At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
African Americas come from MANY countries in Africa thus no distinction.

Kenya is one country in Africa.

Yall Africans are really trying way too hard to weasel your way into this.

White Americans are not mixed up to the extent African Americans or other diasporans are. When White people say what they are its usually two European countries at most in the same geographical area.

Nah I don't really care, I know it's the coli so tmrw it's gonna be a thread compalining about how African immigrants think they're different, etc. And as I said, Black Americans are Americans first and foremost, thus have the same nationalism. Nothing exceptionnal, we see it in every country.

What I'm saying is why keep the term "African" if you want to distance yourself (or distance Africans) from you? Would make more sense using Black American, if you want a clear distinction with Africans in America.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's dumb is the play on words.

So Ethnic American Blacks and Motherland Blacks share the same ethnic identity...?

Research.
most black people around the world share a common culture,
when im in America I don't feel out of place or in a different culture, I feel just the same as when im in Europe

Daps
Africans are not my people and my family is not from Africa. The term "African American", that came from the white man, is a misnomer... the majority of the black people in the Americas and Caribbean were already here before the Europeans came here and enslaved us... keep believing that lie that our ancestors were wild uncivilized Africans that the white man had to tame, enslave, and bring over here to become human capital...

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Being American is a nationality. Being African American is an ethnicity. Like Afro Brazilian, Afro Latino, Afro Cuban etc. nobody is trying to distance themselves from Africa by acknowledging their own unique culture/ethnicity.

Whole thread is about putting a clear line between Black Americans and Africans in America, so maybe "distanciating" is not the correct word, but whole thread is about distinguishing these two sets of people.

Maybe you can clarify for me, maybe I don't understand well : you say African American is an ethnicity, ok, but where does that ethnicity come from?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
What I'm saying is why keep the term "African" if you want to distance yourself (or distance Africans) from you? Would make more sense using Black American, if you want a clear distinction with Africans in America.

Because "Africans in America" are not multi-ethnic Africans. If an Igbo and a Yoruban see themselves as different but both are of African descent then it should be easy to understand why AAs who are literally DOZENS of ethnic groups rolled in one would see themselves as a stand-alone entity.

Daps
Question

Why is it that when Africans come to America they don't fukk with the black people in America? They separate themselves just like the Asians, Indians, Mexicans, Arabs, etc... but just because they're "black" they're our long lost brothers right? Nah...

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: My point exactly. This week it's
"I'm not African American I'm black, I never been to Africa",

next week it's "I'm African American, Africans born in america aren't African American but black".

Lol i'm seriously laughing.

This is confusing...why even use the term "African American" then? By most of the answers in this thread Obama, son of an African in America, is not African American...He's Kenyan-American, and Kenya is in Africa...but he's not African-American...ok.

I understand the different history, but the term "Black American" seems more appropriate then for those who distance themselves from Africa, and not integrate African immigrants. Why keep the "African" in what you call yourself, when you separate yourself from other people who come from Africa too? Words should reflect your position.

If that's really your approach, indeed you are an American that happens to be Black, so might as well call yourselves like that...I mean no one says "European-Americans", because White Americans are just that, Americans who are white :yeshrug:

Daps
Tricky topic. I'm Haitian-American and I have 1st Gen / 2nd Gen cousins who are pretty Americanized ( can't speak Creole, don't know how to cook Haitian food, never been to Haiti, etc ). Honestly the only diff between them and AAs is last names lol.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
most black people around the world share a common culture,
when im in America I don't feel out of place or in a different culture, I feel just the same as when im in Europe

Word.

The common thread we experience is the effect of white supremacy and how we are perceived. First by skin color. Then by nationality.

I agree some cultural practices overlap...but there is some reason that I can feel comfortable in Europe around Africans... but get the akata treatment otherwise in Africa.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
What's dumb is the play on words.

So Ethnic American Blacks and Motherland Blacks share the same ethnic identity...?

Research.
Not every black American is African American. Africans that migrate and live in states are black Americans but they are NOT African American. They may relate more with African Americans than people from their home country but it still doesn't ethnically make them one. I also would like to make the point that not all African Americans are "black" if you know what I mean.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Africans are not my people and my family is not from Africa. The term "African American", that came from the white man, is a misnomer... the majority of the black people in the Americas and Caribbean were already here before the Europeans came here and enslaved us... keep believing that lie that our ancestors were wild uncivilized Africans that the white man had to tame, enslave, and bring over here to become human capital...
tumblr_ogjsmyne6g1tfywvwo1_400.gif