Baldur's Gate 3 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series) [no open spoilers]

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
First time trying out a D&D game and I'm struggling. I played tons of SRPGs and turned based games, so IDK. The Goblin camp is fukking me up. Any tips? I'm level 3 with the armor and weapons you get at the beginning.
try to do everything you can before dealing with the goblins

This.

Once you get to level 4 or 5 you can pretty much just out muscle them but theres still more elegant ways of dealing with it to make your life easier if the method you’re using is just kicking down the front door.

Thats kind of the beauty of this game, if it doesn’t seem super feasible to do it in real life then theres probably other ways of doing it. It’s ultimately always about strategy, whether you do it through quest related means or combat. Like you can literally sneak in to the goblin camp through the back if you have the ability to do so.

I think the camp has like at least 4 entry points. You don’t need to move the difficulty down, just find a strategy that works. Bulldozing the combat isn’t going to Mae the experience more fun

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
you can make your own fun playing anything but ranger is objectively the worst class in dnd and bg3

Yeah, i figured…. I wanted to build some kind of rapid fire crossbow type build like some of the trolls but naw this shyt is wack. I was doing massive damage as a barbarian, and now im hitting with this pea shooter (sometimes) for 8 damage again.

I’m gonna go monk just because I’ll be able to feel strong again. Ranger also requires too much prep in battle, first with the pre-combat summon of a familiar than with true strike, and hunters mark, etc.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
you can make your own fun playing anything but ranger is objectively the worst class in dnd and bg3
:huhldup:
Objectively untrue in BG3
Ranger has one of the higher damage potentials of the martial classes. Fighter only beats it at 11 and Paladin only wins because... it's fukking Paladin and cheats :francis: Divine Smite with level 5 spell slots needs to be nerfed.

They just... are kinda terribly designed on face value. Ranger basically the tabletop Rogue in BG3 - you gotta know precisely what you're doing or you're gonna be ass. But if you know precisely what you're doing... well.

I respeced Shadowheart into a monk/ranger on my second playthrough and have been soloing combats with her while the rest of the party is out trying to talk their way through things.

She routinely ends up waiting on everyone else to catch up to her and her pile of dead bodies :mjlol:

Worst (sub)classes in BG3 are Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster and I will literally die on this hill.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Is monk more fun?
Monk is amazing, especially the Open Hand subclass. Once you get to level 6 they really start putting dents in everything

Worst (sub)classes in BG3 are Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster and I will literally die on this hill.

Eldritch Knight is really good if you’re going for a defensive build. Shield is one of the best reactions in the game plus they have some other nice utilities I.E free casting longstrider on everyone. Fighter in general is a really strong class though

The trickster though? Ehh. I’m with you. Rogues really ain’t good for much other than the extra bonus action you can get going thief IMO

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
:huhldup:
Objectively untrue in BG3
Ranger has one of the higher damage potentials of the martial classes. Fighter only beats it at 11 and Paladin only wins because... it's fukking Paladin and cheats :francis: Divine Smite with level 5 spell slots needs to be nerfed.

They just... are kinda terribly designed on face value. Ranger basically the tabletop Rogue in BG3 - you gotta know precisely what you're doing or you're gonna be ass. But if you know precisely what you're doing... well.

I respeced Shadowheart into a monk/ranger on my second playthrough and have been soloing combats with her while the rest of the party is out trying to talk their way through things.

She routinely ends up waiting on everyone else to catch up to her and her pile of dead bodies :mjlol:

why type all that out knowing that ranger is a homeless mashup of situational tools that other classes do better :dead: got the worst leveling on-ramp by far on top of that too

they only look good on paper, when everything is going right, with help, and never getting touched lol. at least arcane trickster and ER are subclasses. ranger's whole tree is mid

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Got a Legendary weapon for Shadowheart. :ahh:

Fred.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
why type all that out knowing that ranger is a homeless mashup of situational tools that other classes do better :dead: got the worst leveling on-ramp by far on top of that too

they only look good on paper, when everything is going right, with help, and never getting touched lol. at least arcane trickster and ER are subclasses. ranger's whole tree is mid
I feel you brodie

That said, if you know what you're doing you can make Gloomstalker work. If you wanna. First turn monster.

Nerd shyt
Also, if you go Hunter and run Colossus Slayer you can basically outpace Fighters until they get to level 11, damage-wise. Battle Master's utility shyts on Ranger's though.

Hunter's mark + Colossus Slayer is 1d6+1d8 damage over stated weapon damage before lvl 5, 2d6+1d8 after. Conversely, going animal companion can be the most useful; pet debuffs plus an extra body to soak damage - but... fukk all that.

Ranger can do crazy damage. But ino BG3 they are basically trash as a solo class. If you're still pushing ranger levels after 5, better only be for pet scaling.

The irony is, the monk is trash in 5e, and Larian made it so functional now that it's lowkey jumped the lead for best wisdom/melee. Late game monk with the right gear is :picard: the damage. the movement. the survivability.