Baldur's Gate 3 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series) [no open spoilers]

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
:dahell:How in the fukk am I on my fourth playthrough and still seeing new shyt?
How many of yall got the gale death quest?
I have had gale on 3 of my 4 playthroughs and I have never seen this before today:mindblown: btw that shyt was tedious, I was about to say fukk it and just pour some out for him and keep it moving
good you did. If you don't do it and leave him dead long enough you get a game over because of the orb

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I suggest doing the entire Eastern part of the map, and then go South of the "goblin village" a bit. You should have enough experience/levels and familiarity with the combat system by then to survive the goblin camp.

I should have taken your advice but I was already deep in the goblin camp so I figured I might as well defeat the 3 bosses there and save Halsin. Had a rough ass time. :skip: Lae'zel is the main reason I was successful, I couldn't use any of Astarion's sneak attacks because of some advantage/disadvantage shyt that I have yet to figure out, makes me want to leave his mosquito ass in the camp. Dude even tried to bite me while I slept :dame:

Exploring the east side of the map like you said just cleared a Dank Crypt.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I should have taken your advice but I was already deep in the goblin camp so I figured I might as well defeat the 3 bosses there and save Halsin. Had a rough ass time. :skip: Lae'zel is the main reason I was successful, I couldn't use any of Astarion's sneak attacks because of some advantage/disadvantage shyt that I have yet to figure out, makes me want to leave his mosquito ass in the camp. Dude even tried to bite me while I slept :dame:

Exploring the east side of the map like you said just cleared a Dank Crypt.

That first night in camp with Astarion :huhldup:

The game doesn't really do a good job of explaining stealth mechanics. Advantage means attack rolls are more accurate, disadvantage means the opposite. Armor Class also affects this, so higher armored enemies are more difficult to hit. As you progress in the game this becomes a much bigger deal as martial classes (physical fighters) start to differentiate and gain certain skills.

Since you just started, you want Astarion to attack from behind in melee or completely out of sight if using a bow. If he's in the shadows even better. You can "force" this with use of the darkness spell/scrolls to limit enemy sight. You can use an offhand attack with your bonus action when dual wielding.

Personally, I think you have to do a little more "work" early on to make stealth characters worth it BEFORE your first major class pick. Just have fun figuring it out and later on you'll start experimenting and see how to make some truly killer stealth characters.

Flexington

All Star
Daps

The game doesn't really do a good job of explaining stealth mechanics. Advantage means attack rolls are more accurate, disadvantage means the opposite. Armor Class also affects this, so higher armored enemies are more difficult to hit. As you progress in the game this becomes a much bigger deal as martial classes (physical fighters) start to differentiate and gain certain skills.

Since you just started, you want Astarion to attack from behind in melee or completely out of sight if using a bow. If he's in the shadows even better. You can "force" this with use of the darkness spell/scrolls to limit enemy sight. You can use an offhand attack with your bonus action when dual wielding.

Personally, I think you have to do a little more "work" early on to make stealth characters worth it BEFORE your first major class pick. Just have fun figuring it out and later on you'll start experimenting and see how to make some truly killer stealth characters.

Dual Handbows :banderas:

Also one thing that helped me out and I learned a bit late, if you hold SHIFT you can see the line of sight of the people around you. Comes in handy when you're not sure who can see you before you crouch (and if you crouch out of line of sight you don't have to pull a successful roll).

Try it before engaging enemies in battle (instead of slowly walking up and guessing if they can see you), try it before pickpocketing or lockpicking.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

Word my Astarion was kinda mid for most of act 1 but after around maybe the middle of act 2 he was arguably my best damage dealer, especially with the combo of ranged stealth attacks and being able to hit multiple times

I had him specced as a thief/ranger so there were times where I could get 2 long range shots off as an attack action, then use the 2 bonus actions for off-hand weapon attacks and take out 4 whole enemies without using items or spells :banderas:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay

Since you just started, you want Astarion to attack from behind in melee
or completely out of sight if using a bow. If he's in the shadows even better. You can "force" this with use of the darkness spell/scrolls to limit enemy sight. You can use an offhand attack with your bonus action when dual wielding.
Don't want to step on toes, but this is wrong.

Sneak attack works on any attack with advantage as long as you don't have disadvantage, or when another party member is within a certain range of the enemy.

Bows are easy for sneak attack. Don't worry about being out of sight, it's harder to force in combat than the actual answer: height advantage. Be higher up than them and you sneak attack without worry as long as you aren't too far away.

