Atlanta: The Final Season | Official Thread | FX & Hulu

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
I don't know if I wanna compare DAVE to Popeye's. Then you're saying Atlanta's this little show with only scant community support.

I don’t think that’s what they were going for but the comparison can be made.

Dave has gotten a lot of widespread acclaim and mainstream attention and was constantly been compared to Atlanta at one point with DG even directly addressing it a few years ago.

IMO, Atlanta is an absolute work of art and a masterpiece that will live on for a LONG time while Dave is much more basic (dikk jokes and bottom of the barrel humor that lacks substance) for folks who can never relate to Atlanta. It’s drive thru (Popeyes) at its core and shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence as Atlanta.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
You know he 110% did :pachaha:
He did because he THOUGHT he was still dreaming.

He had a temporary mental break from hallucinating his brother’s memory. Thats why he was low-energy and melancholy during the final scene UNTIL he saw Judge Judy was real, at which point he became joyful.

Every scene with Earn, Al, and Van was real. THEY are Darius’s “Totem” as it were. The scenes with Darius by himself are all hallucinations in which he’s connected in some way to his brother.

Going into a Pharmacy to get his brother’s medication, something he most likely did for his ailing brother when he was alive

Meeting up with London, who reminds him of time when he was younger and wilder (and when his brother was alive)

Meeting up with his brother and having “comfort food” together (Jollof Rice)

These are all in some way connected to the brother.

The Popeyes was another hint that they were in reality. Remember Darius saw the Popeyes commercial after the first Judge Judy episode played in the opening scene, he got them Popeyes in the car because subconsciously thats the last thing he remembers before going to the tank

Last edited:

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
He''s throwing shot at the sellouts that were saying DAVE was better.
I don't know if I wanna compare DAVE to Popeye's. Then you're saying Atlanta's this little show with only scant community support.

Atlanta fans fiended for this show during the hiatus the way we fiended out for Popeye's every time they had a new deal or a new sandwich

The restaurant metaphor works perfectly. There's a lotta sushi restaurants out there. Atlanta has real cooks making sushi the real way, giving us an authentic black experience. It's giving us that gormet shyt that some people may look at as unappealing. It may be too gross with the room temperature sushi. Even tho that's how it's supposed to be served cuz it's the authentic way. The menu is sophisticated and maybe it's too much for some people.

Some people may just want fast food and not want to fukk with all the sophisticated shyt. So they go to Dave's / Popeye's. They want that salted, battered and fried c00n chicken cuz it's quick and it it taste good. They had that new chicken sandwich recipe come out and had everybody running to them during the chicken sandwich wars.

Some viewers were experiencing cognitive dissonance with Atlanta. They weren't there for the introspection cuz they just wanted jokes. So they ran to DAVE and got their jokes in the form of fast food. Popeye's is a knockoff chicken joint and relatively new, as it opened in 1972. KFC opened in 1924. Atlanta doesn't try to be one of these chicken joints. But that's what some viewers want. A black experience made by a white guy / Italian family who moved to New Jersey.

I'm good with the nikka serving poison fish.

Black Excellence

All Star
Daps
The restaurant metaphor works perfectly. There's a lotta sushi restaurants out there. Atlanta has real cooks making sushi the real way, giving us an authentic black experience. It's giving us that gormet shyt that some people may look at as unappealing. It may be too gross with the room temperature sushi. Even tho that's how it's supposed to be served cuz it's the authentic way. The menu is sophisticated and maybe it's too much for some people.

Some people may just want fast food and not want to fukk with all the sophisticated shyt. So they go to Dave's / Popeye's. They want that salted, battered and fried c00n chicken cuz it's quick and it it taste good. They had that new chicken sandwich recipe come out and had everybody running to them during the chicken sandwich wars.

Some viewers were experiencing cognitive dissonance with Atlanta. They weren't there for the introspection cuz they just wanted jokes. So they ran to DAVE and got their jokes in the form of fast food. Popeye's is a knockoff chicken joint and relatively new, as it opened in 1972. KFC opened in 1924. Atlanta doesn't try to be one of these chicken joints. But that's what some viewers want. A black experience made by a white guy / Italian family who moved to New Jersey.

