Barbie Live Action Movie Thread for HUNKS and HOTTIES - 8 Oscar noms

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
IMG-0865.webp
Me pulling up to see Barbie a second time with a new bytch
Margot finally broke her flop streak. White women be given too many chances :dead:

She’ll get better roles now :wow:

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
This wasn’t really a movie for kids, though…

And I think that’s part of the point. Barbie was created so little girls wouldn’t just being playing with baby dolls, dreaming of nothing but having babies. Women felt limited.
Someone created a doll that was a teen/young adult who was young, beautiful, and could be anything she wanted.

Yes, the doll encouraged unrealistic beauty standards, but that wasn’t the intent.

The woman created a cute toy because she was tired of seeing her daughter play with baby dolls, and her invention took on a life of its own 🤷🏾‍♀️

And having an all male board in the movie just highlights one of the issues they wanted to address. A toy geared toward girls that is controlled/marketed by men.
Because men run society- even things that are meant for women/girls.

The world isn’t perfect but as much harm as Barbie may have harmed, she also helped. A toy, or the spirit or message behind the toy isn’t going to do it all, but it can help in its own way.

And Barbieland is filled with hot people because it isn’t real. But even those hot people experienced an existential crisis when their vapid world didn’t seem fulfilling (compared to the real world)

A ★★★½ review of Barbie by Sydney🚀 on Letterboxd A ★★★½ review of Barbie (2023)

ya being a barbie is a living contradiction just like being a woman etc etc. that is the obvious message of the movie. but the movie is so childish and limited in what its trying to say. its not Hidden Figures or Joan of Arc, its just a silly little movie with some good performances & music and some jokes. she tried to make it more than that but clearly its not possible as it was funded by Mattel and its about a toy, thats what im saying.
That’s clear. But who expected a BARBIE movie to be Hidden Figures or Joan of Arc?

She achieved the goal given the frame she was working within.

It’s a take on women’s experiences through the lens of a plastic toy.

A plastic toy that every little girl plays with and tries to emulate before hitting the real world.

It’s bright, and pink, and shiny and fun! And hey, by the way ladies- even if people try to gaslight you, all the weird shyt you experience in this life is real and valid and can suck sometimes, but we’re all going through it and you have to do your part to help make it a little better for the girls coming behind you.

That’s it. That’s all. And that’s enough to make it enjoyable and real for the young women who need the message before entering the real world and the older women who need the reminder. Not to mention the men who were dragged to see it who never really had to think about these things. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
I feel the Flash would have done better out of the gate if they didn't do so many preview screenings. If all your fans see the movie weeks before everyone else who drives people to the cinema. For that first all important opening weekend.

In the end The flash will be one of those movies that people who see it on streaming will say it's a fun movie.

Barbie this weekend was interesting with that wear pink to the cinema thing that started up. I went to a sold out screening last night and nearly everybody male and female was wearing something pink. They held that movie close to the chest so spoilers didn't leak and ruin its opening weekend. And it made people want to join and and not miss things.
I felt a little bad because the theater lobby was literally filled with people wearing pink. I cracked a joke and said “well we can all see who is here to see what movie”, and we were behind this kinda overweight white couple rocking flannel or something. The guy kinda turned his head when I said it and then I was like “omg he must think I was referring to them 😣

I was just cracking a joke because we and a bunch of other ppl were in pink, so it was clear everyone was there for Barbie. But I suspect he thought I was insinuating something about him and his lady. :(