At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

BlackPrint

The Mayor
Daps
Reppin
NYC
No.
Although you say Africans are raised with a "eurocentric framework"

That Eurocentricity is the exact reason why it's easier for West Indians to assimilate

b/c yall are still westernized with european names like African Americans.

As far as Africans, The reason why its a little harder to assimilated in to African American culture is simply because of cultural differences.

plus many African come here for Economic reasons.

And since WHITE people are on the top of the totem pole, many parents attempt to raise there children to mingle with whoever is closest to the resources, which is white people
no different than the chinese, indians, latinos

Although Im starting to see more and more Africans just sticking with their own,

Yes.

There's definitely weight in the idea that there is a shared ideological basis (Pan-Africanism is moreless a AA\WI colab, with seminal figures on each side) but we're not solely talking about assimilating culturally, Africans don't 'Become AA' because they a sizeable amount of them flatout do not like us. That's seen in the way they regard themselves seperately in social matters (police shyt, church shyt, school\college groups). That fundamental shift is what inhibits any type of relationship.. Not because their culture is different than ours.. American Black people love everybody lol.

As far as being westernized.. nikkas in Africa are DEFINITELY more with the program than we are lol..Eurocentric social structures and governments.. If anything, it's us in the diaspora who have fought off the westernization of our people more than the African has... And I hate to put it like that cuz it sounds like a knock but it is what iti is.

Latinos (I'm speaking from a NY standpoint (PR\DR) but there are parallels with the Mexicans out west) are more in line with Blacks than Africans are.

The last bit you said about Africans viewing whites as the idyllic social class speaks to the Eurocentric framework I mentioned.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes.

There's definitely weight in the idea that there is a shared ideological basis (Pan-Africanism is moreless a AA\WI colab, with seminal figures on each side) but we're not solely talking about assimilating culturally, Africans don't 'Become AA' because they a sizeable amount of them flatout do not like us. That's seen in the way they regard themselves seperately in social matters (police shyt, church shyt, school\college groups). That fundamental shift is what inhibits any type of relationship.. Not because their culture is different than ours.. American Black people love everybody lol.

As far as being westernized.. nikkas in Africa are DEFINITELY more with the program than we are lol..Eurocentric social structures and governments.. If anything, it's us in the diaspora who have fought off the westernization of our people more than the African has... And I hate to put it like that cuz it sounds like a knock but it is what iti is.

Latinos (I'm speaking from a NY standpoint (PR\DR) but there are parallels with the Mexicans out west) are more in line with Blacks than Africans are.

The last bit you said about Africans viewing whites as the idyllic social class speaks to the Eurocentric framework I mentioned.
yes the institutions are Eurocentric, then again, most republics on earth are somewhat eurocentric,

But the people aren't. Except a few c00ns in the government.

I don't see how thats hard to understand

But I will agree that a lot of Africans that come here, try the most to be accepted and eventually spew the same rhetoric as a fox news anchor. As if that suppose to give them an edge

But there are plenty of African Americans c00ns on fox news so :yeshrug:

BlackPrint

The Mayor
Daps
Reppin
NYC
yes the institutions are Eurocentric, then again, most republics on earth are somewhat eurocentric,

But the people aren't. Except a few c00ns in the government.

I don't see how thats hard to understand

But I will agree that a lot of Africans that come here, try the most to be accepted and eventually spew the same rhetoric as a fox news anchor. As if that suppose to give them an edge

But there are plenty of African Americans c00ns on fox news so :yeshrug:

truuu

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
AA may be an ethnicity and not a race but I can see Africans becoming "Black" and because this is nearly interchangeable with AA their 2nd/3rd generations would become AA by default.

I understand some AA arguments here but it's like the WASPs saying that Irish, Italians, Slavs, Jews, etc. could not be true White Americans based on the history WASPs trace back to the Pilgrims etc. In the end White got repurposed to make the tent bigger and I think AA will too.

It will be interesting to read this Coli thread 30 years in the future when the kids of all the AAs, West Indians, and Africans on this site are fukking and marrying each other. I doubt there will be much argument then.

Especially if shyt hits the fan economically and the West Indians/Africans figure they can't get away from the heat, we will unite. But my wife is West Indian (my family is from Bama/Georgia), I have a close relative married to a Ghanian, and consider myself a Pan-Africanist so maybe I am biased.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They'll assimilate in some ways, though they'll also likely still have links to their culture and heritage, which differs from AA culture.
They have much higher high school, college, and graduate school graduation rates, and as a population much higher incomes than the general AA population as well.
Once assimilation is "achieved" there will likely be a bimodal distribution between African immigrants, and DS AAs, in terms of education and income.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I understand some AA arguments here but it's like the WASPs saying that Irish, Italians, Slavs, Jews, etc. could not be true White Americans based on the history WASPs trace back to the Pilgrims etc.

Terrible argument.

AA trace their lineage to a small amount of slaves who gained in size by procreation.

Majority of Whites do not trace their ancestry to the Pilgrims. And best believe those White folk who come from those lineages delineate themselves from "others."

This is the digital age. It is only going to be easier going forward to pull up ancestral records and see whose people were where 50, 100, 200, 300 years ago.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Lol nikka for you but not for others around the country. Being black in america automatically puts you in that category even if you don't want to be.

AA'S don't have the scoop on who's what and can lay claim to what. White people and the government do.
the general ignorance of how the govt views the term is beside the point
Its creation was meant for blacks of american ancestral descent. Not narrowing it down further was literally just lack of foresight on Jesses part
And lol thinking this is my personal opinion

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
This is confusing...why even use the term "African American" then? By most of the answers in this thread Obama, son of an African in America, is not African American...He's Kenyan-American, and Kenya is in Africa...but he's not African-American...ok.

I understand the different history, but the term "Black American" seems more appropriate then for those who distance themselves from Africa, and not integrate African immigrants. Why keep the "African" in what you call yourself, when you separate yourself from other people who come from Africa too? Words should reflect your position.

If that's really your approach, indeed you are an American that happens to be Black, so might as well call yourselves like that...I mean no one says "European-Americans", because White Americans are just that, Americans who are white :yeshrug:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
This is confusing...why even use the term "African American" then? By most of the answers in this thread Obama, son of an African in America, is not African American...He's Kenyan-American, and Kenya is in Africa...but he's not African-American...ok.

African Americas come from MANY countries in Africa thus no distinction.

Kenya is one country in Africa.

Yall Africans are really trying way too hard to weasel your way into this.

White Americans are not mixed up to the extent African Americans or other diasporans are. When White people say what they are its usually two European countries at most in the same geographical area.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
I understand the different history, but the term "Black American" seems more appropriate then for those who distance themselves from Africa, and not integrate African immigrants. Why keep the "African" in what you call yourself, when you separate yourself from other people who come from Africa too? Words should reflect your position.
Being American is a nationality. Being African American is an ethnicity. Like Afro Brazilian, Afro Latino, Afro Cuban etc. nobody is trying to distance themselves from Africa by acknowledging their own unique culture/ethnicity.