I'm good with the nikka serving poison fish.
:ehh:

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk

Dave has gotten a lot of widespread acclaim and mainstream attention and was constantly been compared to Atlanta at one point with DG even directly addressing it a few years ago.

IMO, Atlanta is an absolute work of art and a masterpiece that will live on for a LONG time while Dave is much more basic (dikk jokes and bottom of the barrel humor that lacks substance) for folks who can never relate to Atlanta. It’s drive thru (Popeyes) at its core and shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence as Atlanta.
Dave is a shyttier Entourage. Atlanta is Louie but with black people.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

I don't totally disagree, but I think the show being about Lil dikky causes people to think there's nothing compelling about the show itself. For example, the Atlanta episode about mental health was really good and it showed a vulnerable aspect of it that doesn't get shown. on Dave, you see it affect GaTa and everyone else around him directly.

For all the acclaim Dave has received, Atlanta has always received 10x more of it. The comparison I think struck a nerve with Glover because the ratings for Dave were higher even though it was on FXX and FX propped that up. Usually when shows get compared they're usually lazy ass comparisons, like when any black crime drama show gets compared to The Wire.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Only reason why I don’t think it’s real
Is because Vans pants changed at the end
Zebra lining on the headrest in the car
Her pants were zebra print
The Maserati was the same color as the valet awning
I think it was all about loss for Darius
London must’ve died because he seemed to really be fond of her/damn near lost love type ish
Could’ve lost her to drunk driving or a police chase
Also the kid she hit was wearing the same color helmet as the Maserati
That 2pac death from season 3 has more meaning now to me
And Van going crazy in season 3 could mean she is still alive but has survivors guilt like Darius
I also for some reason don’t think Lottie is still alive
With that being said
I think the Glover Brothers made abstract art like looking at a painting in a museum
If you are into paintings and other various forms of art media
You know that everything an artist does is conveyed differently to their audience
There’s no one right answer when it comes to these things
But like someone pointed out and certain posters in this very thread were doing
Brotha Shabazz at the ending was calling out the audience
Why is it that people love them some Van Gogh
But as soon as a nikka does something not confined to everyday thought
It’s too convoluted or hard to understand or it’s some cac shyt
nikkas love to say they are cultured but when something comes out that moves the culture forward
Shows how black folks are not only multifaceted but also shows that even though we all have shared experiences
We didn’t all grow up the same/outlooks on life are different
We are more well rounded than the media will have you believe
Atlanta was just that
An umbrella that showed the range of the black experience

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
He did because he THOUGHT he was still dreaming.

He had a temporary mental break from hallucinating his brother’s memory. Thats why he was low-energy and melancholy during the final scene UNTIL he saw Judge Judy was real, at which point he became joyful.

Every scene with Earn, Al, and Van was real. THEY are Darius’s “Totem” as it were. The scenes with Darius by himself are all hallucinations in which he’s connected in some way to his brother.

Going into a Pharmacy to get his brother’s medication, something he most likely did for his ailing brother when he was alive

Meeting up with London, who reminds him of time when he was younger and wilder (and when his brother was alive)

Meeting up with his brother and having “comfort food” together (Jollof Rice)

These are all in some way connected to the brother.

The Popeyes was another hint that they were in reality. Remember Darius saw the Popeyes commercial after the first Judge Judy episode played in the opening scene, he got them Popeyes in the car because subconsciously thats the last thing he remembers before going to the tank

How do you explain the first episode when they got shot?

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
what did you like about that one so much?
Resonated with me because when I was that age and made the move from private school to middle school, I was kinda like Earn. Not FUBU but wanting J’s, Ralph or Tommy or whatever was in style at the time. My folks wasn’t having it and would send my ass to go shop downtown at spots I knew was selling look a likes lol… Pushed me to do some stupid shyt to get $$ and be fly like the cool kids in school.