On top of that productions tend to be specifically non-union or union (Nintendo been going non-union lately). If they had some kind of plan to spread the voice work around for the whole multiverse thing they should be able to do that. Even outside of that, they should be able to go with someone else if they felt like it.

People finding out she wasn’t doing the voice was a non-story to people not following the game but this is somehow? People see that 4k and think these people are supposed to be getting paid like movie stars. People doing TV ads get paid more. It’s not the same game

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
$4k seems low as hell for that project but in this life you get what you negotiate, not what you deserve. Good for her for respecting the perception of her value. A bit naive of her for everyone else to take a stand with her though. I’m not sure how many people care about the voice actress in this game enough to boycott it over this. The game is dope, but I’ve never bragged about it story or actors.
I was more pissed about David Hayter getting the snub for Sutherland but I still copped ground zeroes and phantom pain none the less. I’m just not in the fan base that would take that much offense to it. I get it. I respect it. But it’s not my fight.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
nikka’s bought God of War 2018 after TC got replaced and they can’t wait to play Ragnarok.:coffee:

They said he was too small to fit the motion capture acting. He was damn near Atreus size :mjlol: love TC but they made the right choice in replacing him. Marks a clear difference between young, wrathful, proud Kratos (who has a slimmer build) to thoughtful, brolic old man Kratos

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
She didn't have much dialogue in the game as it is. Probably did her part in a day. This woman is insane.

Wink Beaufield

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Southeast DC
You think video game VA's get raw deals? Anime VA's get screwed pretty bad too.

A lot of them get their real cake from hitting the anime convention circuit.

peppe

Superstar
Daps
You think video game VA's get raw deals? Anime VA's get screwed pretty bad too.

A lot of them get their real cake from hitting the anime convention circuit.
Then that applies to only us anime VA because in japan VA are the almost the highest paid one on the project.

Thats why they have schools and stuff because its a cut throat business but the ones voicing these big animes are millionairs and have celeb status in japan

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Sucks for her. Taylor will always be Bayonetta however 4k is shyt money.
No she wont, that bytch will NEVER be Bayonetta again
Bayonetta 3 gonna be so huge that it will turn into a MGS type franchise in terms of popularity and in Bey 4 return of Bey Bey she would have made 400k
Now she's working part time at Hardee's even tho its called Carl's Jr where she lives :francis:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
No she wont, that bytch will NEVER be Bayonetta again
Bayonetta 3 gonna be so huge that it will turn into a MGS type franchise in terms of popularity and in Bey 4 return of Bey Bey she would have made 400k
Now she's working part time at Hardee's even tho its called Carl's Jr where she lives :francis:

That's not how it works. SAG-AFTRA has a pay-scale for union jobs based on the budget of the project, anything beyond that is directly based on negotiations between the talent's agent and the studio. Most of the time a new IP auditions/hires talent, they use a casting agency with standardized union rates being offered on a per-project basis with no contractual guarantee for future work. If the IP is successful and leads to a sequel, the studios often renegotiate with lead talent to sign them on to reprise their roles at a multi-project rate, or with certain incentives (i.e. points on the backend). If she's the face of the game, you definitely would've expected the studio to make her a competitive offer... $4,000 for the star of your 450 million dollar franchise is an extreme lowball, regardless if the labor involved adds up to that in regular union rates. Even then, the rate itself wouldn't be the end of the world if other compensation (i.e. percentage of merch, percentage of game profit, etc.) was on the table.

Like someone else said, the company intentionally lowballed her to force her to refuse.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
That's not how it works. SAG-AFTRA has a pay-scale for union jobs based on the budget of the project, anything beyond that is directly based on negotiations between the talent's agent and the studio. Most of the time a new IP auditions/hires talent, they use a casting agency with standardized union rates being offered on a per-project basis with no contractual guarantee for future work. If the IP is successful and leads to a sequel, the studios often renegotiate with lead talent to sign them on to reprise their roles at a multi-project rate, or with certain incentives (i.e. points on the backend). If she's the face of the game, you definitely would've expected the studio to make her a competitive offer... $4,000 for the star of your 450 million dollar franchise is an extreme lowball, regardless if the labor involved adds up to that in regular union rates. Even then, the rate itself wouldn't be the end of the world if other compensation (i.e. percentage of merch, percentage of game profit, etc.) was on the table.

Like someone else said, the company intentionally lowballed her to force her to refuse.
She didn't have that many lines supposedly. And what if a game has a bunch of characters?
All I know is she mad and is going full Monique, salty as fukk. But if they really did her dirty then the entire industry will take notice of it
I don't believe its that, but I get how the masses will jump to conclusions :manny:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

i still feel that if they made her re-audition, its likely something else was up from the start

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
i still feel that if they made her re-audition, its likely something else was up from the start

It looks like in general, voice actors in video games are not entitled profit sharing nor residuals unless it's in their specific contract with the video game studio. This is very different from the way it works in, say, broadcast (radio/TV)... For example, if you're a union voice actor on a nationally syndicated commercial, you're getting paid residuals based on the number of lines you have for every instance the commercial is screened/aired. The PRO collects your royalties if its radio and SAG collects "usage fees" if its TV.

Found this article about the topic as it concerns video game voice actors:

800 a day as union-standard pay for one-off contracts is one thing, but 4,000 (the equivalent of a regular week's pay) for the star of a hit franchise is crazy. Even worse, video games typically run ad campaigns online instead of on TV, and there's very little in place to collect residuals from youtube ads and etc. For a game that big though they're definitely gonna run some TV ads, so she likely would've stood to make about the same as her rate off of her TV residuals
:mjlol:

Cold shyt... the VG industry is getting away with highway robbery on not standardizing royalties considering that they're literally the biggest, most profitable sector of the entertainment industry at this point. Youtube Ads alone should be effectively quadrupling lead voice actors' rates on mega franchise titles, especially because youtube videogame ads rely heavily upon in-game dialogue and sometimes even ad-specific voiceovers.

Last edited: