Bayonetta Voice Actor Hellena Taylor Says She Didn't Reprise the Role in Bayonetta 3 as She Was Only Offered $4,000, Demands Fans Boycott

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Cool, that doesn't mean they buy or don't buy a game because of a voice actor.
You think in this sensitive outrage era we live in it doesn’t? Especially a woman getting that kind of treatment? The real question is how many nerds and geeks buy this vs casual buyers?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They said he was too small to fit the motion capture acting. He was damn near Atreus size :mjlol: love TC but they made the right choice in replacing him. Marks a clear difference between young, wrathful, proud Kratos (who has a slimmer build) to thoughtful, brolic old man Kratos
It was God of War. They could replace whoever and people would buy. This s Bayonetta a franchise Nintendo pulled out of the scrap heap while Sony and Microsoft didn’t really seem to make a hard move for after the first game.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
It looks like in general, voice actors in video games are not entitled profit sharing nor residuals unless it's in their specific contract with the video game studio. This is very different from the way it works in, say, broadcast (radio/TV)... For example, if you're a union voice actor on a nationally syndicated commercial, you're getting paid residuals based on the number of lines you have for every instance the commercial is screened/aired. The PRO collects your royalties if its radio and SAG collects "usage fees" if its TV.

Found this article about the topic as it concerns video game voice actors:

800 a day as union-standard pay for one-off contracts is one thing, but 4,000 (the equivalent of a regular week's pay) for the star of a hit franchise is crazy. Even worse, video games typically run ad campaigns online instead of on TV, and there's very little in place to collect residuals from youtube ads and etc. For a game that big though they're definitely gonna run some TV ads, so she likely would've stood to make about the same as her rate off of her TV residuals
:mjlol:

Cold shyt... the VG industry is getting away with highway robbery on not standardizing royalties considering that they're literally the biggest, most profitable sector of the entertainment industry at this point. Youtube Ads alone should be effectively quadrupling lead voice actors' rates on mega franchise titles, especially because youtube videogame ads rely heavily upon in-game dialogue and sometimes even ad-specific voiceovers.
i think the internet is kinda creating narratives that don't really exist here a bit too though because before this weekend, I don't recall a single person acting like Bayonetta's VA was iconic or anything close. shyt, bayonetta was left for dead for a looooong time too so the franchise getting welcome back parades before release is pretty premature imo

it doesn't make sense to standardize royalties either considering the scope and development and post-launch support differ even internally at most companies

im typically pro-worker and pro-union as fukk but like... i don't think many actually listened to what she said. she was asking people to boycott all future releases as well. it was definitely some personal shyt to this.
You think in this sensitive outrage era we live in it doesn’t? Especially a woman getting that kind of treatment? The real question is how many nerds and geeks buy this vs casual buyers?
did overwatch 2 get boycotted like people assumed it would months ago due to blizzard and activision's in house stuff?

the people who closely follow gaming and the people that simply buy are a lot further apart than the internet noise would indicate

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i think the internet is kinda creating narratives that don't really exist here a bit too though because before this weekend, I don't recall a single person acting like Bayonetta's VA was iconic or anything close. shyt, bayonetta was left for dead for a looooong time too so the franchise getting welcome back parades before release is pretty premature imo

it doesn't make sense to standardize royalties either considering the scope and development and post-launch support differ even internally at most companies

im typically pro-worker and pro-union as fukk but like... i don't think many actually listened to what she said. she was asking people to boycott all future releases as well. it was definitely some personal shyt to this.

did overwatch 2 get boycotted like people assumed it would months ago due to blizzard and activision's in house stuff?

the people who closely follow gaming and the people that simply buy are a lot further apart than the internet noise would indicate
Bayonetta sells like a few hundred thousand copies since it went Nintendo only. Overwatch is one of the most popular shooters in gaming. When you have a smaller fanbase and a good portion of them are oversensitivity nerd and geeks change cold be disastrous.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps

Right but that's why different budget tiers in union contracts exist. AAA franchises have huge operating budgets in development, production and post, there's no reason why the voice & likeness of the main character on an AAA franchise shouldn't be paid bonuses, royalties, etc. for succeeding titles that are directly built upon the work they did in the first hit. Yes it's a campy action game, that doesn't mean that the VA wasn't a big part of the draw that made the campiness actually work. Character work in AAA games is more important than it's ever been, yet the market value of VAs is not in proportion to the actual dollar value they accrue the games.

For AA and indie titles I would tend to agree that profit sharing and royalties is a murkier subject, but the fact that at the top of the industry it's not standard is troubling when it's the fastest growing (and already largest) entertainment industry. In some ways it creates "equal opportunity" for VAs across the industry to work on bigger titles but it also stagnates rates.

In her specific case I agree with you that there appears to be some bad blood between her and the company, but I'm mainly stating that their offer is laughably out of proportion with the actual value of her work.

Last edited:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
No one is buying a game (specially this style) becuase x voice actor is in, 99% of the buyers don't know the names of these MFs, it sucks that they don't get paid more but thats their and their union business, I'm not gonna stop buying a game becasue a bytch got 4000 for a couple of hours of reading corny ass lines.

you underestimate nerds.

when/if mario's game VA gets replaced since Charles M. is getting old...they'll be a shyt storm coming for nintendo, and Mario barely says shyt.

Pratt's getting shyt from people (myself included) for being the voice of mario for the flick.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Look at all the Ubusoft bullshyt and how excited people got for the new AC, the activision/Blizzard fukkery and the success of OW, twitter drama queens are hypocrites, especially gamers, they know who make their consoles and don't give two shyts.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
you underestimate nerds.

when/if mario's game VA gets replaced since Charles M. is getting old...they'll be a shyt storm coming for nintendo, and Mario barely says shyt.

Pratt's getting shyt from people (myself included) for being the voice of mario for the flick.
And yet Mario will still sell millions and the movie will still be a success.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Look at all the Ubusoft bullshyt and how excited people got for the new AC, the activision/Blizzard fukkery and the success of OW, twitter drama queens are hypocrites, especially gamers, they know who make their consoles and don't give two shyts.

Activision Blizzard are supposed to be public enemy number 1 in the gaming community yet OW2 has 25 million players and counting.:skip:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Activision Blizzard are supposed to be public enemy number 1 in the gaming community yet OW2 has 25 million players and counting.:skip:

You are talking about series on the scale of multi-millions of customers. If 30-100K customers sit out the next Assassins Creed game or Overwatch game nobody would notice. If that many people sit out Bayonetta that's between 5% and 30% percent of the last game's sales.

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
While it's not always fair that company treat vocal talent , if Hellena had said yes to the contract she could have the convention appearance and cameo app appearance with more ease as a new game is coming out, and made additional income;

The girl that plays Aerith has a twitch channel and makes lots of money off that. now it seems that she's just struggling financially, and this is something that's kind of pushed Hellena Taylor over the edge, but it's those secondary income streams for smaller performers that make a living income..

also they are doing a devil may cry thing with a second playable witch , so she might been in the studio for just a few days

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Hideki is one of the funniest mother fukker on the net. this dude isn't losing this fight it seems but insists on being a jackass about the whole thing. Nintendo probably gonna try to take Bayo completely and give it to another dev (if possible) or just stick with Astral Chain going forward.