Baltimore man Freddie Gray dies after getiing neck broken while in police custody

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
The Justice Department has opened a federal investigation after a man died of spinal injuries he suffered after an arrest in Baltimore.

Spokeswoman Dena Iverson announced the investigation by the department's Civil Rights Division on Tuesday.

Investigationors will look for civil rights violations in the treatment of Freddie Gray, who wasarrested April 12 and placed in a transport van.

Iverson released a statement, saying: "The Department of Justice has been monitoring the developments in Baltimore, Maryland, regarding the death of Freddie Gray. Based on preliminary information, the Department of Justice has officially opened this matter and is gathering information to determine whether any prosecutable civil rights violation occurred."

Maryland members of Congress called on the Department of Justice to open a federal criminal and civil rights investigations into the death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore. Read the letter here

Dear Attorney General Holder:

We are deeply troubled by recent events in the City of Baltimore. As you know, Baltimore resident Freddie Gray, 25, died Sunday April 19, one week after he was injured while in Baltimore Police custody.

Freddie Gray’s family and the residents of the City of Baltimore deserve to know what happened to him while he was in police custody. We need answers.

While we support the efforts of the ongoing review into the policies and procedures of the Baltimore Police Department by the Community Oriented Policing Services Office, we request that the Department of Justice open a federal criminal and civil rights investigation into the death of Baltimore resident Freddie Gray.

While the vast majority of police officers act within the law to serve and protect their communities, incidents like this degrade the trust necessary to maintain the relationship between law enforcement and communities. We urge the Department of Justice to swiftly conduct all necessary investigations. We need the facts to restore the public confidence in the Baltimore Police Department.

Sincerely,

Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator

Benjamin L. Cardin
United States Senator

Elijah Cummings
Member of Congress

Dutch Ruppersberger
Member of Congress

John Sarbanes
Member of Congress

Gray was rushed to a hospital in critical condition about 30 minutes later and died Sunday of what police described as a significant spinal injury.

Baltimore police have said they're looking into why Gray was stopped and what led to his injury.

Video from the city's crime camera system from the morning of April 12 shows a man running down the street, which was the reason why police said officers pursued Gray.

According to the report, police wrote, "(Gray) fled unprovoked upon noticing police presence."

Police caught up to Gray, and even though he was compliant according to their description, police put him on the sidewalk, handcuffed him and searched him, finding a small knife that led to his arrest and his fatal trip in a police transport vehicle.

"They seem to admit the only basis for the stop was 'Man looked officer in the eye and started running,'" said Billy Murphy, an attorney representing the Gray family. "You know, a black man running is not probable cause. A black man running from the police and being scared of the police, that's not probable cause."

Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said Monday that the reason for chasing Gray is part of the investigation. Established case law allows police to use the mere act of running away as reason to stop someone if it's in a high-crime area, but handcuffing and searching Gray might have required additional probable cause.

Six police officers have been suspended in the investigation. They include newly promoted Sgt. Alicia White, 30, Officer William Porter, 25, Officer Garrett Miller, 26, Officer Edward Nero, 29, Officer Caesar Goodson, 45 and Lt. Brian Rice, 41. Miller is the officer whoa arrested Gray, Goodson was the driver of the police transport van and Rice was the supervisor on the day of Gray's arrest.

In federal civil rights cases, investigators look for evidence that an officer willfully violated a person's civil rights by using unreasonable force.

Police are seeking additional witnesses to Gray's arrest, and the state's attorney's investigators have also been in west Baltimore, conducting their own interviews.

toomanydoses

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in Florida
Did I say they would? I just said I saw that they did. The standard is his life was taken CAUSE he was black. That's hard AF to prove, unless there is a video with the pigs saying as much. Just posted that to add to the thread.
:comeon: they aint gon do shyt...

at this point they are useless and Black people should set an example to these pigs by other means necessary.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
There have been black men that have been killed by police after stopping and surrendering (mike brown) and have been shot while handcuffed after being arrested so what's the point your trying to make here? Black men are simply held to different standards by police so it doesn't matter if they do all of that...it's not gonna stop a racist police officer from killing them.

Mike Brown does not fall into the category of staying stationary, not resisting, and staying quiet in compliance with officer orders from second one... and the sample size you'd have of anyone dying while acting like that is so extremely small...

So again... I ask... and I challenge someone to do this without a worthless ass, empty neg... what is the temporary solution if it's not staying stationary, not resisting, and complying in silence until you can speak to an attorney...

WHAT IS THE ANSWER?

:francis:

Cuz right now... you're basically saying running and resisting are great ideas.

:mjlol:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
It doesn't matter what the hell we do. You can be shot by them..
If you are just minding you're own business.
if you're trying to give them your vehicle info, id, and insurance.
If your in a store on the phone talking to your fam.
And on and on and on...

This will continue to get worse and worse.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Mike Brown does not fall into the category of staying stationary, not resisting, and staying quiet in compliance with officer orders from second one... and the sample size you'd have of anyone dying while acting like that is so extremely small...

So again... I ask... and I challenge someone to do this without a worthless ass, empty neg... what is the temporary solution if it's not staying stationary, not resisting, and complying in silence until you can speak to an attorney...

WHAT IS THE ANSWER?

:francis:

Cuz right now... you're basically saying running and resisting are great ideas.

:mjlol:
No I'm not. I'm basically saying that it doesn't matter if people ran or resisted when cops have killed black men for NEITHER!

Get this through your thick skull! IT DOESN"T MATTER! If you can't recognize the obvious double standard between when black people and whites/others are dealing with police and the disparity between the aftermath of those police encounters when it's held in regard to police brutality/violence, then there is no point in me trying to explain anything to you cause you're going to be dense just for the point of agitating people who have dealt with this type of situation too much. You know what you're doing, and you know how it's going to be perceived and how people are going to react to it. Obviously this is what you want.

You want an answer? Tell your people to stop killing us for breathing thard and letting other white people get away with resisting arrest, running, shooting at them, taking their weapons, and posing a REAL threat and still manage to get taken in alive.

I swear, it is not worth arguing with people like you. Just be satisfied with this response.

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
I got folks in Bmore and this is what is going down in the city with protests:

11129685_10205154831368258_7387033447503304420_n.jpg

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is the vid that really got to me. They did something to him as they arrested him. If he was running, why did you have to drag him to the van? son couldn't even walk.

:mindblown: his leg is broken?

If he was in their custody and somehow broke his neck shouldn't there be a report saying what happened? Did they just say, "we found him this way:manny:"