Baldur's Gate 3 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series) [no open spoilers]

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Why the breh getting so much flack?
He saved the city and got disowned by his father and still set out to do good :francis:
We ever gonna talk about how the only black character in the party (besides Karlach. I will die on this hill) has a storyline that can be summed up as 'absent father issues and being forced to pay for his one dalliance with a light-skinned woman for the rest of his life'?

I see it, Larian. I'm letting it pass. But I see it :francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
We ever gonna talk about how the only black character in the party (besides Karlach. I will die on this hill) has a storyline that can be summed up as 'absent father issues and being forced to pay for his one dalliance with a light-skinned woman for the rest of his life'?

I see it, Larian. I'm letting it pass. But I see it :francis:

I honestly thought Karlach was supposed to be black coded even though she’s voiced by a yt woman

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Wyll catch flak because he the kind of dude to see a game of 3 card Monty and believe it's legit.

End of the day he is an idealist to a fault and doesn't come off as having common sense on the level of your other party members. Even Shadowheart seems more rugged than him.

But to his credit - he has had a wildly fukked up journey that resulted in getting duped by demons. Maybe all he had left was believing in anything no matter how nonsensical it came across. When you've had so many things go wrong, fukking with demonic powers and not reading the fine print is what it is.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Wyll catch flak because he the kind of dude to see a game of 3 card Monty and believe it's legit.

End of the day he is an idealist to a fault and doesn't come off as having common sense on the level of your other party members. Even Shadowheart seems more rugged than him.

But to his credit - he has had a wildly fukked up journey that resulted in getting duped by demons. Maybe all he had left was believing in anything no matter how nonsensical it came across. When you've had so many things go wrong, fukking with demonic powers and not reading the fine print is what it is.

Minor (nerdy) correction:

He got duped by a devil, not a demon.

Devils are lawful evil, demons are chaotic evil. That's what the Blood War is about.

Devils believe in achieving their goals through logic, contracts, and rules. Demons believe in sheer brute force and chaos.

Fred.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

to me, Wyll seems like the type of hero character we would play and respect in any other rpg game but in the BG/D&D universe being highly optimistic and hopeful is considered a weakness. He’s not an a$$hole like the other characters and people respect him less for it

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
to me, Wyll seems like the type of hero character we would play and respect in any other rpg game but in the BG/D&D universe being highly optimistic and hopeful is considered a weakness. He’s not an a$$hole like the other characters and people respect him less for it
he would've literally attempted to kill karlach without a second thought if the MC isn't there :unimpressed: he starts off full of shyt. yal really spent a whole playthrough talking yourselves into this

and by act 3? :mjlol: he takes do-as-i-say,not-as-i-do to BOLD new heights

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
it's a game where most of the companions that people like are a grade of evil, and the canonical main character origin - Dark Urge - is about as evil as they could force a main character in a game this driven by player choice to be. Even the 'good' endings
involves siding with an obviously evil-aligned character/killing gith Jesus, or becoming a mindflayer
Whole game been skewed toward the evil side of the spectrum since pre-release. They did what they could with Wyll but...

Well-meaning incompetence isn't an endearing hero trait anywhere but in shonen anime in this day and age from a player-perspective. And in the Forgotten Realms?! pssh.

Besides. They wrote cuz super milquetoast. All his best character beats are about Mizora or involving Mizora. The spiciest he gets is when he pulls up on your camp if you recruit Karlach before meeting with him. That nikka coulda been something. But it's like the second he gets talked down, his whole character turns into a boy scout.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
He was tricked :mjgrin:
Well... Mizora worked the space between the lines of the contract, but because she's bound to it, Wyll was probably completely sure she was a devil because he didn't understand the grey area of Lach not having a heart while still being very much a good person. The best of the group tbh.

Just further proves his major fault. He's naive as fukk. Mans swore himself to a devil and been out fancying himself a do-gooder hero instead of sitting the fukk down and learning about what he swore himself to so he can make sure it isn't used against him. His whole character arc is literally that: having his inability to understand his own soul-binding pact fukk him over in various ways.

Wyll's the only of the 3 'good' companions that didn't have to go through some real fukked up shyt to still end up good. He didn't circle back to good after tragedy. He got kicked out the house for doing some dumb shyt and he's been spiraling out ever since.

Gale basically hubrised himself into becoming a WMD because he thought he was smarter than god while also being a god-tier simp. But... he's basically been locked away in solitary confinement eating magic boots for an indeterminate amount of time, while the goddess he did all that shyt for basically ghosted him as a result of his act of devotion. And he's learned nothing because he will go right back to thinking he knows better at the FIRST opportunity. That's sad.

And Karlach... I mean. Lach's story is a literal tragedy instead of just a philosphical one like Wyll's. Her shyt is the most fukked and she's the main one dancing and happy. Mama is double-terminal, and cannot give a fukk about that; she's so happy to just be out of the hells that she's living every day on 11 because it literally could be her last. It's heartbreaking.

And then there's Wyll. 'I took on something way too big for me and it ruined my life, so I'm going to pretend to be a hero and use my gift for good or whatever, never realizing I'm bringing my sworn devil's attention everywhere I go and fukking things up accordingly.' He wants to be a hero but doesn't want to do the work to make sure he doesn't fukk up more than he fixes. It's... dumb.

Wyll's idealism actively works against him, and he, like Gale, has learned nothing from his negative traits ruining his life. It's the story of all the male Origins - going right back to the shyt that ruined their lives in the first place. But at least Astarion and Gale do it chasing power :yeshrug: Wyll does that shyt because he too simple to know any better.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Just further proves his major fault. He's naive as fukk

Yeah, this is what I was going to say before. He’s easily manipulated, even in the end

when you have to choose between renewing his contract and saving his father. Dude just believes anything Mizora tells him, easy work for a devil

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it me or are women fighting better than men in my group? :patrice:

Gale is cool, I like him in my group for fighting but this mfer kept asking me for artifacts :martin: I'm tired of giving them to him.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Is it me or are women fighting better than men in my group? :patrice:

Gale is cool, I like him in my group for fighting but this mfer kept asking me for artifacts :martin: I'm tired of giving them to him.

He a whole magic fien breh :wtf:

On some…

07a5Ou.gif

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Funny enough, I was going to post that Wyll would be the typical hero we would play in an RPG where we get to see his full character arc. In this game he's more so of a realistic outcome of a "Good Hero" - doesn't matter how well you do things shyt happens and wicked beings still prosper. Power matters.