If you're meleeing with a rogue, just... latch them to the hip of whoever has the closest initiative to them in the combat. Wherever that person goes, bring the rogue and you're golden.

Don't use Darkness to melee in the cloud unless you have Devil's Sight. You'll blind yourself and that gives disadvantage meaning Sneak Attack can't work.

Easiest thing to do with a rogue is just turn on Sneak Attack in the reactions menu. You'll get alerted whenever it can be applied with regular melee attacks. Also lets you sneak attack with an offhand weapon.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Also one thing that helped me out and I learned a bit late, if you hold SHIFT you can see the line of sight of the people around you. Comes in handy when you're not sure who can see you before you crouch (and if you crouch out of line of sight you don't have to pull a successful roll).

Try it before engaging enemies in battle (instead of slowly walking up and guessing if they can see you), try it before pickpocketing or lockpicking.

It's been a while but I remember reading up on some damage maxing builds and dual crossbows with Cross bow expert and some specific weapon kept getting mentioned as the way to go. Dudes kept saying once the melee disadvantage was gone it was lights out for everyone.

One day we gotta make a tier list for feats. I still think Great Weapon Master is by far the best in the game for snowballing fights and making everything simple into most of Act 3.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Advantage means roll twice take the better roll. Disadvantage means roll twice and take the worse one. Being debilitated (blind, prone, poisoned, etc) gives disadvantage and generally will therefore give advantage to people attacking you.
It's kinda confusing but... it's infinitely easier than the rules before 5E. Basically if you think someone being in a certain state in RL combat would mean you have a one-up on them, it probably gives advantage.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

I'm playing on PS5, anyone know the button for this?

BAMBA

The Menace
Supporter
Daps
So the game just ends huh, no NG+ or anything?

:francis:

You get all this great gear in Act III and barely get to use it. I wanted to try a build around that Orin dagger too.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Don't want to step on toes, but this is wrong.

Sneak attack works on any attack with advantage as long as you don't have disadvantage, or when another party member is within a certain range of the enemy.

Bows are easy for sneak attack. Don't worry about being out of sight, it's harder to force in combat than the actual answer: height advantage. Be higher up than them and you sneak attack without worry as long as you aren't too far away.

If you're meleeing with a rogue, just... latch them to the hip of whoever has the closest initiative to them in the combat. Wherever that person goes, bring the rogue and you're golden.

Don't use Darkness to melee in the cloud unless you have Devil's Sight. You'll blind yourself and that gives disadvantage meaning Sneak Attack can't work.

Easiest thing to do with a rogue is just turn on Sneak Attack in the reactions menu. You'll get alerted whenever it can be applied with regular melee attacks. Also lets you sneak attack with an offhand weapon.

Not stepping on toes you're completely correct. Early on I was just sneaking up on people with Astarion and getting advantage on my attacks in melee. I tried to simplify the explanation and it looks weird reading back.

Darkness/fog with ranged attacks forced advantage for you iirc. Height is a big deal for sure with bows. I know you gain a bonus being in shadows too, but I may be thinking of a specific trait/setup.

Flexington

All Star
Daps
It's been a while but I remember reading up on some damage maxing builds and dual crossbows with Cross bow expert and some specific weapon kept getting mentioned as the way to go. Dudes kept saying once the melee disadvantage was gone it was lights out for everyone.

Yep, it was an OP setup even earlier on with sharpshooter feat
and the deathstalker mantle
was a bit too strong.
I put Astarion back in camp for a while he was clearing goblin camp rooms by himself :heh:.

One day we gotta make a tier list for feats. I still think Great Weapon Master is by far the best in the game for snowballing fights and making everything simple into most of Act 3.

I'd also like to say as far feats, one I slept on completely my first playthrough was alert. Putting that on my bard, he'd almost always go first and could crowd control immediately and buff the party.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
So the game just ends huh, no NG+ or anything?

:francis:

You get all this great gear in Act III and barely get to use it. I wanted to try a build around that Orin dagger too.
?

act 3 is bloated as fukk with more unique enemies than any other point of the game. if anything the level cap is more of an odd choice than the gear

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yep, it was an OP setup even earlier on with sharpshooter feat
and the deathstalker mantle
was a bit too strong.
I put Astarion back in camp for a while he was clearing goblin camp rooms by himself :heh:.

I'd also like to say as far feats, one I slept on completely my first playthrough was alert. Putting that on my bard, he'd almost always go first and could crowd control immediately and buff the party.

What kind of bard were you running? Cats kept saying Sword Bard was too wild and needed a nerf lol