Barbie Live Action Movie Thread for HUNKS and HOTTIES - 8 Oscar noms

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
Who would have thought a Barbie movie would out-perform a movie that had the return of Michael Keaton's Batman after a 30 year absence.

Ezra Miller was an anchor that dragged the film to the bottom of the ocean. Also Keaton not playing Batman for 30 years lead to people no longer caring. Had they used Ben Affleck as the main Batman though it would have worked. And they should have tossed Supergirl and brought in Cavill as Superman.

But this and Oppenheimer's success in contrast to so many CBM cratering seems to indicate that most comic book movies have become stagnant, aimless, and irrelevant.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
A ★★★½ review of Barbie by Sydney🚀 on Letterboxd A ★★★½ review of Barbie (2023)
This wasn’t really a movie for kids, though…

And I think that’s part of the point. Barbie was created so little girls wouldn’t just being playing with baby dolls, dreaming of nothing but having babies. Women felt limited.
Someone created a doll that was a teen/young adult who was young, beautiful, and could be anything she wanted.

Yes, the doll encouraged unrealistic beauty standards, but that wasn’t the intent.

The woman created a cute toy because she was tired of seeing her daughter play with baby dolls, and her invention took on a life of its own 🤷🏾‍♀️

And having an all male board in the movie just highlights one of the issues they wanted to address. A toy geared toward girls that is controlled/marketed by men.
Because men run society- even things that are meant for women/girls.

The world isn’t perfect but as much harm as Barbie may have harmed, she also helped. A toy, or the spirit or message behind the toy isn’t going to do it all, but it can help in its own way.

And Barbieland is filled with hot people because it isn’t real. But even those hot people experienced an existential crisis when their vapid world didn’t seem fulfilling (compared to the real world)
ya being a barbie is a living contradiction just like being a woman etc etc. that is the obvious message of the movie. but the movie is so childish and limited in what its trying to say. its not Hidden Figures or Joan of Arc, its just a silly little movie with some good performances & music and some jokes. she tried to make it more than that but clearly its not possible as it was funded by Mattel and its about a toy, thats what im saying.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
didnt think this movie was funny at all :yeshrug:

Very safe snl type humor you know mostly white women wrote. It wasn’t a bad movie but it feels like Mario all over again where a large part of the bandwagon behind it is tied to the overall branding and cultural capital it has.

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
Who would have thought a Barbie movie would out-perform a movie that had the return of Michael Keaton's Batman after a 30 year absence. Congrats to them I guess.

I still will never watch Barbie. Not in my personal interest. I'm looking forward to TMNT: Mutant Mayhem.

I feel the Flash would have done better out of the gate if they didn't do so many preview screenings. If all your fans see the movie weeks before everyone else who drives people to the cinema. For that first all important opening weekend.

In the end The flash will be one of those movies that people who see it on streaming will say it's a fun movie.

Barbie this weekend was interesting with that wear pink to the cinema thing that started up. I went to a sold out screening last night and nearly everybody male and female was wearing something pink. They held that movie close to the chest so spoilers didn't leak and ruin its opening weekend. And it made people want to join and and not miss things.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

giphy-gif-cid-ecf05e47cp3py3uqoq8xy9hae9wrb50o94v8e8y4ayv5sq3r-ep-v1-gifs-search-rid-giphy.gif

motionlessZombie

All Star
Daps
Ezra Miller was an anchor that dragged the film to the bottom of the ocean. Also Keaton not playing Batman for 30 years lead to people no longer caring. Had they used Ben Affleck as the main Batman though it would have worked. And they should have tossed Supergirl and brought in Cavill as Superman.

But this and Oppenheimer's success in contrast to so many CBM cratering seems to indicate that most comic book movies have become stagnant, aimless, and irrelevant.

Keaton was the main drawing power to the Flash. Nobody cared about the movie until it was announced that Keaton would be in it as Batman again. A lot of us 30 plus year olds grew up on Batman 89 and Returns. They even tried to throw the bag at Bale, but Bale is too loyal to Nolan. WB wanted that Spider Man: No Way Home money. I agree Ezra ruined the movie a lot.