At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: Haha nikka There are a significant amount of africans who are ethnically diverse from different countries because they're not from a village but from cities. Be it Accra, Lagos, PH, Freetown, Monrovia, Lome, Dakar, Luanda, Victoria etc.

And once again, Africa is not a monolith and a pretty massive and diverse place. Being "from Africa" when you really mean a village in Yoruba land is not the same as having ancestry that spans 3/4 the continent. Not hard to understand.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Breh...I know damn well Africa is not a monolith lol come on...and since indeed it isn't a monolith, why use "African" American? That's as vague as you can get

Yes I think the whole admixing thing is what really makes the specificity, that and the experience/new envrionment.

He's actually from Jamaica, but born and raised in the US.

SO "New Afrikans" another way of calling "African-Americans"?

I agree with all the post, like I answered to this other breh above you I think the real difference here is all the mixing that happened, and indeed the fact that you cannot trace where it is you come from. But it's interesting that some precisely want to distinguish themselves from Africa, while calling themselves "African American"...I see this is not your case though, while acknowledging the specific nature of Black Americans you use "New Afrikans"
You starting to get it breh but I feel the need to explain/highlight something about the varying degrees of admixtures of African Americans. During the antebellum period, interracial "mixing" varied by geographical location and the social norms within these areas. You have some black communities who might be more mixed up like the Louisiana Creoles and those who have for the most part retained their "Africaness" like the Gullah/Geechee of South Carolina. So you can't solely go by an African Americans admixture because both of these groups are African American.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: Haha nikka There are a significant amount of africans who are ethnically diverse from different countries because they're not from a village but from cities. Be it Accra, Lagos, PH, Freetown, Monrovia, Lome, Dakar, Luanda, Victoria etc.

Yeah no.....

This
Yoruba_zpsd21e78b8.jpg~original

Aint this

maxresdefault.jpg

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I think AAs prolly have the most admixture (of different African ethnicities) of the diaspora

I could be wrong

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Funny how this site complains about Africans have the :mjpls: attitude towards AAs when this thread is showing quite the opposite.

I love AAs, plenty of AA friends as I grew up running track but I have no interest in abandoning my culture into the AA community

And from what I've seen, most of yall only interested in us primarily for the exotic "motherland" p*ssy.:mjpls:

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Funny how this site complains about Africans have the :mjpls: attitude towards AAs when this thread is showing quite the opposite.

I love AAs, plenty of AA friends as I grew up running track but I have no interest in abandoning my culture into the AA community

And from what I've seen, most of yall only interested in us primarily for the exotic "motherland" p*ssy.:mjpls:
Who and what was said in here that gives you :mjpls:Vibes?

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps

So AA's simply asserting our ethnic and cultural identity is an issue?

You said it yourself you have no interest in assimilating, and many of your counterparts feel the same so what's the problem?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Terrible argument.

AA trace their lineage to a small amount of slaves who gained in size by procreation.

Majority of Whites do not trace their ancestry to the Pilgrims. And best believe those White folk who come from those lineages delineate themselves from "others."

This is the digital age. It is only going to be easier going forward to pull up ancestral records and see whose people were where 50, 100, 200, 300 years ago.

I think you misunderstood part of the argument. Majority of Whites of course don't trace back to the Pilgrims. I was just stating the original WASPs who claimed White (or Nordic or whatever) for themselves did have if not the Pilgrims, some early settler background. Ethnic Whites who came later did not have this background and still became White.

We who have a slave ancestry will always be distinct in that regard, but I wouldn't be shocked if 50 years from now our kids and grandchildren had a more expansive AA identity like the White identity expanded beyond WASPs and Scotch-Irish.

Part of this will rest on how the majority society treats them though. If Africans and West Indians get away as the 'good Blacks' and become more 'assimilated' slave descended AAs will continue to hold the title to AA alone. If 2nd/3rd generation West Indians/Africans get caught up in the same Black struggle, AA may get redefined. In the end it isn't a matter of what any of us want or define but how the culture evolves. There is only so much control:yeshrug:

badtguy

Superstar
Daps

You said it yourself you have no interest in assimilating, and many of your counterparts feel the same so what's the problem?

There's no problem, just call yourself black americans or new afrkians, problem solved!

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

I have no problem with AA's being proud of their culture. But this thread make it sound as if us Africans are better off becoming AAs rather than continuing our own thing.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
They'll assimilate in some ways, though they'll also likely still have links to their culture and heritage, which differs from AA culture.
They have much higher high school, college, and graduate school graduation rates, and as a population much higher incomes than the general AA population as well.
Once assimilation is "achieved" there will likely be a bimodal distribution between African immigrants, and DS AAs, in terms of education and income.

What you may see is that they marry into the higher SES quartiles of the Black population and there may not necessarily be a bimodal distribution but a higher number of people at higher incomes/education level that have a grandparent or two who was an immigrant.

I remember in college in some lecture they asked everyone with at least one immigrant grandparent stand up and like all the Asians, half the Whites, and the Africans/West Indians stood up. None of the AAs. 50 years from now a lot of AAs will probably stand up due to intermarriage.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I think you misunderstood part of the argument. Majority of Whites of course don't trace back to the Pilgrims. I was just stating the original WASPs who claimed White (or Nordic or whatever) for themselves did have if not the Pilgrims, some early settler background. Ethnic Whites who came later did not have this background and still became White.

I don't buy this argument. Sure other groups became "White" but they did not lose their ethnic identities. White Americans can almost certainly tell you their ethnic orientation and practice an Americanized version of their homeland customs.

Africans become Black in America. They do not become African American.

50 years from now a lot of AAs will probably stand up due to intermarriage.

Doubtful. Black immigrants don't even account for 10 percent of the Black American population.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
I don't buy this argument. Sure other groups became "White" but they did not lose their ethnic identities. White Americans can almost certainly tell you their ethnic orientation and practice an Americanized version of their homeland customs.

Africans become Black in America. They do not become African American.

Doubtful. Black immigrants don't even account for 10 percent of the Black American population.

Not true if you live in the NYC, Boston, DMV, or South Florida.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
I have no problem with AA's being proud of their culture. But this thread make it sound as if us Africans are better off becoming AAs rather than continuing our own thing.
Who said that?

Most people are either arguing that yall can claim AA on that inclusive "Black is Black" tip, or saying you can't because of various reasons.

If anyone said yall need to ditch who are you are I missed it.
:yeshrug: