Atlanta: The Final Season | Official Thread | FX & Hulu

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Paper Boi could have confirmed it was all real too when he said nah you really here with your friends. Just another thought after a few days of thinking about the finale.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Saw this on reddit

Although I believe the show to be successful, the sushi restaurant likely represents what the Atlanta writers were doing with the show (and other new/experimental/different black media) and the criticism the series receives for not being for black people. Popeyes represents the "salted and battered" culture/film/music/tv shows/media being sold back to black people in their image and not by someone actually from the culture.

"I just keep losing. I mean are some people just suppose to lose? put balance in the universe. Are there just some people on earth who are supposed to be here just to make it easier for the winners ?" - Earn S01E01

Similarly to Earn in season 1, the sushi restaurant owner was upset because he was "losing" or simply not being well-received or supported by the black community even though he was trying to do everything right.

The writers foresaw how the show would be received because it was "different" and incorporated symbolic cultural commentary elements into the show. Even after learning about the origins of Popeyes and the sushi restaurant's backstory, the characters in the show still refused to eat the food because "Resistance is a symptom of the way things are not the way things necessarily should be." Ahmad White S01E01

In the end, they bit the (Popeyes) sandwich of their choosing showing that even the main characters were not free from these behaviors themselves that the show shed a spotlight on over the course of 4 seasons.

\-

**TLDR**

Popeyes: "Bite this sandwich"

Earn, Alfred, Darius, and Vanessa: Gladly

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this on reddit

Although I believe the show to be successful, the sushi restaurant likely represents what the Atlanta writers were doing with the show (and other new/experimental/different black media) and the criticism the series receives for not being for black people. Popeyes represents the "salted and battered" culture/film/music/tv shows/media being sold back to black people in their image and not by someone actually from the culture.

"I just keep losing. I mean are some people just suppose to lose? put balance in the universe. Are there just some people on earth who are supposed to be here just to make it easier for the winners ?" - Earn S01E01

Similarly to Earn in season 1, the sushi restaurant owner was upset because he was "losing" or simply not being well-received or supported by the black community even though he was trying to do everything right.

The writers foresaw how the show would be received because it was "different" and incorporated symbolic cultural commentary elements into the show. Even after learning about the origins of Popeyes and the sushi restaurant's backstory, the characters in the show still refused to eat the food because "Resistance is a symptom of the way things are not the way things necessarily should be." Ahmad White S01E01

In the end, they bit the (Popeyes) sandwich of their choosing showing that even the main characters were not free from these behaviors themselves that the show shed a spotlight on over the course of 4 seasons.

\-

**TLDR**

idk about all that, but Hiro Murai who is Japanese (clearly lmao) directed most the episodes, so it being a sushi place specifically is an interesting thing I didn't think about :jbhmm:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Saw this on reddit

\-

**TLDR**

A lot of the stories were thinly veiled comments on Black Culture/Popular Black Culture/Hollywood.
  • The Goofy Movie Documentary.
  • FUBU joint when they were kids
  • The Darius/Earn commentary on what black people will do for sneakers
  • How Alfred's fans "turn on him" in The Woods (and also in that Amsterdam episode)
There's usually something in every episode that picks at Mainstream Black Tastes.
But they had heat for upper crust/better than you type folks as well. Example - Juneteenth.

Glover wasn't trying to hide the ball at all.