Barbers are the New Scammers

ZEupTWN

Mid|Range|Game|
Daps
It seems like $40-50 is the average I see around my area if you use theCut to book. A lot of dudes also use Square, but prices are the same.

My wife works in the cosmetic industry, and she said $40 is a fair price, especially considering an increase in booth rent and products.

Plus, YouTube and "good" tutorials weren't freely available with tips on how to cut your own hair growing up. If you messed up your head, you either went baldy or paid some poor soul to salvage it. It's probably a lot more people going online and learning, which decreases the amount of heads barbers see too.

People in here talking about Dominicans charging for the low, that must be dependent on the location. The ones in my small city in MD increase their prices just like the bruhs.

Exactly brehs love to exaggerate frfr:pachaha: ...I live in a area with a lot of Dominicans and they price gouge and unprofessional(at least the young ones) as everybody else...

I still come across traditional barbershops that charge $35 and under…And a lot of them have a loyal following and consistent volume cause of the service and affordability…The African/Caribbean spot I go to is like that..They still charge 25$ for a straight up cut..But they stick to being a community staple type spot, they not really promoting and marketing online..

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
This shyt make me wanna go back to cutting.

shyt it is worth it now.
nikkaz getting charged movie star prices for a cut now.

Art Barr

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
Exactly brehs love to exaggerate frfr:pachaha: ...I live in a area with a lot of Dominicans and they price gouge and unprofessional(at least the young ones) as everybody else...

I still come across traditional barbershops that charge $35 and under…And a lot of them have a loyal following and consistent volume cause of the service and affordability…The African/Caribbean spot I go to is like that..They still charge 25$ for a straight up cut..But they stick to being a community staple type spot, they not really promoting and marketing online..
I moved to Tampa in ‘16. My cuts were by Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. They were nice and charged $15. I stopped getting cuts for a bit or just get cut on base when I was at work.

Moved to ATL in ‘20. Post COVID, I got it with the $35
:merchant:
Then the $40
:gucci:
Then the $45
:mjtf:
Those were my last three cuts. Never again. I get cut when I’m working and when I’m home, the Wifey cuts me up. Get married to save money on hair cuts Coli Brehs.
:youngsabo:
Join the military and serve a country that hates you for $8 hair cuts by Japanese Brehs who are clean with the clippers Brehs.
:obama:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

My experience with domincan barbershops is literally the exact same as black ones. only difference is the music they play and sometimes they be watching their kids while working

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Did your salary at a government job double after 2021? :sas1:
It didn’t double but I have had steady pay increases. I also get great benefits and have a bunch of paid time off. And this is something nobody in this thread is mentioning is how much it costs to be a barber

I saw somebody earlier say how a barber charging $50 a cut can bring in over $100k. That doesn’t account for the 1099 they gotta fill out during tax time. They gotta pay for their own health insurance. They gotta pay for their own supplies. And they get no paid time off. Also we already no rent costs have gone up a lot since 2021. So now they gotta pay extra for that chair they rent. The cost of all that shyt has gone up so of course the cost is gonna get passed to the consumer. After all that. That $100k is prolly closer to $60k.

Ain’t no use in complaining about it. Find a cheaper barbershop or cut your own hair.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
My barber is in his 60s and held the same $15 price forever until covid. After the quarantines he raised his price to $20 and nobody complained. I already know I'm gonna be fukked when he retires lol. Whenever he's on vacation and I gotta go to another shop it's a disaster...
:francis:

I downloaded an app for a black shop a few minutes from me, earlier this year when my barber was out of town. Prices were like $40 without tip, so $50+ total. This was the Friday/Saturday before Easter so I really had no choice...but the availability of the barbers was ridiculous. All their morning/afternoon slots were already booked, no walk ins, and I wasn't trying to be at a new shop at 10PM so I kept looking. Found an Arab spot with walk ins not far from my house. Walked in, saw a couple black people in there and said aite I'm good....and then they pushed my hairline back.
:dead:

Had me looking crazy at Easter dinner :mjlol:

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I REFUSE to tip a barber. It makes absolutely no sense to tip someone that sets the price of their service. They are literally asking you to pay them whatever amount and im supposed to give a nikka more than he asked for? I cant do it. My barber charges me $20 btw lol
Facts been stopped tipping them folks

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
too many tools and resources out here now that's dedicated to self barbering....
they got shaping tools for line-ups / fades, so you cant fukk up.
a multitude of affordable Wahl, Andi and Bevel clippers that give pristine close cuts without nicking you
youtube tutorials
etc

fukk letting these hack ass barbers gouge you for basic maintenance cuts and line-ups

jump on the DIY wave

Beauty supply sell capes, neck strips, alcohol, dusters, oil sheen, clippers, quality brushes.

if you lining up - tap and pull from your hair line, never Push and drag the blade back nd forth, that's how you push your shyt back.
also brush your hair after every pass you make with the clippers to get a true sense of how much hair is removed. dont make several passes because some of the cut hair will stick instead of fall off and decieve you into thinking your missed a spot causing you to remove more hair than intended.

if you're lowering hair, always start with the the highest guard and work your way down , if you got an adjustable blade, start with it all the way open/extended and adjust in small increments for the same reason as the guard

growing a beard with a decent foundation but got some small patchy spots, let the hair higher up on your face grow down over it and/or use those spray fibers for a slight fill in if neccessary, Personally i just kept my shyt moisturized and conditioned as it grew thicker and filled in. . soft bristle brush for thinner spots. medium to hard for thicker spots and a detangler brush for the longer beard hairs.

when I grew my beard out, 95% of the time I used nothing but a leave-in beard conditioner and a beard balm. light cream based products no grease and pomades, shyt clogs your pores, causes buildup and fukks u your shirt collar. Also, NEVER manipulate your hair and anyway without misting it down with water 1st if you want do reduce breakage and thus thinning of beard. Mist, wait about 45 secs to let the water penetrate the hair shaft, lightly dab off the excess water, add your moisturizer and then comb and brush

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And people will shame you if don't bend over & say ahhh for these swindlers.Some people have a strong affection for their barbers.I get it...But these are not the same folks we grew up with..or your grandad grew up with.This is a new corrupt breed.Self entitled, fake staple of the community, wanna be prestigious azz mthfkkaz:pacspit:....Props to the few reasonable ones out there, tho:birdman: