Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Official Thread *Spoilers*

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Go on.....

Is that a problem?

The villain stuff that's been pointed out. Every character having the same voice to a degree the subplots that went nowhere and just the same basic structure of the ticking clock the end and still using some of the same devices from the first one

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Characterization aside because I guess that can come down to preference, but bane and talia's scheme is flawed as hell from a story standpoint and logically the only reason it would be as drawn out and elaborate as it is is because they needed to fill two and a half hours

Bruce having this device that suddenly makes his knee better to the point where he can now break stone with his leg is also crazy because if it makes your kicks that powerful, why weren't you always rocking that?

That whole thing with Blake recognizing him because he gave him a look? For me that didn't work because of this world Nolan created but I also know that may vary person to person.

Then of course the end of the second act beginning of the third with Bruce in the cave. The desolate place of hell that somehow manages to have cable and get the NFL. And then Bruce's back is fixed through a simple punch. So it wasn't broken just needed an adjustment I guess lol. And then of course he becomes a guy who's got nothing to his name once he's in this land with huts but that doesn't matter that he has no money to his name no allies no nothing because he'll be in Gotham in no time. The same place that just so happens to be a military fortified city at this point. Even in a comic book, they'd show Bruce had contact with someone on the inside to get him in and get him out of Calcutta or wherever the hell he was.

And these are flaws because they're storytelling shortcuts and because that's not what Nolan was doing. In two movies where he went to great lengths to explain damn near everything and make everything plausible and understandable, to chuck a lot of that for story convenience is lazy as fukk

Bet you didn't have a problem with how The Joker was inexplicably able pull off all of his carnage in The Dark Knight though:sas2:. You know such as getting bombs onto boats controlled by the military during a lock-down and conveniently everywhere else when the plot required it(Police Station, Hospital) . In addition to having plots that depended solely on sheer coincide. Or Batman puling out a surveillance system at the last minute out of nowhere which helps him track Joker. The entire last act of that film is "drawn out" because what was originally conceived as a two-parter was crammed into one movie which results in a tedious last hour that the movie didn't need. You can tell the movie was once meant to wrap up after The Joker's initial capture.

Batman getting his back fixed is a problem but Harvey Dent casually strolling around with a burnt face that's able to make facial movements isn't:russ:

Not a fan of The Dark Knight Rises, but the problems that people have with it are all present in The Dark Knight. It's just that one movie had an energetic performance and standout charamatic character to mask them and one did not :yeshrug:.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Bet you didn't have a problem with how The Joker was inexplicably able pull off all of his carnage in The Dark Knight though:sas2:. You know such as getting bombs onto boats controlled by the military during a lock-down and conveniently everywhere else when the plot required it(Police Station, Hospital) . In addition to having plots that depended solely on sheer coincide. Or Batman puling out a surveillance system at the last minute out of nowhere which helps him track Joker. The entire last act of that film is "drawn out" because what was originally conceived as a two-parter was crammed into one movie which results in a tedious last hour that the movie didn't need. You can tell the movie was once meant to wrap up after The Joker's initial capture.

Batman getting his back fixed is a problem but Harvey Dent casually strolling around with a burnt face that's able to make facial movements isn't:russ:

Not a fan of The Dark Knight Rises, but the problems that people have with it are all present in The Dark Knight. It's just that one movie had an energetic performance and standout charamatic character to mask them and one did not :yeshrug:.
You always have to suspend some belief in every movie and The Dark Knight is no exception. But the stuff in the Dark Knight is still more plausible in the Batmanverse Nolan setup than the stuff @MartyMcFly noted in TDKR.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

I disagree that the problems on the same level because like @Dillah810 said, it feels more plausible. Plus here's the other thing: When a movie is really good, things like Harvey walking around with half a face aren't as glaring when it's a bad movie. It's the same thing as not noticing the huge error in Jurassic Park when the jeep falls into the T rex paddock and it's this deep deep fall but it's the same paddock that the t rex was easily walking in and didn't have a bottom like that. You don't notice it because you're so engrossed with everything and everything around it works.

Dark Knight is more than just one good performance and a good character, etc. It's a better put together flick. Much better

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gotta stop you right there.

"Dark Knight Rises" is clearly a terrible movie and there's several DC fans on this board....I'm assuming they're DC fans, because I can't see a neutral person defending the movie....anyway, they still swear it's a great movie.

Your name doesn't stand out, maybe you've been lurking, maybe you haven't posted much. But the stan base is just as strong on either side of the discussion.

Fred.
Im a DC stan especially Batman but I gotta admit the whole Batman trilogy was garbage and the last flick was so bad I fell asleep in the theatre

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
TDKR doesn't have the same emotional crescendo that TDK has.

Part of it comes from the fact that it's an ending. You go in expecting all the plotlines to converge into one point that the director is aims to gratify everyone with, so there's a different emotional setup when watching the film. With the first or the middle of anything, the future is a questionmark, so that ":lupe:" -ness heightens the experience. With the first there's a blank canvas, with the second there's suspense as to where it's gonna go, and with the conclusion there's ideas in the person's head of how the film should end,

and anything that doesn't hit that mark is deemed a failure. And when the director tries to be unexpected it's seen as trying too hard.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Characterization aside because I guess that can come down to preference, but bane and talia's scheme is flawed as hell from a story standpoint and logically the only reason it would be as drawn out and elaborate as it is is because they needed to fill two and a half hours

Bruce having this device that suddenly makes his knee better to the point where he can now break stone with his leg is also crazy because if it makes your kicks that powerful, why weren't you always rocking that?

That whole thing with Blake recognizing him because he gave him a look? For me that didn't work because of this world Nolan created but I also know that may vary person to person.

Then of course the end of the second act beginning of the third with Bruce in the cave. The desolate place of hell that somehow manages to have cable and get the NFL. And then Bruce's back is fixed through a simple punch. So it wasn't broken just needed an adjustment I guess lol. And then of course he becomes a guy who's got nothing to his name once he's in this land with huts but that doesn't matter that he has no money to his name no allies no nothing because he'll be in Gotham in no time. The same place that just so happens to be a military fortified city at this point. Even in a comic book, they'd show Bruce had contact with someone on the inside to get him in and get him out of Calcutta or wherever the hell he was.

And these are flaws because they're storytelling shortcuts and because that's not what Nolan was doing. In two movies where he went to great lengths to explain damn near everything and make everything plausible and understandable, to chuck a lot of that for story convenience is lazy as fukk
Don't forget the ghost/hallucination of Ra's appearing to give Bruce some serious plot information. Just a lot of moments that didn't seem like Nolan's style at all...

Daps
Gotta stop you right there.

"Dark Knight Rises" is clearly a terrible movie and there's several DC fans on this board....I'm assuming they're DC fans, because I can't see a neutral person defending the movie....anyway, they still swear it's a great movie.

Your name doesn't stand out, maybe you've been lurking, maybe you haven't posted much. But the stan base is just as strong on either side of the discussion.

Fred.
I say they're Nolan fans

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I disagree that the problems on the same level because like @Dillah810 said, it feels more plausible. Plus here's the other thing: When a movie is really good, things like Harvey walking around with half a face aren't as glaring when it's a bad movie. It's the same thing as not noticing the huge error in Jurassic Park when the jeep falls into the T rex paddock and it's this deep deep fall but it's the same paddock that the t rex was easily walking in and didn't have a bottom like that. You don't notice it because you're so engrossed with everything and everything around it works.

Dark Knight is more than just one good performance and a good character, etc. It's a better put together flick. Much better

Well that's pretty much my point. The Joker character via Ledgers performance masks all of the flaws in the movie. You don't care about them because you're watching it and thinking "Joker/Heath :wow:" and waiting for the next scene with the character. Both movies have the same problems and holes. You can't accept The Joker's implausibility who's schemes towards the end work only because of sheer coincidence, A burn victim walking around one day after being admitted and Batman suddenly pulling out problem solving gadgets out of the blue and then be like :what: when it happens in the next movie. It was all there before, you're even acknowledging that :yeshrug:. So why were they suddenly a movie destroying problem now in Rises?.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
You always have to suspend some belief in every movie and The Dark Knight is no exception. But the stuff in the Dark Knight is still more plausible in the Batmanverse Nolan setup than the stuff @MartyMcFly noted in TDKR.

I don't see how.

What was so implausible about Rises that made it even more far fetched than what happened in The Dark Knight?