At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Africans are not my people and my family is not from Africa. The term "African American", that came from the white man, is a misnomer... the majority of the black people in the Americas and Caribbean were already here before the Europeans came here and enslaved us... keep believing that lie that our ancestors were wild uncivilized Africans that the white man had to tame, enslave, and bring over here to become human capital...
Nope

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Whole thread is about putting a clear line between Black Americans and Africans in America, so maybe "distanciating" is not the correct word, but whole thread is about distinguishing these two sets of people.

Maybe you can clarify for me, maybe I don't understand well : you say African American is an ethnicity, ok, but where does that ethnicity come from?
The African American ethnicity came from our African Ancestors who were abducted from their homeland, brought to America and forced to be slaves and all the things that came along with that with that situation to put it simply.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
Not every black American is African American. Africans that migrate and live in states are black Americans but they are NOT African American. They may relate more with African Americans than people from their home country but it still doesn't ethnically make them one. I also would like to make the point that not all African Americans are "black" if you know what I mean.

I understand that Black is a label.

I am a melanated man first and foremost.

My culture and ethnicity is that of descendants of American slaves.

Sum it up however you want.

I was given this label as a mark of ownership. Too much history to place it into one "name" that doesn't explain my identity.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Because "Africans in America" are not multi-ethnic Africans. If an Igbo and a Yoruba see themselves as different but both are of African descent then it should be easy to understand why AAs who are literally DOZENS of ethnic groups rolled in one would see themselves as a stand-alone entity.

I have no problem seeing Black Americans as a stand-alone entity, that exactly what I'm saying : Black Americans are Americans that are Black. I don't see White Americans as Belgians, Danes, French, English, Italians, Hungarians, Italians, Spaniards, Germans, etc etc etc...I see them as White Americans, not as "European-Americans" : that makes little sense, since like you said it's dozens of ethnic groups roled in one. They have European descent (like Black Americans have African descent), but indeed time has passed, a specific history in a specific environment far removed from Africa has created a specific culture, we all know that.

Which why I don't understand why y'all use the term "African-American", when "Black American" makes more sense, according to this logic.

Daps
Pan Africanism is an a delusion. I am glad I got out of my whole wanting to be African phase. Only thing I want from Africa is reparations. And the only Black people I can see myself getting with is Afro-Latinos...just so can we push for reparations.

African immigrants are coming over here and they ain't coming over to be friends with us...and they ain't coming over here and letting us go get land and oil from Nigeria or Ghana...

They coming over here and taking our spot. We should've learned from West Indians but we didn't. Now we have a second wave of African descendant people coming over here and I am glad that we starting to look at them like...:wtb: instead of being on some :blessed: "Brother! Sister!" shyt...

We gonna have to kill this stupid pipe dream of wanting to be African and inclusive...

We are descendants of slaves, we made our life here, we fought here and we gonna die here.

And I don't care if is White person, an African, an Asian or a Latino...we are the True Americans. We have a more of a right to this country than anybody. Even Native Americans. I don't give a fukk about them either. They had slaves, fukk 'em.

We need to stop being soft and they start asserting ourselves as the founders and creators of the USA. Crackers stole it from us, they didn't build this shyt.

Yikes.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
since like you said it's dozens of ethnic groups roled in one.

The average European is not "dozens of European ethnic groups" rolled in one. The average White American genetic ancestry is more recently tied to their homeland and less diverse often coming from one or two geographical areas. Equating White American assimilation to the African American identity formation is dishonest.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: Igbo people who migrated to lagos pre nigeria are yoruba today. Likewise the yoruba who migrated to PH pre-nigeria are ikwerre or ijaw today.

Because "Africans in America" are not multi-ethnic Africans. If an Igbo and a Yoruban see themselves as different but both are of African descent then it should be easy to understand why AAs who are literally DOZENS of ethnic groups rolled in one would see themselves as a stand-alone entity.

Daps
tumblr_ogjsmyne6g1tfywvwo1_400.gif

u need to read

http://thehouseofsankofa.com/books/Ivan-Van-Sertima-They-Came-Before-Columbu.pdf

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: Igbo people who migrated to lagos pre nigeria are yoruba today. Likewise the yoruba who migrated to PH pre-nigeria are ikwerre or ijaw today.

I don't believe you :yeshrug:

You're more than welcome to believe marking a category on a worthless piece of paper makes you an ethnic group. Not my identity problems.

Remo

Pro
Daps
Tricky topic. I'm Haitian-American and I have 1st Gen / 2nd Gen cousins who are pretty Americanized ( can't speak Creole, don't know how to cook Haitian food, never been to Haiti, etc ). Honestly the only diff between them and AAs is last names lol.
A legacy of American slavery and Jim crow also differentiates them. I really don't get whats so tricky about this.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Africans are not my people and my family is not from Africa. The term "African American", that came from the white man, is a misnomer... the majority of the black people in the Americas and Caribbean were already here before the Europeans came here and enslaved us... keep believing that lie that our ancestors were wild uncivilized Africans that the white man had to tame, enslave, and bring over here to become human capital...

:dahell:

Daps
If you are Cherokee why don't you retain any of your culture

You let cacs completely brainwash you :pachaha:

Aight Wild horse:pachaha:

You need to take a reading comprehension class because I never said that the so-called Native Americans are my people. So-called black people are the natives... believing that we were all shipped over here during the trans-atlantic slave trade is the white man's brainwashing, brotha.

U need to read as well

http://thehouseofsankofa.com/books/Ivan-Van-Sertima-They-Came-Before-Columbu.pdf