Barbie Live Action Movie Thread for HUNKS and HOTTIES - 8 Oscar noms

rabbid

Superstar
Daps

She really captured the existential dilemma many (young) women experience.
America Ferrera’s revelation was absolute perfection and definitely brought it home for those who didn’t “get it”.
Who watched the movie and didn't get it though? The people you're describing don't exist, or aren't planning on watching this movie.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Who watched the movie and didn't get it though? The people you're describing don't exist, or aren't planning on watching this movie.
Pardon- those who didn’t “get it” up to that point in the film

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Pardon- those who didn’t “get it” up to that point in the film
thats fair, but i feel like we all got it. who was watching barbie that didnt understand feminism? the movie was made for the america ferrera types in the audience.

imo it would've been better served being a fully adult take. im not sure what kids would even enjoy this. should've just made the whole movie full of scenes like her talking to that old lady and wanting to be a real woman. but they had to sell toys. the movie is really just caught up in being something it cant be. you can't be a feminist icon when mattel has an all male executive team. you got all these baddies and hunks and then speaking on how its ok to be ordinary. shyt had me rolling my eyes but it was cute tho. maybe thats the real point of the movie.

Daps
thats fair, but i feel like we all got it. who was watching barbie that didnt understand feminism? the movie was made for the america ferrera types in the audience.

imo it would've been better served being a fully adult take. im not sure what kids would even enjoy this. should've just made the whole movie full of scenes like her talking to that old lady and wanting to be a real woman. but they had to sell toys. the movie is really just caught up in being something it cant be. you can't be a feminist icon when mattel has an all male executive team. you got all these baddies and hunks and then speaking on how its ok to be ordinary. shyt had me rolling my eyes but it was cute tho. maybe thats the real point of the movie.
It’s a child’s toy, so people were going to assume it’s a children’s movie. It has an empowering message for girls, which is fine, but they could have made it full circle with some female executives running Mattel. But I get it. Barbie is perfect because that’s what men want women to be. Don’t think, just be pretty.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps

This wasn’t really a movie for kids, though…

And I think that’s part of the point. Barbie was created so little girls wouldn’t just being playing with baby dolls, dreaming of nothing but having babies. Women felt limited.
Someone created a doll that was a teen/young adult who was young, beautiful, and could be anything she wanted.

Yes, the doll encouraged unrealistic beauty standards, but that wasn’t the intent.

The woman created a cute toy because she was tired of seeing her daughter play with baby dolls, and her invention took on a life of its own 🤷🏾‍♀️

And having an all male board in the movie just highlights one of the issues they wanted to address. A toy geared toward girls that is controlled/marketed by men.
Because men run society- even things that are meant for women/girls.

The world isn’t perfect but as much harm as Barbie may have harmed, she also helped. A toy, or the spirit or message behind the toy isn’t going to do it all, but it can help in its own way.

And Barbieland is filled with hot people because it isn’t real. But even those hot people experienced an existential crisis when their vapid world didn’t seem fulfilling (compared to the real world)

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
1002799976-photo-u-1795656595
:picard:

FishNGrits

Superstar
Daps
This wasn’t really a movie for kids, though…

And I think that’s part of the point. Barbie was created so little girls wouldn’t just being playing with baby dolls, dreaming of nothing but having babies. Women felt limited.
Someone created a doll that was a teen/young adult who was young, beautiful, and could be anything she wanted.

Yes, the doll encouraged unrealistic beauty standards, but that wasn’t the intent.

The woman created a cute toy because she was tired of seeing her daughter play with baby dolls, and her invention took on a life of its own 🤷🏾‍♀️

And having an all male board in the movie just highlights one of the issues they wanted to address. A toy geared toward girls that is controlled/marketed by men.
Because men run society- even things that are meant for women/girls.

The world isn’t perfect but as much harm as Barbie may have harmed, she also helped. A toy, or the spirit or message behind the toy isn’t going to do it all, but it can help in its own way.

And Barbieland is filled with hot people because it isn’t real. But even those hot people experienced an existential crisis when their vapid world didn’t seem fulfilling (compared to the real world)
They were sons to mothers, and nephews to aunts, and they love women so it’s not an issue