At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
:mjlol: Igbo people who migrated to lagos pre nigeria are yoruba today. Likewise the yoruba who migrated to PH pre-nigeria are ikwerre or ijaw today.
if that is so then it's probably because they began to procreate with the main ethnicity in that area thus transforming them into that same ethnicity. This is what @Turk was talking about on the first page of the thread.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
The African American ethnicity came from our African Ancestors who were abducted from their homeland, brought to America and forced to be slaves and all the things that came along with that with that situation to put it simply.

This we know. But I think there's a confusion between how you got to the Americas (abduction) and your siuation once you got there (slavery) on one side, and your ethnicity on the other. The ethnicity didn't change due those external factors, you were still the same people coming over from Africa. And the same ethnicity of those immigrating now.

What changed imo is that you created a specific culture in the new environment and under these specific circumstances. So ethnicity is the same, but culture is different.

Unless we consider all the mixing with Indians, whites, etc...that happened over years. In that case I better understand the use of "African American" and the differences with Africans who are not descendants of slaves, because they do not have the mixing implied with "America"? :jbhmm:

Question : would you say Busta Rhymes is an African-American?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The ethnicity didn't change due those external factors, you were still the same people coming over from Africa. And the same ethnicity of those immigrating now.

There are multi-ethnic Africans of Mande/Bantu/Fula/etc descent along with non-African ancestry wrapped in one immigrating to America? I could have sworn most Africans coming over were of one or two nearby tribes :feedme:

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:manny: I don't care either. But if some says hey are you african american I'm not gonna "no no no"

Plus them minority scholarships be hittin!

I don't believe you :yeshrug:

You're more than welcome to believe marking a category on a worthless piece of paper makes you an ethnic group. Not my identity problems.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Tricky topic. I'm Haitian-American and I have 1st Gen / 2nd Gen cousins who are pretty Americanized ( can't speak Creole, don't know how to cook Haitian food, never been to Haiti, etc ). Honestly the only diff between them and AAs is last names lol.
Becoming "Americanized" or just simply losing your culture is not the same as being AA.

Daps
A legacy of American slavery and Jim crow also differentiates them. I really don't get whats so tricky about this.

Except that there were Americanized Haitians living in America during Jim Crow / Slavery. I wonder what you would classify WEB Due Bois as.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
The average European is not "dozens of European ethnic groups" rolled in one. The average White American genetic ancestry is more recently tied to their homeland and less diverse often coming from one or two geographical areas. Equating White American assimilation to the African American identity formation is dishonest.

I didn't equate the formation of Black American identity with White America though, I said the same way you don't refer to the continent of origin of White Americans, why do you refer to the continent of origin of Black Americans...and at the same time separate yourself that people who come later from that very same continent?

We already established Black Americans are a specific entity, why not call that entity in a way that makes it more clearly specific? Why want to keep the "African" in "African American" when this whole thread is insisting on how non-African "African-Americans" are?

It's funny because I'm actually agreeing with you, I just don't understand why keep using a term that doesn't fully show the specifity of Black Americans and their difference with Africans.