At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
What if they're mixed like Obama:mjlol:

I don't buy this argument. Sure other groups became "White" but they did not lose their ethnic identities. White Americans can almost certainly tell you their ethnic orientation and practice an Americanized version of their homeland customs.

Africans become Black in America. They do not become African American.

Doubtful. Black immigrants don't even account for 10 percent of the Black American population.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
There's no problem, just call yourself black americans or new afrkians, problem solved!
I'm not understanding your issue with African Americans calling themselves African Americans but you are ok with the terms New Afrikan and Black American. Clarify this for me breh.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
There is no such thing as "half AA". A person who has one parent who is AA. Ethnicity is not race and cannot be measured with the idea of "purity". You can be many ethnicities.
But if one parent is Trans-Atlantic Lineage AA, and one parent is a first generation African immigrant, and you inherit cultural mores from both sides, wouldn't that literally make you AA? In the literal sense.

:patrice:

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
I'm not understanding your issue with African Americans calling themselves African Americans but you are ok with the terms New Afrikan and Black American. Clarify this for me breh.

Lol I don't have problem with anyone calling themselves anything. My point is identify how you want

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:pachaha: Dawg this thread is hilarious.

But if one parent is Trans-Atlantic Lineage AA, and one parent is a first generation African immigrant, and you inherit cultural mores from both sides, wouldn't that literally make you AA? In the literal sense.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

As I said before in the quote you quoted, ethnicity is additive. If you have a AA parent then you are AA. Ethnicity does not function like race which is subtractive or at least that is how the Coli treats race.

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps

Yeah because they are descended from slaves.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
And from what I've seen, most of yall only interested in us primarily for the exotic "motherland" p*ssy.:mjpls:
its interesting that you say this because most children of African/AA unions come from African fathers and AA mothers but I'm sure that's different:troll:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:

Fully depends on the community and how well theykeep the culture.

Traditional Weddings, Wakes, Town Hall meetings, Traditional dress, customs etc are what seperate us from AA.
If this doesn't matter to you, you wont preserve it and you will be indistinguishable from Americans.

If this does matter to you and you preserve then people will always consider you an African.

Even if you don't speak the language

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:patrice: But what if you're grandmother is AA but lived in Africa and you moved back to America and your dad is white?

As I said before in the quote you quoted, ethnicity is additive. If you have a AA parent then you are AA. Ethnicity does not function like race which is subtractive or at least that is how the Coli treats race.

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
:patrice: But what if you're grandmother is AA but lived in Africa and you moved back to America and your dad is white?
Is your pops white and most importantly were you born in Africa? If yes what country were you born in?